Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Beginner

Default New to princess > Question

we are thinking of booking on the caribbean princess western for august 2005..
Family of 5

A few questions:

can you refuse to pay the $10 dollars a day per person for tip when you set up your ship account? we will be paying our ship act with cash, and were told we had to deposit the $70 per person up front.... we do plan on tiping howere we just prefer to tip at our discretion..

What kind of movies do they play at the movies under the stars? are they G or PG rated for kids?

On formal nights are there many children attending?

Tell me about the entertainment in the evening are the theater style "shows" G rated?

Where can I find Menu's and the princess patter to look at so I have an Idea of what it is like?

last but not least

Tell me about the cabins that sleep 4.
Where are the extra beds located? and how small are the cabins?

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: New to princess > Question

Pixie-mom,
We are just back from the CB and we had a room for 4. It is small and cozy. The 2 bunk beds fold down from the wall. Our kids had such a good time that they didn't complain at all about the sleeping arrangement. You do have to pick up after the kids.(just like at home!)

I'm not sure about tipping but I'll say this. The service is more than adaquate for what you pay. I wanted to tip more but we were pretty spent out after taking 4 kids on such a nice trip.

Movies-We saw As Good As It Gets and somthing else with George Clooney. I think they were PG-13. On Wednesday night they had a Wizard of Oz singalong style complete with Dorthy. My daughter went to this with the kid program. She had a blast.

Formal Night-All of my kids went to formal night. Of course my 18 year old girls loved wearing their dresses again. My 14year son styled out in his suit and my 9 year old dressed up and had a make over by her twin sisters. She was a knock out after they finished with her. I saw lots of kids but I think that the kid zone had activities planned if they kids wanted to bail out. My kids loved it and my 9 year old would not have missed it for the world. To be honest, I think it is a good experience for kids to eat like that with manners etc...

Theater shows-All G rated. The comedians were sometime not as nice. Be careful with those. The piano bar was fun and great for families.

Menus- Can't help you with this but the food was awesome. They also have a menu that you can order each night that has your basic steak, chicken etc. You should always be able to find something that you like. They also have a kid menu. My daughter ate from both. I din't save my patters but you will not be disappointed with the activities. Something to do all the time. No way you can do everything.

Do not listen to the negative coments. Sounds like you have a great attitude on life and you will love every minute of your cruise. We had the vacation of a lifetime. I would highly recomment taking walkie-talkies. This helped keep up with everyone well. I'mhappy to help with any other questions.

Maggie
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM
birthday girl

here are my suggestions/answers ...

Do another post titled "Caribbean Princess Patters?" and then ask if anyone taking the cruise before you would be willing to keep theirs and mail them to you or make copies and mail them to you. For this to work, you should offer pay postage. It worked for me.

As far as tipping in concerned ... yes you can have the $10 removed from your account. I don't think this can be done at check in, but you can certainly do it at the Purser's Desk once on board. If you prefer to give the people cash you can do that instead (at your own descretion).

About the movies under the stars ... the Princess web site says they show G, PG, and PG-13 movies. You just need to watch the Patters to see what is playing when. They have full details on their site at www.princess.com

Formal nights ... As a child my parents always took my brothers, sisters, and me to the formal dinning. Like the previous person said, it's great experience for a child to learn how to behave in that kind of setting without anyone being too critical. Most people will be dressed up, but it will still be an easy-going atmosphere. They don't have to dress up too much if they don't want to. Church clothes will suffice.

I know your entire family will have a ball. Just remember it's your vacation and as long as you are respectful of the other people onboard, it will be a very memorable one.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

the cabins for 4 are definately "cozy" we choose to move up to a mini-suite and we are so glad that we did, with the extra room in the stateroom we weren't tripping all over eachother and our stuff. The bigger bathroom is a huge plus.
You can choose to have the automatic tipping removed from your account, just go to the Purser's desk as soon as you can and have it removed.
The shows in the main lounges are definately "G" rated we loved the show "Words and Music" when we sailed - all Broadway show tunes. You have to be careful with the comedians- its "adult" comdey and can be "off-color" shall we say.
As for formal nights i would say that at least 80% of the kids attended formal night dinner with their parents, it really is fun and its a great opportunity to get some beautiful formal pictures taken.