Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:42 PM
judy foreman

Default how strict are they...

...about the rule that your passport must be valid for six months
after the end of your cruise?

Our Canadian passports expire JUST SHY of six months from the end of our Alaskan cruise, from Seattle. We are scrambling to get new passport in time for our sail date.

But in case we can't - what will happen?

I couldn't get a really good answer from Princess on this. One agent blamed
the Customs folks - saying they are super picky on this issue.

Has anyone been denied embarkation because their passports expire in
less than six months?

Any insight would be most appreciated

Thank you
Judy
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: how strict are they...

You don't NEED your passport if you are Canadian, so just take your bith cert. and a picture id and you will be fine.
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM
barbiegirl

I'm Canadian as well - Toronto. They are VERY strict. One of our cruises in the Carribbean ( Apr 2003). There was a Canadian couple the husband's passport expired well on the trip - the wouldn't let him off the boat at any of the islands & it was real issue when we bumped into them the last day. They were suppose to be catching a flight from Ft.Lauderdale to Vancouver that day & apparently they called called the airline & told them they was no way they would get on the flight & through US customs with an expired passport . Never did find out what happened. But we do a lot of travelling & a expired passport is a HUGE deal. If it has expired prior to you leaving on your trip- they will not even let you get on the boat.
Hope this helps - good luck
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Admiral

I would call the immigration/customs department to get the correct answer.
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Passenger

We travelled by bus to Ft Lauderdale from Toronto.

One family was in the exact same predicament. and US customs almost didn't let them through the border. The bus was held up for almost 2 hours, they didn't care if there were 50 or so passengers waiting.

Reluctantly they allowed them through and I don't think they had any further problems during the cruise, or re-entering Canada.
But yeah, US customs made a big deal out of it.
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:21 AM
Passenger

Why would this be such a problem since Canadains do not need a passport to enter the US? I know a lot of people go with just a birth certificate and a valid goverment I.D. (drivers license,ect.). But I would verify this with the proper authorities just to be sure as things are constantly changing. I use a passport as it is much easier, but with the price and only being good for 5 years I can see not wanting to get a new one if I don't have to.
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM
Horseracer

The requirement for having more than six months on your passport is dictated by the places the ship will visit, not the cruise line itself. I do not believe that the US or Canada has such a policy for each others' citizens. A passport that expires during a cruise is another problem altogether if it is the only means of identification being used. You should be safe using your current passport to visit Alaska, but it would not be allowed in a place like Tahiti, that does have the six months requirement.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

BArbie girl, you were going on a CARIBBEAN cruise, they are going on a Alaskan cruise, difference is that they are only entering the US which Canadians do NOT require a passport for at all. It is easier with a passport, but not necssary if they have the other docs. needed.
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
judy foreman

Thanks for all the helpful remarks.

I'm still making calls on this, and getting all kinds of conflicting information,
even from offiicals within the same department!

Meanwhile, to play it safe, am trying to get new passports on time -
am counting on three government agencies for speedy service:
Canada Post, Citizenship, and Passport Office.

The frustrating thing is - our passports are about a week short of the six month
requirement! And I can envisage a "by-the-book-to-the-second" Customs
person turning us away at the dock...even if our passports are good for another 5 months and 3 weeks!

And yes, a passport's getting expensive: $85 plus $20 photo. Each! Plus a new
citizenship card (because the other one was becoming unglued) which is
$75 plus $20, Xpresspost...$22...blah blah, hey - that's a couple of
dinners at Sabatini's! (If we get on the ship!)

OK, thanks again for sharing.
Judy.
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:40 AM
barbiegirl

PJ
YES I was on Caribbean But we did Alaska last year & yes a passport was needed.
Not to sure where you live but regardless Canadian going into US should have a passport. I don't understandf what the big deal is - just get one, it saves such hassles when it come to the US & customs. You know those Yankee's they can be arrogant & picky people.
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Irishjayne

I am an American citizen with a US passport but have a Northern Ireland birth certificate. I think you need passport to go to Canda from United States. Will foreign birth certificate and California DL surfice?
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: how strict are they...

You all know the way things are going, we will all be required to get US Passports soon (that's what I hear anyway). So, just bite the bullet and get one. What's the big deal? I work for an airline, and we get very tired of people thinking they are "special" and don't have to abide by the rules. There is coming a day when they won't let you travel without one, and I hear it's very soon! So get with the program!
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:42 PM
JohnH

Amen!!
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Josie

Default Re: Re: how strict are they...

Why do we have expiry dates on our passports if they "really" expire six months earlier? And, I have completed on-line immigration information. If there is an issue, I would suggest it is good customer service for Princess to be checking this information regularly and notifying people of possible problems. I have never heard such garbage, but now I must check into it. I'm cruising the Caribbean in December, my passport expires in May. The worst thing as one poster noted above is that I'm sure I'll start to get all kinds of conflicting information, so will decide to renew early "to be safe". What it means is that over a period of time, I'll end up having to pay for 2 or 3 more passports because of renewing them early every time.
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Re: how strict are they...

Further to my post, I just came across this on the Foreign Affairs web-site.
Since my cruise includes Caracas (although having been there once before I have no intention ot stepping off the ship!!!) and I imagine they'll substitute Isla Margarita, I guess I am renewing my passport early to avoid any problems.

A valid Canadian passport <http://www.ppt.gc.ca/menu_e.asp> is required for
Canadians intending to visit Venezuela. The passport should be valid for at
least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the
country. Canadians must also be in possession of a tourist card (provided by
the airlines). A return or onward ticket is required to enter Venezuela.
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I'm originally from Montreal--my dad lives in Toronto. I am a US Citizen-have been since the mid 1960's. However, if we made an unscheduled trip to say, Niagara Falls, Ontario, from New York State,for the afternoon, I was a nervous wreck without any credentials. On my side, finally, I learned that a SS card and driver's license would be accepted.Whenever I knew I was going to be traveling to a distant place, I took my naturalization certificate, raised seal birth certificate along with me-just in case--I knew it was needed for the Islands.
Now, since my husband and I have been cruising more regularly, we have a passport which makes things so much easier. Ours is good for 11 years.
Having the passport cuts the line waits, allows entry into ports, etc. If I ever do get back up to Canada for a visit--it's been several years now-I will have that handy little passport with me.
From my vantage point on these cruises, the Customs Officials do, indeed, look at them carefully and want them open to the proper page. I'm very happy to oblige.

It's worth having a current one! Lynne

Old July 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM
pg

*Barbiegirl . I live in Victoria, so we are right on the border( across the water) we do not REQUIRE a passport to get in, but yes they are easier,and yes, I have one.