Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:47 AM
AndyW

Default BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita

Heading out on the 7/4 Golden Princess Southern - Caribbean Explorer Cruise with the family, and we are looking to find some good beaches...aka: non-excursion fare. We would like to know some recommendations for beaches we could reach via taxi in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, and Isla Margarita. Please let me know how long it took you to get to these beaches, cab fare, how long it took you to get there, and what they have to offer. I know that is an incredibly detailed list, but I know you guys will be able to help! Thanks again, board!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita

Andy I can only tell you my experiences on beaches. We opted for tours to Megans Bay in St. Thomas (its beautiful and well worth going) Grenada we did the Rhum runner tour and they took us to a private beach which was beautiful and very nice. Isla Margarita has a beach right by the port go for it!!!! It is absolutely beautiful go early so you can rent a chair ($4.00) its very hot there so thats the way to go. Read so many negative things on the board about this island but don't believe them, the port is nice and the vendors don't bother you, their huts offer eveything but they don't badger you to buy. The end of the huts has a bar with spanish music that you can actually hear on the beach. They offer jet skis there too on the beach. We really liked this island. The town is too far away 45 min. so we are glad we hit the beach We haven't been to these islands (except St. Thomas) before thats why we did the tour bit.

At Megans Bay they have a snack shack which offers food and drink, not bad prices.
The Grenada beach didn't have this I suppose because the Rhum Runner had it, it was a good experience, your family would like it. We're older in our early 60's but fun people and loved watching people do the limbo!! At Isla Margarita the bar also serves food. So I hope I helped at least a little. St. Kitts we took a walk into town, my brother in law and wife went snorkling and said it was the best so far that they went to. St. Kitts is a very nice and clean town. Not far from the ship.

We sailed this cruise 5/23, you will love the Golden. Its an awesome ship and the crew couldn't be nicer!!
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Marga

So agree with CarolP's post. If you enjoy the beach/water, you will have a great time on Isla de Margarita! Even without a shore excursion, the beach is right there. Best of all, the locals ARE VERY NICE AND APPRECIATE CRUISERS BEING THERE! Don't believe the negative posts! It's a wonderful place!!!!
Old June 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Pea

Default Re: BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita

All I can say it don't do the ship's excursion called "A Day at the Dunes" on Isla Margarita. We had intended on spending quiet time on the beach. Now, I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and I understand the vendors. Most of the time they are under control and rather polite.

At this resort, the second you step off the wooden walk way and onto the beach, you are accosted...not approached. About 20 of the vendors stand in a line/queue and wait for someone to strike out, then the next one moves in. After they strike out, they just get at the end of the line and try again. We were not left alone for more than 20 seconds in the few minutes we were on the beach. We tried to arrange our beach chairs...they would even leave us alone then. I explained perhaps after a while (since we wouldn't have time to shop for souvenirs when we got back to port). No luck. After about 10 minutes, I'd had enough and we headed to the resorts pools, where the vendors were allowed.

I realize this was not the resort's problem. The beaches are public, so there is nothing the resorts can do. I saw posts from others that went to beaches not associated with any hotels and they didn't have this problem.

Pea