Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Default Diamond Princess: Dock or Tender in Alaska

Hello

For anyone who has been to Alaska on the Diamond Princess. Which ports do you dock, and which ports are tenders required?

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:32 PM
juan

Default Re: Diamond Princess: Dock or Tender in Alaska

I was on the diamond on the may 15 cruise, and you dock in juneau, skagway, ketchikan and victoria, ans a day cruise on tracy arm.
it was great
have fun..
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Passenger

I have asked this question several times, and can't get a straight answer. I asked, "Which ports in Alaska are there actual docks, and which require tenders." I know where the stops are, I know in which order, I know how long, I know all of that. I simply want to know if we have to take tenders or if we can just walk off.
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Roy W.

Default Re: Re: Diamond Princess: Dock or Tender in Alaska

Just walk off, no tenders. This is what she tried to tell you.

Roy
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Beginner

I was on Diamond leaving Seattle on 8 May, and we docked in all ports. However, we were followed by the Oosterdam and an RCL ship all the way, and the RCL ship used tenders in Juneau.

I assume that the only reason that they may not dock would be if the ship was running late and lost the dock to another ship. But I am not sure on the policy in relation to this.
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:13 AM
SarahJ

You will dock everywhere.
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM
gaschatt

Default Re: Re: Diamond Princess: Dock or Tender in Alaska

It's my understanding that the Cruise lines reserve (and pay a premium) for docking as opposed to tendering. So even if your ship was beat in by another I believe they would have their dock slot.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:04 PM
SharB

Steve,
If you go to Sitka you will have to tender in - they don't have ports for large ships.
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:34 PM
no name

Hey steve B
You are rude and slow .There are all docks
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Passenger

First of all, I'm neither rude nor slow...I'm frustrated. I've asked this question several times in the past few months, and NO ONE had been able to answer it. I ask the question, and people respond with "I don't know..." or "You go to these places..." or "A tender is what is required when....".

I know all these things, and to be honest, the response I got on this posting was ambiguous. The fact that it said: "ans [sic] a day cruise on tracy arm..." implied that the question I asked was WHERE the ship went, and not whether it docked or tendered.

Perhaps the response was answering my question sufficiently, but to extra information quoted above left room for ambiguity. And out of frustration, from what I said above, I replied as I did.

I appreciate all the responses that I did get.
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:27 AM
seaer

Steve, I agree with you, yes or no.. not "one time at bandcamp".....
Old June 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Passenger

As I said, I appreciate the help, but nevertheless, the "help" I was getting wasn't helping much. And something I've found on these discussion boards is that people tend to stray from the subject at hand. People so much want to tell of their experiences (which is fine, but in a topic or review) that the original question gets lost in an abyss of stories and opinions. Additionally, since others want to share so badly, they sometimes don't fully understand what the topic is, and that is counterproductive to someone who is here to get information, not share stories.

I posted a question a few weeks ago about the view and whether or not land is visible at all times in Alaska. The first response was a viscious rant about the terrible time that was had on the trip he/she just returned from. At no point was my question even addressed. And from that point, it went downhill from there. My original question was completely gone. I asked nothing about the quality, or what their trip was like, or anything about service, food, etc, but I got all that and more...except the answer to my original question.

There are reasons there are discussion boards with different threads. It is to orgainize various discussions that are going on. If it were just a board with post after post after post with no threads, there would be nor organzation and no information would get passed.

So with that, I guess I won't argue that I can be rude at times, but in this situation, I think frustration is being perceived as rudeness.

I absolutely disagree, however, with my being "slow" and and "ass". I'm curious as to why the person who called me both of those has an author of "no name". It is amazing to me how people take discussion boards so seriously.
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:12 PM
SharB

Steve,
We've been getting several posts from people who are trying to find a reason to be nasty to the poster. I believe people are trying to help. I guess they just don't understand what you are asking. Timing is everything in the ports. If Princess has more than one ship in port, they usually can't dock both. Again, first come first served.

I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise in three years, so I'm not sure if things have changed. Princess has built their own dock in Juneau, and I believe in Skagway. You can actually go to the port web sites and see the schedule of what ship is supposed to dock in what berth.

Basically,
Skagway - You dock
Juneau - You dock
Ketchikan - You dock
Sitka - Tender
Victoria - You dock
Vancouver - You dock
College Fjord - Viewing, no port
Glacier Bay - Viewing, no port
Tracy Arm - Viewing, no port

Hope this helps. :o}
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Author: juan (customer-148-223-68-20.uninet-ide.com.mx)
Date: 06-08-04 17:32

I was on the diamond on the may 15 cruise, and you dock in juneau, skagway, ketchikan and victoria

The very first response in this thread (as quoted above) answered the question quite clearly, I thought.

Steve,

Perhaps your frustration from other questions asked may have influenced you, when your read the first response, and made you come off looking rude.

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Passenger

I fully admit that my first response may have come off rude, but as I said, it was frustration. The question has since been answered, and as I said before several times, I appreciate the responses. But also, as I said, I don't think the first response really was very clear. I said when previously that it sounded as if the question being answered wasn't the question that was being asked. It may very well have been, and if so then thank you, but to me, it sounded as if you were answering "Where do we stop?" instead of "How do we get off the ship when we do stop?" I didn't know which it was, and after several attempts before to get a clear, non-ambiguous answer, I wrote what I did.

Thank You
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:41 PM
TOM AND DARLENE

Rick when ya going, we are Aug 28!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Passenger

I guess I don't understand the purpose of the last post. Is it simply to have the last word? There have been several posts by someone without a name (perhaps its more than one person) basically saying the same thing. Perhaps you could explain a little more in depth what you mean by just saying "Ass". I had thought discussion boards were meant for communication. I still believe that it was I was doing.
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Fair enough. I guess it should probably end here then.
Old June 12th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Sure.
Sorry.
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Kukana

Default : Re: Diamond Princess: Dock or Tender in Alaska

Tom and Darlene -

We are going on the August 28th cruise to Alaska on the Diamond Princess! We're in our 50s and LOVE to travel!

Hope we get to meet you!

Susan and Wayne
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
c king

Just returned yesterday from Diamond Princess Alaska. We docked in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We cruised part way into Tracy's Arm and then were told we could go no further because of floating ice. We only had a glimpse of the glacier from a distance. The entrance to Tracy's Arm is very narrow and winding. That's as far as we went.
We arrived at Victoria at 7:00 p.m. Fri evening. As we approached the port, the anchor was dropped and an announcement was made that we would not be going in because of high winds. We feel that we were lied to about the reason for not going in. It was a beautiful sunny evening with perfectly calm seas. The Holland America Oosterdam sailed right in and docked. We sat there for the four hours that we were supposed to be in port with many little sail boats sailing around us with no problem with wind.
When we inquired about the reason we were told that we would need to contact Princess when we got home. We were told that they were refunding our shore excusions and port charges. Guess what, the refund for port charge was $4.68!
The diamond crashed into the harbor in May and had some pretty major damage. If she is too big or the captain is not experienced enough to get into Victoria or if Victoria won't let the ship in then we need to be compensated because Victoria was by far the port that most people wanted to see.
Some people we met in the airport who were on Holland America said we were the talk of the town in Victoria. Also they sailed right into the glaciers.
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM
SarahJ

If you read your passenger contract, the ship can skip all ports and you will only be refunded port charges.
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
TOM AND DARLENE

Yes all contracts have an ecape clause, however, we are staring to get nervous about our Alaska cruise on Diamond!!