Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:42 PM
scoobyolivia

Default Carry-on alcohol/beverages

I was wondering if anyone knew if you were to purchase alcohol and/or other beverages throughout the cruise on the different islands, if there is any policy against bringing them aboard the cruise ship?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Carry-on alcohol/beverages

On the Grand, 9/03, they would collect any alcohol that was purchased as you were boarding back onto the ship. You then collected it at the end of the cruise. There was a lot of booze stacked at the entrance gates of the ship. If you're able to conceal it, you'll be OK IMO
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM
becs

what about soda?
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:52 PM
JImeeee4

They will search your carry on and confisticate hard liquor (I know this for a fact, we have been on eleven princess ships and been checked each time ) After having my bottle taken once, we pack it deep in a checked bag with no problems, Beer, wine, champagne were being allowed to pass, both at initial embarcation and after going ashore. If they do take it you will get it back at end of the cruise. Enjoy
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Passenger

I completely agree with JLmeee4. We never had our carry on searched, but I have heard others have. Put your booze in your check-in luggage and beer, soda, wine, in your carry-on. You can bring beer on board at an Island, provided you use moderation (say 10-12 beers). I've got through with 1 bottle of booze many times. The worse case senerio is that they take it and return it on the last night. Happy cruising..
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Admiral

When purchasing liquor on the duty-free islands that are known for their liquor deals, yes your case of liquor will be taken from you when you board. There is a desk right next to the scanner where they will take your liquor- they have a manifest that they fill out- how many and what type of liquor you bought, your name and cabin number. Your liquor will be delivered to your cabin on the last night of the cruise. I suppose that if you only had one small bottle of liquor and you wanted to have a drink in your cabin, you could try to hide it in your carry-on wrapped in a towel or something and hope that security didn't decide to search your bag. Wine and champagne are allowed to be brought back to your stateroom in moderate quantites.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:07 PM
RAE

you can purchase liquor from Princess room service and it will be brought to your room.
they have litre bottles and also packages that consist of 3 cans of soda/tonic and 375ml bottle of liquor. can purchase 6 cans of beer for 9.50
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Passenger

last year while cruising on the infinity in st thomas i was buying some beer to take back
to the ship we met two couples that were buying gin and vodka to take back on one of
the princess ships. they asked if we had any trouble getting the beer on the ship and
i said no trouble at all. they said princess would not allow it and would get it back at the end of the cruise. they solved the problem by buying bottled water and replacing the water with gin and vodka. where there a will there a way
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Snick's Guy

It all depends.

I have always concealed anywhere from 2-6 bottles in my checked lugagge on all my cruises, and have never had a problem.

Earlier this year when in St Thomas, mu friend bought a bottle of rum at a liquor store near the pier and simply put in inside her beach bag. I went through the scanner before her, so I was able to watch her bag being scanned as she entered. The bottle of rum was very visible in her bag on the scanner screen, but I guess the security guy either was watching or didn't care, and she was able to bring it on board.

Maybe Princess is more lienient in this area. I have another friend who just got off of Norwegian a few weeks ago who packed ten bottles of wine in her checked luggage, and had her luggage confiscated, and had to report to a "holding room" with other offenders and was threatened being told "you know we could kick you off the ship right now".
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

a lot comes down to"everything in moderation" Princess will allow you bring aboard(carry-on) a few bottles of wine/champagne for your personal consumption during the cruise.
10 bottles of wine i think would be considered excessive, especially if the cruise line had a no alcohol to be brought on board policy. They probably could have "gotten away "with sneaking aboard a couple of bottles in their checked baggage.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM
ssolomon

You know - I'm really surprized at some of the comments about bringing liquor into a Princess ship! We've cruised with Princess four times - since 2000, and I have NEVER had a single problem bringing liquor on board without having to sneak anything.

As a matter of fact, in March 2001 - we were on Ocean Princess going out of San Juan for our honeymoon. At the pier is a small duty free liquor store - where we could have purchased cases of liquor and it could be delivered right to our room if we wanted. Instead, we bought a case of soda, several bottles of wine and tequila and margarita mix - and brought it right to our room. No problem at all!

I kept a bottle of wine in the fridge - and the room steward brought in an ice bucket for me to keep it chilled.

So...I'm confused!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Admiral

ssolomon, i think a lot depends upon what port you are leaving from, and who is manning check-in and the scanners. If you are leaving from say St. Thomas which is known for its liquor deals and people are known to buy the max amount allowed duty-free per person and they are carrying cases of liquor to the ship they will be taken from you and stored until the last day of the cruise, or if you are carrying liquor in your carry-on bag and it is obvious that you are laden down with something then your bag will be checked and the liquor will be taken.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know that on another line, they would allow you to bring on bottles but charged something like a $10 uncorking fee. Does Princess do that as well?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Carry-on alcohol/beverages

If you buy liquor on an island just wrap it in your beach towel and put it in your beach
bag and you will have no problem. Have done this on every cruise I have been on.
If you try to carry those boxed liquors with the carry handles, or liquor in a bag that
has the liquor store printed on the side, you would be waving it in their faces and
it will be confiscated.