Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Default Luggage to ship

I made my own airline arrangements and bought Princess transfers to and from the ship. Exactly how will this work when we arrive at the departure city? Do we go to baggage claim, claim our bags and look out for the Princess rep who will take us to the ship?

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage to ship

That's exactly what you do.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Luggage to ship

Thank you! Just needed to be sure I had that right. DH relies on me to handle all of the vacation arrangements (don't mind...half the fun is in the planning!) and I would have felt pretty bad if we neglected to pick up the luggage before running for the shuttle/bus to the ship!!!

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Admiral

I always claim my luggage, even if I have purchased transfers.

I have been on cruises (both Princess and non-Princess) where if you have ships luggage tags on the luggage when you check in at your departure airport, it will be taken directly to the ship. However, when using their transfers, I do not put the ships tags on them until I see my luggage at the arrival airport. I just tell the cruise rep that I 'neglected' to put them on the bags and need to retrieve my luggage. That way, you know that you luggage at least made it to the airport.
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Admiral

i think that since 911 you must claim your bags, the Princess reps are all over the place in baggage claim, you just hand them your transfer ticket and they will take you and your luggage to the correct bus.

HINT: Do NOT PUT your cruise tickets on your baggage before you fly, airline tickets only. Put the cruise tickets on your bags after you have claimed them at the airport
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Luggage to ship

Lisa:
I think you meant cruise luggage tags not tickets.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Here's a quote from the Princess Website, no more, no less....

CHECK-IN
In addition to your personal identification tag, please ensure you attach a completed Princess luggage tag to each piece of luggage before you leave home. The luggage tags are included in your cruise documents. Also, please remove any old airline flight tags.

TRANSFERS
If you purchased Princess’ airport-to-ship transfer or a Cruise Plus® package, you will be met by a uniformed Princess representative at the arrival port airport. For domestic U.S. flights, you will be met inside or just exiting the luggage claim area. Ensure you have claimed all your luggage prior to exiting the luggage claim area. From the airport, you will be transferred to the ship or to your hotel. If you have not purchased your air from Princess, please ensure you provide us with your flight details no later than 14 days prior to your departure date.

ENJOY!

Grand Princess 08/07 - British Isles & Ireland
Celebrity Horizon 6/05 - Bermuda
Golden Princess 8/04 - So. Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - Mediterranean 6/01 - the benchmark of our cruises
Celebrity Zenith - So. Caribbean - 4/97
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Correct since 911 you must claim your luggage..I was asked by airpot agent to see my tags before I left the luggage area in Italy recently...the first time in years...The cruise agent then will check you in and have your luggae taken to the ship.

For those concered about locking luggage..my last two trips I used the plastic wire ties that workman use..they were not removed by the FAA..I put them on after the TFA guy gave the bags his once over prior the airline check in.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

I would be afraid that the airline would remove the Princess luggage tag. Has anone had this happen?
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Passenger

I purchsed the TSA Approved locks from Brookstone. Hopefully it'll be better than no locks at all. I've always been leery about not having a lock on the luggage, although any valuables are in our carry-ons.

Grand Princess 08/07 - British Isles & Ireland
Celebrity Horizon 6/05 - Bermuda
Golden Princess 8/04 - So. Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - Mediterranean 6/01 - the benchmark of our cruises
Celebrity Zenith - So. Caribbean - 4/97
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Janie

If you are staying at a hotel in San Juan a day before your cruise does the Princess
staff take your luggage to your hotel or to the ship? If to the ship than all we have are our carry on bags. Right?
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Admiral

If you stay at a hotel the day before your departure you are responsible for all your luggage. I am not sure but i think that if you purchase a pre-cruise hotel stay/excursion through the cruise lines you might be able to check your bags all the way through to the ship. Its a question worth asking your TA about.

Getting back to the cruise tags- the airlines will not allow you to have your cruise ship tags on your bags when flying. The only tags that are allowed on your bags are the airline baggage claim tags(this happened to us). Keep your cruise ship baggage tags on your person with your travel documents, once you have claimed your luggage at the airport, then put the ships baggage claim tags on your bags.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM
SANDY M.

LisaK is correct. Do not put the Princess luggage tags until you arrive at the port city airport. Also you can lock your luggage now. Just take locks with you and inform the Airline Rept, that you want to lock your luggage once it has go through the xray machine.
I've been locking my luggage before and after 9/11.

Have a great cruise

Sandy M.