Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Default Best time to cruise Hawaii

To all you who have cruised Hawaii when is the best time to cruise?? No one can guarantee the weather but coming from the Eastern part of the US we worry about the weather traveling in the winter months. Would like to hear when you have gone to Hawaii. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Pea

Default Re: Best time to cruise Hawaii

I've gone to Hawaii twice in the early spring because that's when the humpback whales are there. If I were to cruise, I would also go around that time. January - March are the best times for whales. They are still around in April, but start to become sparse.

Weather has always been great for us in March!

Pea
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Thanks Pea for your response, we are thinking Hawaii. It is my dream vacation.

Old June 26th, 2004, 03:01 AM
venice

anytime to Hawaii is perfect. I grew up in upstate New York (Poughkeepsie) so I understand your comment about the weather. . got married in Maui in June and cruised in Hawaii in Feb. and the weather was great every time

i don't think there is ever a "bad" time to cruise or go to Hawaii !!!!
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
First Mate

Lucky you to get married in Maui, our daughter was there and loved it. This is in our plan eventually. We are first doing a 10 day Eastern in April 05 on the Sun Princess, but after that Hawaii for sure. I think hubby wants to see what 10 days with me is like before doing the 15. You would think after 40 years together he would know :-)

Old June 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM
First Mate

We are taking the Island Princess, round trip from LA to Hawaii for the Christmas/New Years cruise. We are hoping for good weather but I have to tell you that this past December/January, those same dates ran into horrible weather in Hawaii. It was so bad that they never put into Nawiliwili harbor on Kauai and that's not a tender port. I think they also had a problem at the two tender ports for Maui and the Big Island. It is disappointing for this to happen on such a holiday cruise as one pays twice the normal rate for this normally sold out cruise.

We did not let this affect our plans for this year's cruise. No one can control the weather and we usually go for 3 weeks in the Feb/March time frame and we've been lucky with the weather. We're just hoping we are once again. If not, we will still have an enjoyable time on board for 15 days.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

If you are not traveling with kids, anytime but the summer months and children's vacation breaks. There are more kids then people at these times-nothing against the little buggers =)

Also it can be quite windy during Dec-Feb, but that's also whale watching season. Regarding strictly weather alone, anytime is fine.
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
paljoeysmom

We sailed in September. I used to work with a man who grew up in Hawaii and he suggested going at that time since it was drier. We had PERFECT weather. Try mid to late September
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Best time to cruise Hawaii

Princess limits the number of children to either 200 or 250 so they will never outnumber the adults. Princess does this because that is all that their facility can handle. This way they can keep them occupied, which they do a good job of, instead of letting them run around, bored and getting into trouble.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Pea

Princess doesn't always limit so low. During school vacations and during the summer, numbers can swell to upwards of 800 on the Grand class ships.

Pea
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info, did a cruise and it happened to be spring break, didn't realize it when we booked, kids just being kids loved to run the halls, play with the elevator buttons, and stack deck chairs!!!! So we learned the hard way. Love kids and remember being one, but times sure have changed!!!!