Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:16 PM
BonnieN

Default Puerto Rico-general info

I have booked a cruise from San Juan on Golden Princess - in August. Should I fly in 1 or 2 days earlier. How's the weather in August? Should I be concerned???
Thanks Much
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Puerto Rico-general info

Flying into San Juan is a long flight, if we can I like to get in a day early to relax and be ready to cruise. If it fits into your plans, try to plan on flying the day before. Its still hurricane season, but I wouldn't be worried about that at this point.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Whiteknight

It's always a good idea to go at least 1 day ahead of time. This allows for any delays by weather, security or any other problems. It also gives you a chance to look around the area and unwind before the cruise. As far as hurricanes are concerned, many of the islands on the southern caribbean cruises are south of the usual hurricane track and those that aren't can always be changed if weather conditions dictate. The southern caribbean is actually the safest part of the caribbean to cruise during hurricane season, which normally lasts from June until November.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
BonnieN

Default Re: Re: Puerto Rico-general info

Thanks Donna - tell me about the pier in San Juan? Nice? easy embarkation?
Should we get passports for this cruise? We've only been on one other a Carnival Imagination two years ago. I am on the ships all the time - but don't cruise. I perform weddings for Princess/Carnival/Royal Caribbean. Looking forward to just relaxing on board!
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Scott c

Default Re: Re: Re: Puerto Rico-general info

First of all Bonnie congrats on finally getting to just relax and enjoy a cruise!!! I would agree with everyone else to arrive a day early just to be safe and have time to relax. I am not sure what time your ship sails but most cruises out of SJU leave around midnight. There are alot of sights to see around Old San Juan, cobble stone streets, old missions and forts as well as many turn of the century buildings. Puerto Rico has very beautiful rain forests as I have been told as another option to your pre cruise expeirience. As far as the pier-----all of the piers are off of Old San Juan with the exception of one----and with my past sailings out of SJU embarkation is very easy and Princess usually does a very good job of embarkation! Bon Voyage !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Puerto Rico-general info

Hi Bonnie,
Yep, I'd think about getting a passport, makes travel a lot less of a hassle, easier and quicker too.

As for the pier, there are actually 2 that the cruiselines use in San Juan. One is right across the street from Old San Juan and the other one is a little bit aways, a short taxi ride. The one at the Pan am pier has nothing right by it, so once you are there an on board, only way to get anywhere is to take a cab..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM
jero20

Hi, I live in Puerto Rico, in Bayamon a city close to San Juan. I can tell you that the weather in August its almost perfect, except if we ha we a hurricane coming (just hope thats not the case). If you want to go sight seeing I recommend that you arrive two days before, because there is a lot to see here in PR, specially in San Juan. I have never taken a cruise before, but I am going to take one in May 29, I going on Caribbean Princess, from Ft. Lauderdale. If you have any question about PR, just ask. And please excuse me if I miss spelled some words, in PR our first language is Spanish, but must of us speak English.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM
BonnieN

Thank you Jero20 - I appreciate the info, and your English is spelled mucho better than some of the "English is their first language" people I deal with. Good luck on your cruise.
Cheers, Bonnie
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Admiral

If you can fly in a day early do it. Its a long flight from most everywhere to San Juan.
Old San Juan is a beautiful city to just wander around and explore. Go out to the old fort at El Morro - very historic and beautiful - you can watch all the comings and goings of the harbor- great place to fly kites. If you have the time take a tour up to the rainforest, its beautiful. Yes, get the passport, so much easier and less of a hassle going through
immigrations and customs with one.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Betti

Maybe you can answer this...no one else seems to know anything about it. We are flying into San Juan a day early for our cruise in June. We have booked a room at the Hotel Excelsior. We have been trying to find out some information about this hotel (we booked online) and now we cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Do you know anything about it? Is it an okay place, just for one night? Thank you for your time and enjoy your cruise!
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
ThomasEU

Just looked up the Excelsior on Yahoo. Got mixed reviews. Didn't remember the location even though we lived there for a while. It is in a residential area with not much to see or visit nearby.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Whiteknight

Actually, the Excelsior Hotel is located on Ponce De Leon in the popular Miramar area and it overlooks the Condado lagoon. The award winning Augusto's Restaurant is located in the hotel. They have a very nice fitness room and provide free transportation to the beach. You might be able to find out some information on it at prtourism.com.