Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Diamond Alaskan cruise question

We have booked an inside passage Alaskan cruise on the Diamond for Aug. 28. I would really like to know if she is doing better since her May cruise accident/incident? The reviews on here are not good and I'm beginning to wonder if we should cancel. I would appreciate any input. This will be our very first cruise and we were very excited about going up until now.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Diamond Alaskan cruise question

Just back, the ship is beautiful and running fine...it will dry-dock in December for repairs.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Passenger

We are also on Diamond 28 Aug and it is also our first cruise. I've been reading everything I can find and we are also getting worried.

Has anyone else been on recently - any problems?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
jcowley

We were on the Diamond to Alaska 6/12-6/19. First the positives:

1. We got to visit all of the ports and cruise Tracy Arm. It was absolutely spectacular.
2. It is a beautiful ship, the nicest we've been on (2 other cruises with RCI)
3. The crew was very friendly and helpful

but now the negatives:

1. If you've read anything about the sewage smell onboard, it's absolutely dead on. On Thursday of our cruise, we were in our stateroom (Baja, Deck 11) and it began to smell like a campsite outhouse. Finally, the smell got so bad, we decided to go up on deck to get away from it. We went up to deck 14, outside, and it stunk out there, too. Thursday night into Friday morning our stateroom smelled so bad I was literally sick to my stomach. Upon coming back to the ship in port in Victoria, we smelled the same smell walking up to the ship. I have never experienced this before on my other cruises. It was absolutely repulsive!

2. The food was not good at all. I cannot recall a single item I ate that impressed me. We ate lunch with 3 other couples in the International Dining Room after our stop in Ketchikan and they all felt the same way. We even paid the $20 extra pp to eat at Sabatini's and I was still unimpressed.

3. Out of all of the shows, only two of them were any good -the comedian was awful, the Broadway revue was excellent

Overall, I enjoyed the cruise, but would not sail with Princess again- especially NEVER on this ship again. They tend to be more expensive than RCI and I really didn't feel like we got much of an upgrade PLUS, who wants to sail on a ship that smells like an outhouse?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Diamond Alaskan cruise question

Sheesh, I can not believe we were on the same cruise. I was also on the 6/12 sailing of the Diamond and of our six cruises it was the very best one we've had. We never noticed any sewer smell. The food was outstanding in our opinion. The service could not have been better. We enjoyed the entertainment alot especially Bert Stratton. We had great weather and loved all the ports, especially sailing up Tracy Arm. I just can't believe you were on the same cruise we were. We came back raving over how great the Diamond Princess was. Amazing, simply amazing - I just don't understand how two people can be on the very same cruise and have such completely different impressions.
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Beginner

We went on the june 12th diamond cruise and everthing was wonderful. The 2nd day is the worst for me though as they sail all the way up to Juneau in open water and it was a little rough. Motion sickness here. All the other days were fantastic with the ship and weather.