Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
cruiser1

Default Star Princess or Diamond Princess

Trying to decide between the Star Princess to the Eastern Carribean or the Diamond Princess to the Mexican Riviera in mid-December. Been on Carnival twice before and RC once, I hear Princess is a bit nicer. Been to the Carribean twice, never done Mexican Riviera but average temp is about 10 degrees warmer in the Carribean that time of year, so leaning slightly to that. Wondering if there is any relevant difference in the ships, opinions on the ports, and (from what I read), it seems I should choose traditional dining -- do you agree? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship
Default Re: Star Princess or Diamond Princess

The Diamond has several features and items that the Star does not have. I cruised on the Grand Princess and Coral Princess within the last 1 1/2 years.

I have cruised on the Star to Mexican Riviera.
Took a 2 hour viewing of the Diamond while in L.A. port.
I have the Diamond booked for Nov,2004.

The Star was/is a great ship but I like the new features on the Diamond - such as 4 PC dining/ 125' wide balcony connected to disco-a little larger standard cabins with larger balconies in a couple of categories. Want to see what the Club Fusion is all about and other items. Decor varies from other Princess ships. In other words it has my curiosity.

As far as itinerary, I have done both. They are both very different from each other. I have enjoyed both. I live in L.A. and can tell you that in December the temps while at sea from LA to San Diego will be in the 50's. It is 10-15 degrees cooler then on land. It will be in the high 70's to 80's in the Mexican ports.

I have done PC dining on my last 3 Princess cruises and will not go back to traditional. This is MY personal choice and widely enjoy it more. When I have not made reservations I have had the good fortune of never having to wait more the 10-15 minutes during 6:30-pm to 7:30 pm. Maybe I have just been lucky, I don't know, but I have now had experience with 3 ships.

I think you need to way what characteristics are important to you and make a decision based on your personal preferences.

65+ cruises on over 10 cruiselines.

Celebrity Mercury 09-24-07
HAL Veendam 12-16-07
PCL Golden Princess 04-19-08
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
MLH

Default Re: Star Princess or Diamond Princess

shayeship is right about the temperature. It wont really get warm like the caribbean until you reach cabo. Also there is an area along the baja that has strong winds, worsening the cold feeling. However, if you have never been to Mexico; and been to caribbean twice, I would go Mexico.

Have fun

MLH