Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
suzette spain

Default traditional or personal choice dining? Please help!

I'm sailing on the 7/9/04 Sapphire Princess cruise and right now, our group of 6 is signed up for the personal choice dining. I've been on 6 cruises (2 RCCL/3 Carnival/1 Emerald Seas) and thought that this new dining option is something worth trying. After reading some of the postings, I'm a little nervous about not choosing the traditional seating and am now considering changing. Is there anyone out there who has tried both and prefers one over the other? Or, does anyone have any advice? 2 of the people in our group are first time cruisers and I really want to make sure that we have the best of the best of times!

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
suzette spain

Default Re: traditional or personal choice dining? Please help!

Whoops! I meant the 7/11/04 sailing...we're actually flying in to Seattle on 7/9/04...
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

You'll have a wonderful time. However, I'm pretty sure it's much too late to sign up for Traditional dining - it fills up pretty early. Don't worry - have fun - you definitely will when you're travelling with Princess.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Suzette..

I think on the Sapphire, with all the variety of dining options in the many different restaurants, Personal Choice might be the better way to go.

And I'm normally a "traditional dining" type of guy. I'm sailing the Diamond Princess in August, and doing PC myself.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
First Mate

We have chosen traditional dining because we have heard that you can also sign up for pc dining anytime as long as you get your reservations in on time.
Have a great cruise all!!

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I only do PC because I don't like the idea of being limited on when I have to have my family ready. If you know you are going to eat at the sametime everyday make a reservation for the same table at at the sametime everyday.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
DICK STEIN

If this is your first Princess cruise you will have had trouble getting into traditional dining, especially first seating as it was full. Make all your reservations when you get on board and you will be all right. If your plans change getting a new dining time for 6 could be a problem. I heard a lot of complaints about PC dining when I was on Sapphire. Good luck.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004, Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002, Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000,
Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1998 & 1999, Westerdam-1998,
Oriania-1997, 1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Tatyu

I just returned from Caribbean Princess. Like a lot of you, I struggle whether to choose traditional or personal choice dining. Since I booked early, I ended up having first seating, traditional dining at Island Dining Room. I have experienced the followings:

1. In traditional dining, there is always a table reserved for you at the fixed time. If you choose not to go, the table will not be filled. It is difficult to get traditional dining, first seating, though.

2. On two nights, I went to Palm and Coral because I was almost 2 hours late for my table. I was not questioned. Instead, I got a table right away. I did not see anyone waiting. I guess even with traditional dining, I can still eat wherever I want. I may be wrong though.

3. There are two lobster nights and two seafood nights at buffet, but only one lobster night at traditional dining. The waitor told me that's the strategy to attract passengers to the buffet instead of relying heavily on the three dining rooms.

4. Food at buffet and dining room is different. At dining room, presentation is better and there is a general atmosphere of gourmet dining, though in fact it is not.

5. One more point about traditional dining. You will have the same waitor and assistant all the time, so service is better. They remember your preference and are willing to do extra miles to please you. For example, my wife complained about the water not hot enough for the tea and the assistant went all the way inside to get real hot water for us. Even if you don't have traditional dining, always reserve the same table with the same attendants, which will make a big difference.

Hope that's helpful.