Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Davidnnc

Default Just Booked

We just booked our first Princess cruise on the Caribbean Princess for November 20th!! We have sailed on Carnival and RCCI before but this is our first Princess cruise.
Is the personal choice dining the best way to go? How does it work? Any other advice from you seasoned Princess cruisers?

Thanks.
David
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Hot_Jock_FL

Default Re: Just Booked

I am going on the Caribbean Princess and I am wondering the same thing with this whole "Choice Dining". i sam going on it June 5th.
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM
First Mate

I have sailed 20 times with princess and we are booked on the CP for the 20th too! We love pc dining. You can go to dinner anytime you want, from 5:30 - 10pm. You can request to sit alone or with others if you'd like to meet folks. We prefer dining around
7 pm, table for 2, so I go down and put our names in and have a drink at the bar (you get a buzzer like at the chain resturants),. My hubby drops our son off at the Kid Zone (son is 7 and prefers the buffet a dozen times a day!) and meets me at the bar. Most of the time, we only have a 15-20 minute wait.
Any other questions, give me a e-mail!
Happy sailing,
Hope to see you on board, David!
Sea Angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Just Booked

I love pc we have never waited more then 10 minutes without a reservation and if we had a waiter we really liked we called and booked his table and had no wait.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM
ScotsLass

Hi there,

We too prefer Personal Choice dining. One night we said we were not fussy the amount of people at the table and we were seated with 6 others. We met a nice irish couple but the rest of them were a bit of a strain. After that we limited it to only one other couple.

Another night we sat with a mum and daughter and it was a bit like pulling hens teeth trying to get conversation from them. Maybe we just talk too much.

Another night we sat with an elderly American couple who were really great and we had a delightful meal. We had met up with an English couple who we hit it off with from the word go and tended to dine the four of us after that. Some nights we had to wait but only for about twenty minutes. We were given a buzzer and it was a fine excuse to retreat to the bar and have another aperitif.!!

It is a great way to meet other people and you still have the choice to dine alone should you desire. We are booked on the Coral in August and have opted for Personal Choice again. I do not like to have the times I eat dictated to me. Hope you have a great trip!!
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Lynne &Trevor

We have personal choice dining this trip,too.We'll be on the Caribbean Princess Sept.18. We ended up sitting with others sometimes,and by ourselves sometimes. It depends on the mood of the evening, the line. time we get to the Dining Room.We met what we thought was a nice couple once, dined with them, arranged to sit with them another night, and they got there early, and went in.We waited outside the Dining Room so by the time we got in, the big table they were at (and we were supposed to be at) was full.After that we tended to dine alone.We chose PC when we booked, but our profile preferences on the Princess site has us down for 1st Seating.We'll see how that works!! Lynne
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Davidnnc

Thanks for all the great information. SeaAngel, we are so looking forward to this cruise, I know you are too! Seems to far away though! haha.
I do have another question for you guys, how does the tipping work on a princess cruise. if you have the PC dining, so they still automatically change tips to you for the dining room staff?

Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Lynne &Trevor

I'm not sure about dining room tipping but know that there are automatic gratuities that go on the bill on your shipboard account-specifically at the bars and for the stewards,etc. My husband said that you will already be having @ $10 taken out each day automatically, If you tip, you will be tipping twice.He also said that room service may be an exception.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Lynne
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:17 PM
First Mate

As far as tipping goes.......ever since Princess started PC dining, they have been doing auto tipping to on-board accounts for everyone. Your bar tab has 15% added. We frequent certain bars and like to give a tip in the beginning for extra special service. If you order room service, tipping is not included. I always bring a bunch of one's for that reason.
Happy sailing,
Can't wait to GOOOOOOO!!!
SeaAngel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Passenger

We asked the person that brought our coffee if the gratuity was added and he said that it was. So, I am not sure.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:03 AM
nicering

Sea Angel, thanks for the advice on Personal choice dining. Question, On my CP profile we are marked as 1st seating, was that something I should have chosen from the beginning, or is everyone assigned a time even if they opt for PC?

Thanks
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

If it says 1st seating you are scheduled for traditional seating. If you want PC call your travel agent or Princess and have them change it to PC. It will then say open seating.