Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default snorkling before my cruise

Thought I would get a feel for snorkiling today, so hopped in the pool with my gear. OMG! I did not anticipate that I would have trouble, but I had a hard time. I was not at all comfortable with the whole breathing thing. I also could not get adjusted so I felt like I could swim freely. So, I guess it's a good thing I am practicing. Any tips out there? Any one else have trouble just relaxing. I am a good swimmer, but don't particularly like the water. I want to get this thing mastered before I am in the most beautiful place in the world and miss out 'cuz I feel like I'm drowning.

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Mona

Default Re: snorkling before my cruise

Just concentrate on getting the breathing thing down. Just stand in the water and put your face down. Remember, once you hit salt water you'll be more buoyant and you'll also be wearing a float vest so you'll feet more secure and comfortable.

I had problems when I first tried snorkeling; now I'm working on my scuba certification. It just takes practice.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Admiral

the key is just to relax and breathe normally. Practice just putting your face in the water and breathing. Listen to your breathing it should sound like normal in and out breathing. Swimming with fins can take a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of kicking you will take off like a jet! The key is to kick from your hips using that up and down "flutter" motion that you would use when swimming the overhand crawl stroke.
Its definatley easier swimming in the ocean.
Just keep practicing and you will get it. Snorkeling is great fun.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Mona

Just one thing....

Your kick depends on the fins you use. If you have split fins (the blade is split down the middle) you kick more from the knee.

If breathing is the real problem, you can practice anywhere. Wear your mask and snorkel around the house. You'll get used to it without the added stress of 'OMG my face is in the water, I shouldn't be breathing!'
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Gaston

Each of the previous suggestions are excellent especially leaning over in waist deep water and standing while practicing your breathing. Snorkeling is quite simple once you control your fears and breathe normally. Let me add just two other thoughts that will make your adventures much more fun not to mention safe. 1. Make certain to get a nice seal on your mask. A leaking mask is a pain and will require you to constantly let out water. 2. Wear a nice pair of fins. The fins will stabilize your swimming position on the surface. The fins will also give you incredible balance and bouyancy which will in turn give you confidence in the water. You will find that the fins will allow you to make adjustments in the water when the water is over your head in depth and you are not near the boat. Of course, you will also have a floatation vest but many snorkelers prefer not to inflate that vest because it will prevent diving down for a closer look. Trust me, fins will make your adventure. Have fun.