Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How to avoid formal dressing

Family is planning an Alaskan trip this September.........my husband will not dress up. How can we avoid the formal dinners? What to do? How do we handle this and still eat?

Thanks for any replies.

b..............
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: How to avoid formal dressing

you eat at the buffet resturants on formal nights or in your cabin
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yep, you go to the Horizon court for dinner, order room service for dinner, or leave the old stick-in-the-mud alone in the cabin and dress yourself up for dinner and go without him.

Or you can do what I did and wear a kilt

That is me with my Mom on the Grand in March 2004

Post Edited (06-27-04 20:16)
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
EMW

I love it, bluefish! Personally, I do not understand people who won't dress up for formal night. It's part of what I love about cruising, and part of that old mystique about cruising. I know, I know, it's your vacation and you want to be comfortable and do as you want to do. I understand that. But then I'd suggest not cruising as formal night is part of cruising, or you can find other cruise lines that no longer have formal nights, and they do exist. I know that's not practical advice, but I guess you'll have to do as others above have said, spend your time in the Horizon Court with the other underdressed people.
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Passenger

What I don't understand is why people constantly browbeat other posters that ask a simple question about dining, and get so darn rude about it. Is it just the thrill of insulting people? Very sad.

Anyways, for an honest answer I did an Alaskan Princess cruise and you'll be surprised by how many people showed up in less than formal attire. Will your husband agree to wear a jacket with a sweater underneath? There were quite a few people dressed this way on our cruise. Otherwise, you could dine in the Horizon court or order the dining room menu in your room for food service (be sure to tip). Anyways, as I said there will be quite a few wearing jeans in the dining room, it is a lot more casual than the naysayers that dominate the boards would like you to believe. Have a great trip, you'll be fine.
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Alaska cruises tend to be less formal than others. No problems with maybe a sport coat and shirt with slacks for formal night.................our group has decided no tuxes or formal gowns for our upcoming Alaska cruise..................slacks and sequined tops for the ladies and suits for the men....maybe even no ties! (gasp!) With many people doing land tours prior to their cruises, it is almost impossible to pack for formal nights on the cruise. Weight and luggage restrictions make it near impossible.

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why all the snide remarks? I thought this was a free country....well, so far.

I much prefer a smaller cruise ship, but none available at the price and time I wish.

On the smaller ships, normally we don't have to pretend we're something we're not. I remember a friend who bought a tuxedo just for a cruise. Really stupid as tux is not part of his lifestyle. Just pretending for a night or two. And for those who want to play make believe, go for it. But for those who don't................

Anyway, thanks for all the positive responses from those who truly addressed my question.

B..............
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Passenger

If you don't want to dress up for formal nite, it's the perfect time to book a dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Your casual choices on formal nights are the buffet, cafes, pizzeria or room service. All of the dining rooms and restaurants are formal.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't like dressing for formal nights either, so I usually just wear a pair of black slacks and a silk blouse with some pretty jewelry. Sometimes reading these boards gives the impression that everyone will be wearing a tux or ball gown, but in reality onboard ship you will see a wide range from church or business attire to full-blown formal wear. As long as you can get your husband to wear something nice, such as dress slacks and a dress shirt, I think you're be fine.