Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:14 AM
ihb

Default formal nite attire for men

Does my husband really need a tie? TA told us a sport jacket and button down shirt would suffice. Sailing on Caribbean Princess in August . Also, my 11 yr old son will be dining with us. TA also said cargo shorts and a polo would do for him. Will we be ostrasiced for this attire on the 2 formal nites? We all hate dressing up, especially to eat a meal.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: formal nite attire for men

your TA has given you some really bad and wrong information if you plan on dining in any of the main dining rooms or alternative restaurants on formal night.
Yes, your husband needs to wear a tie. Sports jacket dress pants, dress shirt & tie & dress shoes are just fine. Another dressy alternative to a dress shirt & tie are dress shirts with banded collars- no tie required- very chic
Princess policy states no shorts in the dining room for dinner. You need a nice pair of pants,(Docker's type pants are fine for boys) a nice shirt & tie,and dress shoes for your son. Jacket is optional. Check out discount stores (Kmart, Target- for good pants cheap) consignment stores, Goodwill & EBay for awesome deals on jackets and or suits.
Polo shirt & cargo pants are fine for casual nights in the dining rooms.
The general rule of dress for formal nights is something that you would wear to an evening wedding at the local country club or the good hotel downtown.
Formal nights are more than just a meal, the whole "vibe" of the ship seems to get into it. Its not stuffy or snooty or fussy, just really nice and special., a true treat. Its also a great opportunity to get a formal family portrait taken.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Passenger

I've got to agree with LisaK. It's the atmosphere on board and it's the policy of the Crusie Line. Don't look at it as a rule, look at it like the really special experience that it is. LisaK, I like the banded collar idea - Duh on my part... (My Geranimal collection didn't have one). Anyway, Go forth and enjoy the cruise for the special experience it will be.
Robert
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We bought my husband a tux on ebay really cheap a few years ago. Now, we're bringing our 11-year-old Godson on the Caribbean Princess in September. He wants to wear a tux too. I found several complete tuxes for him on Ebay for $29.99. That's almost cheaper than a whole dress outfit. So...we're going to buy him one and surprise his Mother with a nice picture of him on the ship all "dressed up". He's so excited about it!!!