Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Default San Juan Transportation

I am taking the Golden Princess over Thanksgiving this year, and haven't seen anywhere about transportation from the airport to the cruise port in San Juan.

Does anyone have any information on this??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: San Juan Transportation

Take a cab, if you have a Princess transfer you will be met in the baggage claim of the airport.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: San Juan Transportation

How far is it, and how much should I expect to pay??

I am traveling with a family of four, will we all fit in a cab with luggage?? (My wife is a heavy packer)

Thanks for the response
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Just got off the Golden Princess from San Juan. The Princess people will meet you at the airport, you wait for your luggage and then board the bus. The bus will then take you to the ship. There was no hassel doing it this way. Why take a cab when you have a transfer from the airport to the ship and then from the ship to the airport. It works for us. The bus leaving the port on your return home drives you to the airport. Once there the driver gets all the luggage off and the porters are there to help you. A few bucks for a tip and your on your way. A no hassel situation. have a great cruise. (Tell wifie not to pack sooo much, I did and I swear next time there will be less)
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:51 PM
BonnieN

Thanks for the info - I am taking the Golden out of San Juan on 8/22 - anyone else out there? We are party of six and would love to chat with anyone going on that cruise.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
First Mate

I didn't get the transfers. I suppose I still could, though I was told it's overpriced.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

Transfers from Princess are $30 per person round trip. We are a party of 4 sailing on the Golden on Sept 19. We origianlly had the transfers but when I paid for the cruise I had them taken off. I thought $120 was a little steep. When we sailed out of Miami last year we put four in a cab with all our luggage. I was tight but we made it. If there were just 2 of us I would probably opt to buy the transfers from Princess.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
ckvas

Dear Larry, we are going on the Golden August 01, and we always take a taxi . We were just there in January on Celebrity. The taxi's can hold up to 8 sometimes, minivans and small buses. In January we were only three but it still only cost about $22.00 incl.tip, last August we went with our whole family and had 2 vans with 6 in one and 5 in the other. Cost per van was about $35.00. You can't get ripped off because they have lines outside with dispatchers that give you a slip with cost based on # of passengers and # of pcs. of luggage ( pack accordingly ) . Hope this helps and have a great trip, CKVAS
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
First Mate

CKVAS;

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. $120 seems a little steep for a cab ride. The van for $35 sounds great.

One question; how long a ride is it from the airport to the ship??

Thanks for your help
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
ckvas

Larry, glad i could help. We go out of San Juan every year in January, it's the only way to go that time of year. Weather is perfect from the the first day til the last. There are 2 ports, but the Golden goes from the Pan American i think. It was approx. 20 minutes to half a hour depending on traffic. Have A Great Trip!!!!!!! Carol
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Larry,
Its actually very easy to get a cab at the San Juan airport. After you pick up your luggage there is a booth before you go outside, go there and get a taxi ticket, will have the entire price on that, just add a tip. They decide the fare by how many pieces of luggage you have, we paid around $20 for the both of us. Once you have the ticket, just go out the doors by there and get in the line for a taxi, should not be a long one, much easier and cheaper than the cruiseline transfers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Whiteknight

There's also an airport limo service desk right near the American Airlines area. They actually use vans and carry several people to different hotels on a given run. They usually cost much less than a cab, but I would check first just in case that's changed in the last year. I think the rates to the port by cab were $16 plus extra for number of bags and tip. I think the limo(van) was $8 or $10 plus extra for number of bags and tip, but I can't remember for sure.
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Whiteknight

Also, I forgot to mention that the information about the Golden Princess leaving from the Pan American pier was correct. I don't know how familiar you are with San Juan, but the Pan American dock is by the old Isla Grande Airport coming out De Castro Expressway(Hwy 26) before reaching Old San Juan.