Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:02 PM
niceiring2

Default Staying over night the day before cruise

To all reading, I have a question, We are going on the Oct 2, Carribbean Princess. I booked my flight for an arrival time of 1:30 pm on that day (Oct 2) My travel agent says I'll be ok, but I was wondering what you all thought. We are flying Southwestern, and I could change the flight at this point. Child care for one more night on our end is what I was trying to avoid.

Any comments or experiences would be very welcome.

Also, I heard thecruise terminal is pretty close to the airport? Does anyone know how close and have tips for getting there. I did not choose the princess transfer, I thought we would take a cab.

thanks in advance

Terri
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Staying over night the day before cruise

Hi Terri,
If at all possible, I'd try to get an earlier flight that day or better yet, come in the day before. Yes, use a cab, much quicker and easier.

Ship leaves at 5PM, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:37 PM
niceiring2

Yes, the ship leaves at 5pm. Have a I heard correctly, is the cruise terminal about 15 min from the airport?
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Staying over night the day before cruise

Terri,
Which airport? Ft. Lauderdale is very close, a 10 minute taxi ride. Miami is a bit farther to the port, half an hour depending on traffic.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:20 PM
niceiring2

It is Ft Lauderdale... so 10 minutes is very close.

Thanks for all of your advice

Terri
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Terri,

Usually people book the day before not because of the transportation time to the cruise terminal (and traffic), but just in case of any flight delays. If you are not booking through the cruise company and your flight is delayed, if you aren't on board the ship when it leaves, you'll miss the cruise. That's why people (and I would, since my flight was delayed) recommend booking a flight for the day before.

All the best,
-Ed
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Captain

We learned our lesson a few years ago when we flew into Miami for a cruise. We were supposed to arrive six hours before the ship sailed. Well, with the airline delay, we actually boarded AFTER the lifeboat drill had taken place, so we had about 30 minutes to spare. Way too close.

Since then we have always arrived a day early.

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

We always fly in the day before, just in case. It gives you a chance to relax a bit get into vacation mode before the cruise, its much less rush, rush rush doing it this way.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Ahracer

We always fly in the day before. It isn't worth the risk. If you are scheduled to arrive at 1:30 you'll probably make it pier side by 2:30. That only gives you a 2 hour cushion. A 2.5 hour flight delay could ruin your vacation.

Scott
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM
niceiring2

Thanks for all of your advice, I switched my flight to the day before, booked a hotel room through priceline at 50.00 for the night!!! It looks like a nice hotel, and has a shuttle that will pick us up at the airport and another shuttle that will take us to the port the following day! I had planned on taking a taxi, so this truly was a bonus! The hotel also has a complimentary breakfast with fresh waffles.

I'm very ready!

Thanks again.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

nicering2 - sounds like you booked the Amerisuites.....it is a good place to stay, but a word of advice from someone who has stayed there a few times precruise. Don't wait for the shuttle - it not only takes people to/from the port, but also to/from the airport to hotel. Do yourself a favor and grab a taxi....it is VERY cheap from the hotel to the port....and you will save yourself a LOT of hassle!!!!!!! It will cost less than $10 for the trip (inlcuding tip) for the 2 of you.

Post Edited (05-26-04 22:44)
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:53 AM
nicering

Thanks for your advice, we are booked for the La Quinta Fort Lauderdale airport. Looks very convienent, so I'll think about that cab option. Anything to get us to the shipfast works for me!!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Staying over night the day before cruise

Just curious - which hotel is it?
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
DICK STEIN

Dear Niceiring2: I always come in the day before and am on my next cruise too. Last time out of Ft Lauderdale I stayed at a Hampton in that had free transportation to airport and ship. Worked out real well. Good luck. If you miss ship your out of luck.

on the Sapphire Princess
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Where is the La Quinta located,Terri? Lynne
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM
lita Smith

As a retired travel age nt, I believe the best travel insurance going is getting your body and your luggage to port a day early. In 30 years, I had only a few clients who actually missed their ships, a very expensive proposition, but a great many who spent hours worrying. That is NOT the way to start a vacation
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:44 PM
nicering2

Lynne, La Quinta is in the aiport area, here's a link to there website.

http://www.lq.com/lq/reservations/pr...=985#amenities

We got it for 50.00, sounds like it's worth it to me
Hope the link works, it looks like you'll have to copy and paste...

thanks!
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Thanks. We may use it another time.We stay in a little motel calle the Nina Lee which is about a mile or two north of Port Everglades. It's across from the Yankee Clipper and is owned by Sheraton, which also owns the Yankee Clipper.We have all the ammenities of the YC so go over to walk the beach and sit in the lounge, and we can use the pool over there if we want.The YC is on SE 17th St,which will turn into A1A further up on the Ft. Lauderdale Strip.The Princess Terminal is right adjacent to the 17th St.Causeway Bridge. I'll look for the LaQuinta the next time we go into Ft. L, as we go by the Airport on the way in, from I-595. Lynne