Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Krista

Default The Golden Nightmare

Hi All,

I have just returned from the vaccation from h*ll. My partner and I have sailed numerous times (6 to be exact) and have never had such a bad experience as on the Golden Princess that sailed out of San Juan P.R on May 23, 2004. Where do I begin, the first night our room steward gave us a diddicult time about the bed configuration! The second night we had a cake brough to us in the dining room (we were celebrating our honeymoon) and upon the waitstaff's realization of the fact that we were an unconventional married couple, they took our cake away from us! We complained and were treated really well by the girl at the pursers desk (Jodi), but she said that the Matr'd would contact us and nothing came out of our emarassment from the dining staff, just some chocolate strawberries from Jodi. The trip just got worse from there. The food was not very good and there were little to no activities to do onboard unles you wanted to pay for them. When we dinned in the horizon buffuet we could not get someone to get us soda, my partner had to get up each time and find a bar. There were quite a few other things we did not like about the boat, but I do have to say that the deputy cruise director Kelly was awesome and they had ONE good night show Adam Ace. The other comic Sarge was so rude, at one point saying to a large room of diverse people if richard simmons dies well good "one less fag in the world" Whatever your view may be that is just wrong! In St. Kitts my partner got hives after swimming in the ocean, Isla Margerita our beach tour guide sneezed and coughed all over us (went to the doctors yesterday, I have an ear infection and sinus infection) In Aruba we were mugged, my purse was stolen off my arm. The cruise staff was little to no help. In fact I was able to get through 3 security points without my princess card! St. Thomas was as always beautiful though! I write all of this to open maybe a few eyes. I can answer any questions, and I am so sorry if this has disappointed you, but better to know before you go, and better yet before you book!

Much love,
a very sad cruiser!
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Montig

Default Re: The Golden Nightmare

Hey there,

I know that you didn't have a good time on board and I don't think that anyone could blame you at all. We were wondering if ya'll had a better time in Puerto Rico. Glad you made it home safe.

Cheers,

Bill & Patrick
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:46 PM
CSY

sorry about the purse stolen in Aruba - we have been going to Aruba for almost 20 years and consider it to be one of the safest islands.......... I've heard very good things about Princess so hopefully yours was one of (unfortunately) rare times (going in a few weeks on the Star)
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: The Golden Nightmare

Your purse got stolen and you are blaming the cruise line? I don't get it...All the other stuff is also very minor to me. As to the bed configuration I am sorry but some people do still have some morals. You had to get up and get soda? Wow ..I am sorry but all this sounds a bit like you over reacted....Most people can't ever cruise........

Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incidents while crusing. Did you report your stolen purse to the authoritys in Aruba? its up to them to handle that. Did you fill out the comment cards at the end of your cruise? Princess takes those comments about the staff very seriously. We were on the Golden back in February and had a fabulous time, we found plenty of activites on board that didn't cost a thing.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Horseracer

File a lawsuit!

Anything less will not help you feel better. And don't expect a pity party here, you won't get one. Everything you described that was under the control of the ship was small stuff, not worth sweating. If that ruined your vacation, that's your fault. Sometimes the "in your face" approach can turn around and bite you in the a$$.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Something just doesn't seem right...another post here from someone else who was on the same cruise has great comments.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Krista

Aren't we all entitled to our OPINIONS? I am not looking for pity at all, nor are we soured on cruising , we are booking with disney for next January. I suppose my posts have not conveyed they right message, I wonder though if ya'all had the same exact experiences would you think my complaints were so trivial? Anyway, as for something not being right because another person had a wonderful cruise. I never said everyone hated it. Many, Many people had a blast, however we were not the only ones that had a bad experience. We ran into newlyweds in a hotel in San Juan and they had an aweful time. To each his own. Also did everyone miss the part of my original e-mail that said there were some awesome staff members, and a really great juggling comedian? We are not haters, we were just unhappy with what we paid so much for. As one last thing, please do not tell us that these were all minor things, and it was our fault we let it ruin our vaccation; as I said, if the shoe were on the other foot..........

K.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Admiral

I see three distinct sets of problems. 1) off ship experiences that have absolutely nothing to do with the ship or anything they can act on. 2) several minor onboard problems 3) problems that deal with the intolerance of others to your lifestyle choice and your unfortunate encounters with several folks who were apparently less than tolerant .
1)Getting mugged in Aruba, hives, from swimming and perhaps getting ill from exposure to a tour guide (or any one of several thousand others you encountered along the way) are very unfortunate indeed. They were however, outside the control of Princess and probably don't belong in a post marked "Golden Nightmare". Whatever ship you were on, those same things might have happened and Princess was not responsible.
2) I did not read anything in the post ,outside the lifestyle intolerance, that indicated a "nightmare" experience.
3) it is a shame that in the modern world your life style choice is not more readily accepted. The actions of the wait staff , if conciously done were unacceptable. I know from prior experience with Princess that your complaint to Jodi was in fact raised at the morning staff meeting and I'm sure that the Maitre D addressed it the staff. I am speaking from specific prior experience . I have in the past received the chocalate strawberries (ironically from JODI) and it is their way of apologizing and telling you your problem has been acknowledged and is being dealt with.
The steward was wrong and should have dealt with your bed issue as soon as practical. Period!! A complaint should have been logged with the head of the housekeeping staff. If mentioned to Jodi, you can be sure it was.
The comedian , well , he was simply an a--. I hope you logged a complaint with the cruise director or his staff. Listen, unfortunately cruise ships are where has been and never will be comedians end up . There is however no room in today's society for that remark.
Don't let your experience sour you on cruising or travelling.
Congratulations and I hope you and your partner have a wonderful life together.
I'm sorry to read about the problems you encountered.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Horseracer

Krista, say what you mean and mean what you say. My ESP isn't firing on all 8 cylinders today. Had you placed your complaints in proper context (did this happen to you, what did you do?) you might have started an informative discussion.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

PapaBill...well said!

Krista, I can certainly understand how the dining room incident could cause your attitude towards the cruise to unravel. It's hard to believe that professionals in the tourist industry would be so intolerant. It was your vacation and you have a right to react to the problems you faced anyway you choose. It's unfortunate that there are people on this board (and others) that feel that only their opinions count. It's also unfortunate that they seem to take pleasure by ganging up on some who has a different opinion.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Krista,

You said that comic Sarge was rude and he said "if Richard simmons dies well good "one less fag in the world"

I saw Sarge on the Golden in Jan what he says and all comedians say is just for fun. If im not mistaken he also had fat jokes. Im fat and I didn't get offended. I thought it was pretty damm funny. Life sucks when you can't laugh at your self. If you take everything so damm serious then your going to have a rotten life.

When I was on the Statendam, a barge hit us and made a hugh whole in the stern. We came in a day and half late. Things happen you just have to make the best of it.

My point is don't let these things get to you. I have been on 21 cruises and if I was bothered by everything that has happened to me on these ships I would kill my self.

Brian
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Admiral

To address one point very specifically, the service in Horizon court. The "waiters" in Horizon Court are there to clear tables, put down place settings , pour water, coffee and tea. They are little more than bus boys and service assistants. Soda is a bar service item and they are not bar service waiters. Different people.
I spent 10 days on my last Princess cruise and stood at the bar for my soda everywhere except for the main dining rooom at dinner. This was not poor service, just a misunderstanding on your part.
The lack of tolerance items are the worst of your story and in the 21st century are an unacceptable behavior for anyone, never mind a travel service person (waiters or stewards). I am sorry to say that lack of tolerance has even followed you to this board. Not only are you faced with the intolerant, unfortunately intolerants' twin brother ignorance can also post here as well. Sometimes they are one in the same.

Again, congratulations to you and your partner. Do not let this bad experience deter you from travel, happiness or success.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Anthony Gorys

Out of curiousity, and only because I will be going on my first princess cruise (gone only with celebrity before), what entertainment did you have to pay for Krista? just wondering?
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Krista
Sorry for all of your misfortune's on your cruise, May I ask if your Anniversary was while you were on the cruise, or was it before or after the actual cruise??
I do know the cruise line will not give you a cake unless you are actually celebrating the Anniversary, or birthday during the cruise?

Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Krista

PapaBill, I have much respect for you. Although you do not agree with many of my comments you are sincere and kind in your words. Thank you for your well wishes!

PG, I couldn't agree more with you, but I won't go away because some people don't like what I have to say.

I-1011, You are exactly what is wrong with the world. A bunch of gays, well than should we feel that way about the MANY drunk straight people that are on cruise boats, making asses hanging all over each other? PLease think before you write.

Lashchuk, I understand what you are saying, he made many derrogatory jokes that did not offend us, but using the word fag is going to far. It is like calling him the n*gger word. There are some things that are not ok, even with a comic license.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write and although may not agree with me has offered CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, rather that flat out harshness.

Anthony Gorys, you have to pay for ceramics craft painting, any instructional classes you may take ie: the learn how to use your camera, computer classes & such. wine tasting. I have our daily schedules at home, I will post again tomorrow with a day's worth of activities this way you can judge for yourself if they have much to offer.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: The Golden Nightmare

Krista,
I hope you don't take my post incorrectly but I am going to post anyway.

In a few places in the US, legal gay marriage is being tried - MA, CA. It is not without it's controversy however, I am sure you read the newspapers. A honeymoon cake in your situation may not necessarily be handled properly - I guess why try the in your face route at a point in time of all the controversy?
Princess is a gay friendly cruise line but why push it? What would you expect in a restaurant on land in the US? I guess I question why you are surprised by the reaction.

With that said - I wish you and your partner the best and many happy anniversaries to come!

I hope in the future the controversy goes away, but I hope you realize it will take time.

Good Luck!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Passenger

PG, Your post states that you don't visit the Princess board-bye! Live up to your post.

Krista, These are observations - poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation...say nothing of the use of paragraphs. First looks (or reads, in this situation) make a lasting impression.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise. I'm sure the bed configuration was a disappointment, but really, you embarass yourself by bringing it up!

You didn't like the food-legitimate gripe..........this is a personal issue. I hate coconut!

Having to get your own soda in the Horizon Court....I'm in a wheelchair so they usually brought me my drinks. Everyone else in my party got their own. I'll bet you were happy to get home so your personal servants could bring your sodas!??????????????

Yes, you are paying for a nice vacation and this one didn't meet YOUR expectations. Please ask yourself if you have realistic expectations. Your living and breathing, and able to cruise-please count your blessings! I lost two friends in a car accident this week-what I'd give to just say goodbye!

Frivolous complaints are just that..........ridiculous.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
p.g.

PG

I must say you sure sound like another poster on this board, mind you , they went by a different name..... but .... you sure sound like them.hmmm, I guess if they wanted ,the moderators could check isp # and see if someone was posting under serveral names.Most sites don't allow that, perhaps CruiseMates does.

Krista

As to the dining room event, it was poorly handled, and the staff did behave in an unprofessional manner.
I can understand that while " unconventional lifestyles" are accepted in most areas in the States and Canada, that in many other countries in the world it is still considered an abomination. Many staff come from such countries, STILL, it is there job to serve in a professional manner , and not let their personal feelings influence how they treat a client, in tht regard you have everyright to be upset.
As for your mugging, oh well that's travelling.

Hopefully your next cruise/holiday will be better.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM
ESS

I am very concerned about the post I have read here. No free activities on the Golden? Have they changed the program since I last sailed on the Grand Princess last December? My understanding that the Grand and the Golden had the same design and had the same type of entertainment.
My bill showed a zero balance when I left the cruise after seven days. My wife and I did the following during our seven days.

1. Ate wonderful meals both in the dinning rooms and in the Horizon Court
2. Attended wonderful Broadway style productions
3. Attended other variety shows
4. Attended lounges and discos with live and recorded entertainment where my wife even got me to dance
5. Excercised in the gym
6. Walked on the track almost every morning - with a great view of the ocean
7 Swam laps in the pool
8. Sat in the hot tub
9. Used the "swim against the current" pool
10. Played basketball
11. Uthe library to obtain books and games which we read and played
12. Enjoyed the warm weather on comfortable deck chairs
13. Played mini-golf which was really interesting when the ship was sailing in rough weather
14. Explored interesting ports and went snorkeling right next to the ship
15 .Attended an interesting lecture
16. Attended a hilarious married couple quiz show
17. Attended a comic show where the Black entertainer made some rather pointed jokes about Caucasians - and somehow it didn't ruin my cruise and I didn't pout
18. Played pingpong, shuffleboard and giant chess
19. Met and visited with interesting people from all over the United States
20. Ate great pizza
21. Had four 4PM tea
22. Watched first run movies on our personal TV in our cabin
23. Had our cabin kept spotlessly clean, had our beds turned down with a chocolate by the pillow every night.
24. Played daily trivia
25. Watched first run movies in the theater
26. Enjoyed the poolside entertainment during the day
27. Enjoyed the poolside party that the ship held at night

I assume that all these activities were available at no cost on the Golden.

We have traveled all over the world. While visiting some countries my wife and I wear very modest clothes as a result of the culture of the society we are in. In some Arab countries that we visited, my wife covered herself from head to toe even though it was quite warm. I don't expect those cultures and societies to change for my benefit.
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Admiral

There are free activities on all Princess ships, the things that krista is talking about are extra things.
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM
First Mate

Krista,

We love Princess and have sailed with them 20 times. Our best friends are lesbian's and travel with us all the time. We are a conventional married couple. We have never encounted the problems you did on Princess. Once, on Carnival, the photographer would'nt take their picture for "couples" photos. Well, all hell broke loose. We saw to it that they got their picture!!!
Please keep cruising! If you ever encounter problems of any kind, go to the purser and ask to speak to the the head of the department that you encountered a problem with.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Krista

My goodness, such bitter conversation over my OPINIONS! Honestly people lets let this go. I am happy that princess has satisfied all of you, unfortunatly that wasn't the experience I had.

We were not using the in your face method, although it would have been our right to do so! My partner had ordered flowers for the room and on the card thanked me for marrying her.

As a side not I was only using the n* word as an example, and you have helped me prove my point. There is no situation where words like that are appropriate.

Krista

** I did not realize that we had our very own grammer police on cruisemates.com!
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
NeShea

Default Re: Re: Re: The Golden Nightmare

Let's keep in mind that the message boards are for people to share their experiences, ask questions, etc. The message boards are not, however, meant to be used to judge people as immoral or moral. Don't pick the dust out of other people's eyes when you have big planks sticking out of your eyes, please. Happy cruising!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Krista, with the tone of your posts, I doubt that any cruise line would satisfy you.
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:48 PM
corian

Glad to hear that you will not be cruising with Princess anymore
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM
SharB

Krista,
I'm sorry you are getting so many nasty responses off your post. I don't understand it, the Princess board used to be the best board to post on. Please don't blame all the Cruisemates for the comments of a few.

Shar
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM
First Mate

I think this thread would have gone over much better if the listing of things that went wrong included only those events directly under the control of Princess. Let's cut people a little slack - there are so many one-post-wonders who never respond to questions, and those who just like to stir the pot that it makes it difficult to separate the real from the imaginary. The original post reads more like a complete venting of frustration, not a description of events and request for counsel on if and how to pursue a more formal complaint.

Those who pursue alternative lifestyles need to be aware that change does not take place overnight, even if laws come into effect that quickly. The law says those who might disagree are required to tolerate, but the law cannot legislate acceptance. That will only happen with time.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Calm down folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and it does not matter if you agree or not. In addition everyone probably needs to read the terms of service again to understand that they cannot make personal attacks, it isn't allowed and will be deleted, plus it is just plain childish. Princess has a reputation as being probably the most gay-friendly line of all of them and from what I have seen all of them are much more tolerant and welcoming than any other place you can find. Opinions are welcome, attacks are not.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old June 6th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Jim Bragg( and others)

Excuse me everyone, I have reread all the posts on this board and I haven't seen one that is rude and attacking yet.Has there been one deleted?
ONE,yes, ONE posters did say " some people still have some morals" well whoope do., that is her opinion and it is her right to have that opinion.

Everyones elses posts were quite civilized , so why have several posters jumped on the " poor Krista" bandwagon . No one has called her a name.

One thing I have a opinion on is that " tolerance" for differences is no longer enough, " acceptance" is also not enough, NOW, we must " APPROVE" of "alternate lifestyles" to be polictially correct. Sorry , not everyone will approve of the homosexual lifestyle.
I have told my kids, you can't MAKE people like you, but you do have the right to not be bullied. So how is this different.
'
I personally did state in my post tht Krista and her partner were fully entitled to be treated politley and professionally by the staff and that she had a right to be upset that they were not.
I also stated that blaming her mugging in Aruba on the crusieline was not reasonalble.
Most posters did in fact point out that some of her complaints were too general and had nothing to do with " a Golden nitemare"