Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:04 PM
First Mate

Default Caribbean Princess Balconies - Dolphin Deck

Hi:
To anyone thinking of booking a balcony on the new Caribbean Princess, I thought you should know, that on the Dolphin Deck, the balconies are totally uncovered and there's absolutely NO privacy at all. You will be in the point of view from the entire side of the ship. I found this out trying to see where our balcony was located, as we have a cruise booked for this December on the Caribbean Princess, and we have a balcony. I'm happy to say that it's not on the Dolphin Deck. Just thought I'd pass this information along for what it's worth.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Denny

Default Re: Caribbean Princess Balconies - Dolphin Deck

Anita, is this just the Dolphin deck, or are there others like this? Specifically the Baja deck, where we are booked for Sept. I haven't been able to find too much about the ship. Any info you can give me or any direction you can point me in, would be appricated. Thanks
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Caribbean Princess Balconies - Dolphin Deck

Denny:
I found an article on the ship, and it says it's just the Dolphin deck.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
RicM.

I read an article that says Dolphin is totally open, and Caribe is partially. All other decks have full covered balconies. Hope this helps.
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:21 AM
reeces

BUDDY and RicM- Thanks for the info on the balconies, I am thinking about upgrading my room to a balcony. BUDDY I also noticed in a past post that you are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on December 4 and were upgraded (by Princess). We are also sailing then! What level did you originally book if you don't mind me asking, I can't believe you already found out about an upgrade, it seems so early!!!! Thanks in advance for your help! Reeces.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
First Mate

reeces:
This was only the second upgrade we've ever received, out of the 30+ cruises we've taken, and both times it's been with Princess. We've taken more cruises with RCCL (we're Diamond Members) than we have with Princess, but RCCL has never given us an upgrade. We had a balcony booked on the Caribbean Princess and was informed by our TA, that we got upgraded to a higher level balcony, but not a mini suite or anything like that. Our first upgrade we found out about at embarkation and we went from a balcony to a mini suite and that was with Princess. We had a butler and everything; it was really cool. I don't understand why RCCL never upgrades us, when we've been on so many cruises with them. We've also been on Carnival and NCL about six times each and never received an upgrade from them. What's confusing about this upgrade with Princess is; we've had a Island Princess Alaska cruise booked for this summer since way last year, and we haven't gotten an upgrade on that cruise and it's before the December cruise. I really don't understand how upgrades work.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
jodi

I am booked on my first cruise on the Princess Caribbean. We are in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck............is this deck really that bad???
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Denny

Thanks to everyone that answered my question. This is our first time on Princess and we did not want an open balcony. Again, thanks to you all. Denny
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:05 PM
reeces

Buddy-
Thanks again for all the helpful info! We really want to have a balcony on our first Princess cruise so we are just going to pay for the upgrade to that level. We are new to Princess so we aren't expecting any type of upgrade. I've only cruised on Carnvial and we've never experienced exposed balconies on a crusie ship so we'll have to pick a specific room on a deck that doesn't have those!!! It seems a lot of people don't know about the non-private balconies on these ships. Reeces.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here is what the balconies look like on the Grand Princess, which is almost a sister to the Caribbean Princess

The lady relaxing in the sun is on deck 10. Her balcony is half covered. The next balcony down is Dolphin deck 9. These are all mini-suits and their balconies are completely uncovered. Poor design in my opinion, but I got over it when we had a mini in March. The only Mini-suites that have completely covered balconies are on Emerald deck 8. There aren't many of them and therefore priced a bit higher.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MAJESTY2005

You have privacy to a limit.....Depending on which section of the ship you are on.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Admiral

We had a balcony mini-suite, Dolphin Deck on the Golden Princess and yes it is open, but we didn't think about it at all. We were too busy enjoying our cruise, to worry about if the people above us were looking down at us. We felt comfortable on our balcony in our robes & swimsuits. Actually coming into and leaving ports was fun when everyone is out on their balconies, waving to everyone above and below.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Beginner

Hi,
We booked this cabin on Dolphin deck on both the Grand and now on the Caribbean, sailing 5/22.

We have enjoyed it, and don't feel intimidated by the openess, and I think you can see from the picture posted that the Caribe deck balconies are equally open and viewable.
they just provide a bit more shade.

We like the mini's for the additional room, the full bath and not just a shower, and larger closets and living area.

The most interesting though, is that with the extended balcony, we can still look up and see into all of your balconies!

It depends on what you want to use your balcony for, but remember...
we can still look up and see everything!!
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Lynne &Trevor

On the Golden it was nice to see other cruisers like myself out on the balcony with their morning cup of coffee,with some of them in robes, as we sailed into port and otherwise enjoyed the early morning sunshine and relaxation. It was a tiered plan but those who wanted privacy could either go back closer to the sliding door, or sit inside.I sat out on my balcony late into the night,especially on the trip home and read by the "porch light". That was neat. I believe we even passed another ship-possibly the Disney Magic that was in port with us.There lights in the distance and it took awhile but finally came parallel and passed it.She had a later home port call than we did. I think a balcony is great-covered or uncovered. On my first cruise on the Sun Princess, our hosts were on the Aloha Deck with the balcony and we were on the Dolphin, I think,only with a big picture window. I'd sit on the window "seat" and look out, or read.At the times I was with her in her cabin, she stayed in the AC and I went outside and sat on HER balcony!
Lynne
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Passenger

I love an uncovered deck - I enjoy sunning on my deck with a good book. It is so peaceful.
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM
alisar

the sun still comes in to the covered balconies ,sometimes in the morning , other days in the afternoon ,so dont let that stop you from getting a covered balcony
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
DFERM@AOL.COM

You can only see us hanging over our balcany rails , when we sit toward the rear of the balcony we have what you don't .........privacy
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Caribbean Princess Balconies - Dolphin Deck

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...57526701cgFgPL

and the person above you see's the above. The lower deck is the Dolphin deck.
I have another view looking up, but I can't find it right now. I will send along when I can locate it. You may be surprised how much is visible from below.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

My wife and I have just booked the Golden for Sept 19th in a mini suite on the Dophiin deck. The balconies on Aloha and Baja are private but they are also VERY small. There is barely enough room for two chairs and a small table. The entire balcony is only 4 feet deep! We recently sailed on the Explorer and had a private balcony this size and there was hardly enough room to have breakfast out there. What good is a balcony private or otherwise if you cannot put it to any practical use? If we want privacy we'll go in our cabin. If you want pricvacy, don't go on a ship with 2600+ passangers. We chose the mini suite BECAUSE of the oversized balcony.