Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Rene Morris

Default Which Airline does Princess use?

Hello,
I went through my TA to book my cruise in December. I purchased the package with the airfare. When I log-in "Cruise Personalizer" on the Princess website I look at the airfare part and it says "Princess Air". Does any know what I am talking about? Or has anyone else expirienced this? Does Princess have its own airline? Please help...thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Kathy & Dave

Default Re: Which Airline does Princess use?

We only booked air through Princess once. It was one of the major lines, but I forget which. Probably Continental, USAir or Delta, since they are the major lines in Providence, where I always fly out of.

You won't find out your flight info until a couple of weeks before the cruise.

I won't book air through the cruiselines anymore...I like to be able to choose my flight times. Last time I booked, I was staying over post cruise and didn't have a flight until 7 pm. Got kicked out of the hotel too early to check in at the airport...it was a very long day!

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Admiral

They will book you with their cheapest option. Most always- it is much better and cheaper to book your own air, especially if doing Florida cruises. Extremely easy to get the flights you want, transfers are a simple cab. Consider canceling this option and going on your own, arriving a day early. Most times with a Priceline hotel and booking on your own you are way ahead. Repost- your details- if you care to- you will get specific accurate advice to proceed if you choose to.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:32 PM
JANz

We also planned to use their air in Feb..Just booked my own for 265.00 going down a day before..They were charging us 440.00 each. You can hold onto your air and look for your own. You have until final payment to cancell.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Kathy from Massachusetts

Default Re: Re: Which Airline does Princess use?

If you pay the "custom air" fee ($75?), you can choose your airline and flight times. We usually reserve the air, then look around on our own. Last year we went to Tahiti, and Princess had the best business class fare. This year we're flying to Copenhagen, and did better booking directly with the airline.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The one time we used Princess air, we got Delta, not the best flights. They had us flying in just 2 hours before departure, needless to say we were one of the last people onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Yeoman

Princess air sucks. They had us use Continental going and United coming back. The flight times were horrendus. We paid the 75 "deviation" fee and then were told it would only apply to one way! Yes, they wanted to charge us 150 for changing both flights. They booked the cheapest crummiest air, and we will never use them again. Plus it was exspensive! The worst part is by the time they tell you which flights they are using it's too late to rebook your own since we never were told our flight times till 3 weeks out, meaning all the good flights were booked!
If you have the time, book your own!
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Kathy from Massachusetts

Default Re: Re: Which Airline does Princess use?

One negative I should mention is that if you book airfare through Princess, cancelling before final payment is no problem. We wanted to cancel our cruise from Copenhagen (for work-related reasons), but because we booked directly with Air France on a discounted fare, we could not get a refund. We could change the dates, but with the $300 per person cancellation fee plus the difference in the airfare, which had gone up considerably, we basically would have lost everything ($2000 per business class ticket). So needless to say, we are going on our cruise, which I'm sure will be great, but there is a downside to booking air yourself. On a cheap trip to Fort Lauderdale it is no big deal, but for an expensive trip overseas, I would carefully weigh my options.
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Booking your own flight is generally the cheaper option, but its usually recommended that you fly in a day before the cruise and fly out the day after. This is to ensure that you will make your cruise/flight out even if there are any delays. The one advantage I noticed when cruising last week was that if you book through Princess and use their transfer, they check your luggage at the airport, so you get to skip the first line to get on the ship (where people without transfers check their luggage).
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Passenger

We booked our air with Princess and just got our flights. I had to call. They said they mailed the info out May 19 and I still have not gotten them yet.
We are going Nothwest out to Fairbanks (not a bad time but lousy seats) we are planning on getting to airport early and seeing if we can get the exit row as it is a long flight and I get sick when I sit in the back of a plane) and Delta coming home out of Vancouver. Lousy time! The ship gets in 7:30 am and our plan leaves 4:40 pm! I have no idea what we will do. If I had to do it again, I think I would book my own fights, but this is our first time.... oh well - live and learn.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Shelly U.

One advantage to letting Princess book your flight is that if they come into port late and you miss your flight, they'll re-book you. Otherwise, you're on your own to rebook and pay the extra fees to change it or even buy completely new tickets. You do not have to have Princess book your flight in order to check your baggage at the airport. You can buy the Pre-Cruise transfer ticket and that gives you the priveledge of checking your baggage in with Princess right at the airport baggage claim, and then they bus you directly to the pier. Other than the 90 minute wait for our bus, this option was definately worth it !!!