Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:06 AM
CUDO

Default CAB. PRICESS RATING C+

Author: cudo
Date: 04-27-04 07:05

Now that you know "what's wrong with Cab Princess??"
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS STRICKLY MY THOUGHTS

we just back from it on eht first inaugural cruise 4/3 to 4/10 West. Cab.. It was below my expectation in the areas of operation, ship programs and buffet food. Same old breakfast buffet every day,
they egg beater for scramble, the salad bar sucks (i can do better at home). Nightly show sucks, the stage broke down after the first dancing show. Do you believe that they charge $ for frozen ice creme!! you get that free every where on Carnival or RCL.
In fact they were so under staffs that your dining room service staffs are always running.And they dont even have time to explain the dishes on the menu, my waiter was charged to server 26 passengers every night. it took a long time to get the food out.
. Dont go for the personal choice dining, some passenger waited a long time every day just get in. Sterling steakhouse was not even close to OUTBACK steakhouse.

ABeautiful kid center but they dont open long enough for th kid to enjoy themrcade equipments were not there as advertised.

Pricess Cay island was a joke and was not good as advertised. You dont need to hurry to get on this island.

**upsetting us the most was the portrait pictures, we paid $120.00 for 6 pictures to find out hat we could have gotten for free the next day. Because they threw them away in a big plastic bag near the cash register the next day and everyone went through them.**

Staffs are wonderful. Especially the nicest bartender in rear updeck near kiddie pool "Merlin", trust me you want to make friend with him.

SOORY FOLKS I JUST PASS ON MY EXPERIENCE WITH CAB. PRINCESS
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: CAB. PRICESS RATING C+

We are going on her in September. I believe a cruise is what you make of it. I am sorry you did not have a good time. What gets me is people always complain about the same old breakfast. What else could the cook add to breakfast? I mean breakfast is breakfast!

Did you make any pictures? Would love to see some. What kind of cabin did you have? Thanks for any info!

Old April 27th, 2004, 09:02 AM
alisar

Why didnt you go to the dining room for breakfast? We plan on eating breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms. We are going this Saturday and I sure hope its better by then!!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:08 AM
asctony@wideopenwest.com

Cudo: Thanks for your review. I do have a couple of questions. Like you say, everyone has an opinion and that was yours.
1. Why was Princess Cay Island a joke and was not good as advertised?
2. I do not believe that you could have gotten any Princess Photos free even when they put them in the trash. If Princess did allow passengers to get photos free on the last day, no one would buy them. What made you think that you could have gotten them free?
3. Was this your first Princess Cruise?
Happy Cruising?
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:09 AM
cudo

Default Re: Re: CAB. PRICESS RATING C+

Yes dining room breakfast/lunch are the right choices to do but took so long to do eat there. We did not want to devote our entire cruise in the dining room wainting to be servered. Especially on the docking day you want to get off the ship early for other fun stuffs. In fact in the buffet areas I think Carnival & RCL do a better job than Pri.
We did have a very nice room with large balcony with patio furniture.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:16 AM
cudo

1. Why was Princess Cay Island a joke and was not good as advertised?
Water was not clear as, snorkling was joke not but trash and soda cans
2. I do not believe that you could have gotten any Princess Photos free even when they put them in the trash. If Princess did allow passengers to get photos free on the last day, no one would buy them. What made you think that you could have gotten them free?
sorry I can answer this question but I saw people walking away with stack of picture and there were no staffs there to collect any $
3. Was this your first Princess Cruise?
No it was my 4th and starting with Carnival....

My next cruise is already in the plan with RCL this time, I figured out that RCL matches our life style better.

Sorry I turned off anyone but at least you would not set your expectation as higher as I did.
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
MTS

Default Re: Re: Re: CAB. PRICESS RATING C+

Whiners!!! UGH!!

I find it so absolutely unbelievable that folks just could not have a good experience going on a cruise. I mean other than the ship sinking or food poisoning that hits the entire ship, you just gotta be someone who loves to complain in order to feel satisfaction.

What kind of food would you like to see in a breakfast buffet? I mean come on, eggs are eggs!

Geeeezzzz Louweeeeeezzzz! Enjoy life, it's way to short!!!!!

MTS

P.S. And this is just my ever so humble little opinion. :-))
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Admiral

The water around Princess Cays is not as clear as 'advertised' and that is Princess' fault? Hm, I thought Mother Nature had something to do with that.

Ice cream charge? Been that way for a while on Princess ships for Hagen Daas, but ice cream is available for 'free' on the ships.

As for eating in the dining room taking longer, I beg to differ, I find it takes longer to eat in the buffet, at least that has been my experience on Princess ships, but I've only been on 27 Princess cruises.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Pea

I don't mind paying for photos...cuz that's what I'm supposed to do! Normally that staff doesn't just stuff them in a trash can and let the passengers go at it. And if someone wants to root around in the trash...well that's just not my cup of tea. But I don't understand how anyone can begrudge the ship charging for the photos.

Pea
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
missty

I am wondering if the problems you had were do to being the first sailing of this ship. If you have read any messsage boards, you know the first few sailing can be the roughest for the crew. It may take a few sailings to have the dinning rooms run smoother, and the shows all ironed out to perfection.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Cudo
I answered you on your other board, too.There were no replies on that one,other than mine. We have enjoyed the Horizon Buffet on every cruise,and prefer it to the Dining Room which is way too formal for us. We go to the DR on Formal Nights only, usually, except for our first cruise when we were "treated" to the cruise by neighbors. We ate with them every night.We don't eat a lot for breakfast, and what the buffet has is adequate for us.Since we don't eat many eggs at home, it is nice to be able to have bacon and eggs every day, if we want it. There is also oatmeal, fruit, cold cereal, danishes, pancakes and other things from which to choose!
Princess Cays is OK for what few hours we have there.I'm not a water person and stick to the beach or a covered area,but enjoy looking out at the water and other folks enjoying themselves snorkeling,etc. I do agree that it is somewhat rocky, but I don't think any ocean is rock free.
As for pictures, on our first cruise I went nuts with pictures.That was most of my account. On subsequent cruises we have taken our digital camera and have been able to get some pretty good results-printed to whatever size we want at home on our own printer. I would pay money for a deluxe shot by a professional that we couldn't duplicate on our own.
As I said on the other site, I trust that the kinks will be worked out,and you will try her again once she has been out awhile. Lynne
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Passenger

we are sailing 10/9. Sorry you were so dissapointed. I see this cruise as a very economical way of our famiy traveling together. We did Disneyworld (not cruise), a couple of years ago and that costs way over 5000, without food. I am not expecting awsome food, no where can you find that with the amount of people being served. I am expecting a nice time with our children and some qt time when they are at the camp. As others have said a trip is what you make of it. Maybe next time try the QE2, I'm sure with those prices everything shoud suit your needs. If you'd like to try you luck again, we'd welcome you on the 10/9 cruise

Take care
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Chapdaddy

I totally disagree with CUDO's post. WE sailed for the first time on the Grand March 04 and we are now hooked. Personal Choice was great, never waited more than 3-4 minutes to be seated, and the buffets were also great. So much to do we didn't do or see it all. WE are booked on the new boat, Carib Princess in Feb 05. As for the photos being thrown in the trash....I don't buy that for a minute. I spoke to one of the lead people in the photo shop and was told that they recycle everything..including unpurchased photos. His post sounds like an all out slam on Princess. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Yeoman

Just my opinion but, Cudo your post was so poorly written I could have screamed. I thought that it was written by a child.Perhaps you could proof read your post before posting since the more mistakes you make the harder it is to read or understand. We all make mistakes and typos ,but I would often have to re-read a sentence just to figure out what you were trying to say.

Rooting through the garbage to take the discarded pictures is basically STEALING!!! Very high class.

Did you snorkle at Princess Cays? We did and thought is was just fine( considering the thousands of people that trample through there every week) The rocky shore and water is good for the fish, some of that is coral you know( oh maybe you don't ) There isn't really much to see snorkling when the bottom is just sand. We loved sitting in a lounge chair and looking at the ship out on the blue ocean.

We did personal choice on the Golden 04/17th and we never waited more than 15 minutes and then that was only on the second formal night. Every other night we just walked in( mind you we didn't try waltzing in at 7:30)

I imagine that being one of the first sailing there probaly were some service glitches. I hardly think the stage breaking down is a normal occurance so that is not the kind of thing that would influence my opinion about a ship or cruiseine.
We loved the shows, but to each his own.

It might be best if you go back to RCCL if that line made you happy, cruising costs too much to not enjoy it.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Admiral

One note on Personal Choice dining (which I choose not to do), remember it is basically like a restaurant, you can or cannot make reservations, but at certain times, there are bound to be lines.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: CAB. PRICESS RATING C+

CUDO....I totaly agree with you write up. My wife and I went on the CP on 4/24 Eastern
This was our first Princess cruise. We have gone with RCI our past Three Cruises and took this one because the price is right. We will be going back to RCI after this.
I usually don't complain but the shows were terrible, the ship was crowded, and the food below average. I will surly pay the extra $100-$150 to cruise with Royal Caribbean next time. On our last cruise that all we could talk about for weeks after was how much fun we had and with this on on the Caribbean Princess that was not the case. We just expected more and kept comparing it to Royal carribean.
Just my opinion and you can do with it what you want.
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I just read the review in an email newsletter from someone who went on the 4/24 sailing .Her review is totally different than the couple I've read from the same trip.She and her husband had a great time, and although there were 2-3 things that weren't perfect, she would sail Princess again.Her perception was far different than the others.I've just seen pictures of the interior of the ship and she is very beautiful.I also have the name of two marvelous bartenders near the pools.This person enjoyed the shows, too.A cruise ship is big enough, and with enough variety of choices,that there has to be something to do and like.By now, I'm sure the glitches have worked out. I've also received word from a couple sailing her this week that everything is fine. Lynne
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Passenger

Lynne..

I was just giving my opinion of CPand our experience with the ship. My wife and I are in our early 30's and 70% of the ship was over the age of 60 and I think Princess gears their cruises to this crowd. You are correct the ship is beautiful. I just said that Royal Caribbean is a better cruise line all around....IN OUR OPINION. Take it for what it is worth. I've been on the big ships of RCI and Now I have been on Princess' Bigest ship. Royal Caribbean is far superior...Food....Entertainment....Service. The shows were by far the worst I've seen.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Lynne &Trevor

Gilly-I will agree that those who travel on the same ships will have different experiences. I'm sorry that you had a bad one.We've never sailed Royal Caribbean so can't compare.We did sail Holland America last year which is supposed to be "the best" but it fell short of our expectations.I appreciate your honest opinion.Others have theirs from a different perspective,which makes for a balance, in trying to make a decision on whether to sail on that ship. We've thought of branching out and trying different cruise lines, as we did last year, but have returned to Princess because it is "comfortable" for us,and we have a history with the Line.This will be our 4th on Princess. My husband will be 65 in Sept and I will be 58 in August, so age probably plays into it. We (at least I ) didn't start my cruising adventures until 1998, so am late to the game.I had been very apprehensive about cruising because of my childhood motion sickness problems.I haven't had an episode so far--knock on wood! After the first cruise,a treat from friends, I had to sell my husband on the practicalities of such a vacation vs travelling on the road.He is now the first on the cruise sites when we return from vacation.The point is,you have your preference for Royal Caribbean because it is comfortable for you.Maybe our cruise on the Caribbean Princess won't be as good for us as those in the past and we'll try RCCL the next time as a change. I'll let you know how we do! Lynne