Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Documents for US Citizens

Taking an Alaskan cruise that ends in Vancouver.

Are we going to need documents to prove our citizenship when we get off the ship? And then again when we reenter the U.S. the following day?????

My passport expired in March of this year. My husband's is good until October. We will be taking the cruise in September.

I don't have any birth certificate here at my summer home and no way to get it.

Wondering just how much identification I will need for this short stopover in Vancouver. And really not interested in getting a new passport at this time, if it's not necessary.

Thanks.

B..................
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Pea

Default Re: Documents for US Citizens

Normally, if documentation is needed, you will need it before you get on the cruise. They cannot check documentation for thousands of people leaving the ship.

If documentation is required by the cruiseline, you will need a raised seal birth certificate and a photo ID or a passport. This is as much for re-entering the US as it is for entering Canada.

Pea
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Betty,
You have plenty of time to re-new your passport, why not do that? Its actually the best identification you can carry.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Documents for US Citizens

As for renewing passport, I probably will not be using it again. AND all my documents are in a safe deposit box at my winter home. Not able to get them at this time.

So I was looking for a way to get around that.

I have read that even an expired passport will be accepted as proof....but I want to make sure................

It probably depends on the agent checking.......................

Thanks for replies.

B.............
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Crossing the border into the U.S - My son's picture id had been stolen in Canada, and even though we had his birth certificate, they were pretty strict. He was 15 at the time. They said if he was 16 they would have not let him cross the border and we would have had to drive home, get his school id with a picture on it and bring it back. Good grief. So all I can say is the more documentation you have, the better! (this was 2 years ago)

Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

As for renewing passport, I probably will not be using it again. AND all the documents I would need for renewing are in a safe deposit box at my winter home. Not able to get them at this time.

So I was looking for a way to get around that.

I have read that even an expired passport will be accepted as proof....but I want to make sure................I DO have that with me as I didn't realize it had expired when I came up to my summer home.

It probably depends on the agent who is checking.......................

Thanks for replies.

B.............
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Todd R

Default Re: Re: Documents for US Citizens

Betty,

Your expired passport will be sufficient.

Bon voyage
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Documents for US Citizens

Betty, have you considered checking the website of the state in which you were born to see if you can order another raised seal birth certificate? Here in PA it's only a few dollars and only takes a few weeks. Might be an option for you.

Joy
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:38 PM
bluewaves

get a passport, its so much less of a hassle than all that birth certificate and photo id crap. One piece of paper and thats it, and how much does a renewal passport cost?
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:43 AM
First Mate

Sorry to disagree with many of you, but and expired passport will not due. As far as checking your doc's when you leave the ship, they do that too. My last 3 out of 4 cruises since 9/11, our passports were checked after the cruise. (1 in NY 3 in Florida) If I were you, I wouldn't take the chance. The Canadians can be really difficult.
Call the cruise line directly and see what they say.
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel