Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Passenger

Default personal choice dining

in august i will be taking a cruise to alaska on the dawn princess. my boyfriend and i pick the personal choice dining. does anyone know anything about the dining situation? will our menu be the same as the traditional dining? i do know that we have a choice to go to the sterling steakhouse for an extra charge.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear
Default Re: personal choice dining

The menu for Personal Choice dinning is identical to the menu offered in the conventional dinning rooms. The only difference is that you chose when to dine.

Bernie
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Jeronimo

In Caribbean Princess the menu was the same for Personal and Traditional. We had Personal and we didn't wait to be sited never, but we ate at 830- 900, when theres is not much rush of people in the dinning rooms. The service and food was excellent, in the main dinning rooms.
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Personal choice dining is the way to go. You just show up at the dining room and see if there is room. If not you wait a little bit till a table opens up. The menu is the same for all dining rooms except the speciality restaurants.
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

Additional info on personal choice dinning. It will be different on Princess' newest ships the Diamond and Sapphire.
This quote is from another web site:

"A revolutionary new approach to the cruise line's Personal Choice Dining program, Sapphire Princess will feature five main dining rooms. Of these, four will be centered on cuisine themes in decor and menu. These include Vivaldi, for Italian fare, Sterling, a steakhouse, Santa Fe, which boasts southwestern dishes, and Pacific Moon, for Asian dining. The fifth dining room will be reserved for those who prefer the traditional set-seating arrangement (though some of the menu items from the themed restaurants will be offered). "

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Tom and Darlene

we booked late dinner on Diamond, do we also have the option to do personal dining or must you pre-pick only one?
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Passenger

We did not have to pay extra for going to the Sterling Steakhouse. It was very nice, but my favorite was the Vivaldi. Great food and service!
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Admiral

If you choose Traditional dining (either early or late), you can go to Personal Choice any evening you want BUT it doesn't work in reverse - i.e. - if you choose Personal Choice, you CAN'T go to the Traditional dining.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Admiral

if you choose Traditional and decide that you want to try Personal Choice for one night - please inform the Maitre D so that he may inform your waitstaff that you will not be attending dinner.
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Passenger

If we choose Personal Choice will have ding room entertainment, you know singing & dancing staff, or is that not a Princess thing?
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

tsj - on Princess only one night (the one with the Baked Alaska Parade - usually the last night of the cruise) is the one where those in Traditional dining get the parade.....those is Personal Choice do not, because passengers chosing to dine that way are at very different points in their meals and would cause too much disruption in wait service to them.

The Sterling Steak House is not extra charge only on the newest Princess ships. On the Sun and Grand class, there is the extra charge for Sterling.

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Yeoman

We were entertained the last night in PC Dining by a solo song from a waiter, but there was no parade. See my comments on PC Dining vs, traditonal above.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: personal choice dining

On the new ships, where would you eat if you want the same menu that the traditional dining room has? Is the fifth one you mentioned part of PC or is it the traditional dining room only?

Carnival Inspiration
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM
JImeeee4

Default Re: Re: Re: personal choice dining

Please note: not all ships have personal choice dining Some only have one dining room. We have done both. On one particular ship (first nite PC ws offered on that ship) they told us we would have to wait....my wife had already taken her insulin shot and her sugar was falling fast. I adivsed of this and they put us at a table which was already eating. BTW, if they don't have it, I recommend first seating then show.
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

bump

Carnival Inspiration
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM
JON TOWNSEND

I am not much for formal attire. How will affect what and where you can eat on those formal nights if you don't want to dress up? Is the food available to you lesser that the formal captain thing? My son and I are slated on the AUG 30 cruise fron vancouver to whittier. Any advice from the more experienced cruiser? Share any thoughts with me. Jon and Larkin
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:19 PM
jerry berkowitz

Default Re: Re: personal choice dining

hi jon townsend
at the risk of being feathered and
tarred I will repeat my previous
reply. I too do not enjoy dressing up .
I have been on several cruises and
have never been turned away . I
resolved this matter by wearing
shirt , tie , slacks and jacket .the
formal night is suggested attire .
jerry
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Princess does not do the singing and dancing waiter thing that some other cruise lines do. The do have the Baked Alaska Parade in the Traditional dining room on the lase formal night, its not singing or dancing, they turn out the lights in the dining room, some music starts and the waiters walk down the main aisle carrying trays of this flamming dessert.
If you want the same menu in the PC dining room as they are serving in the Traditional dining room then do not go to any of the specialty dining rooms, stick with the main PC dining room.

The dress code applies to all the dining rooms on the ship. The only place where you can go casual on formal nights is to the buffet, bistro or to order from room service.
Dress slacks, nice shirt, tie & jacket are all that is required for the men and boys.