Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Regal Princess-Panama Canal

Hi. I'm considering taking a January cruise on this ship. I understand there is no forward facing deck and no wrap around promenade deck. Has anyone taken this cruise on this ship? How was the viewing on it and is the ship still wonderful after 13 years?

I am a 44 year old single woman travelling alone. I pretty much do my own thing and like alternative and casual dining in the evening that I can do by myself. I'm not very fancy and am also considering a HAL cruise. I wonder which I'd like better? I really want a good experience through the Panama Canal. I've sailed Princess once before on the Dawn and enjoyed it.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Regal Princess-Panama Canal

The Regal is a great ship, older than the Dawn with less amenities of the 'newer' ships. The dome area is a great viewing area and there are, just like the Dawn, 'front' deck viewing areas (that many passengers never find).

Sailed on the Regal Princess from Sydney to Auckland in January 2003 and had previously sailed on the Crown Princess (her sister ship, no longer in the fleet) and loved her to.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:15 PM
JImeeee4

We have cruised the Regal a couple of times and I can find no place where I can stand forward and feel the wind in my face. Would your share your secret.
we are booked again in February (25th anniversary with wedding vows renewal. )
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Dale C

We sailed the Regal in January. That is the best time of the year in my opinion. The sun is less intense, less humid, and not quite as hot as other times of the year. Although it will still be in the low to mid 90's.
The Regal does have a forward facing outside deck but there is only room for about 100 passengers. It is a fairly well kept secret. To get to it you go to the right side of the ship, (sorry, I'm not sure about my nautical terms), I think it is on the 9th or 10th deck. You go down the hallway all the way to the front until you must turn and go left to the center of the ship. Then go forward through 2 doors and you will be out in the open. You can only get there from the one hallway on the right. You will be just below the bridge. Ask a crew member about it and they should know how to guide you. I'm with you, I like the feeling of being outside so I didn't care for viewing in the dome.
I would advise to go through the canal from Pacific to Atlantic side. We came into Panama City at sunrise and went under the Pan Am bridge just as it was gettin daylight. It was a beautiful sight.
We liked the ship. It was very clean and in good condition. You do not have to eat in the fromal dining room as they also have buffets set up for all meals.
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Ernie

Dale C. is right. On the Regal, Get to Baja deck, #10, the starboard (right) side and go forward as far as you can. Jog. left then right, through some doors and you will be outside just below the bridge. Yes, get there early and stake your piece of railing. The Regal is a fine ship and the view forward is spectacular.
I am sailing on her to Alaska this Sunday, 7/25 out of San Francisco and I will be on Baja forward going out under the Golden Gate Bridge (my 8th trip to AK, 2nd on the Regal).
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
David Starkey

After my trip on the Regal.... I would NEVER sail this this again.....Princess yes...Regal no. The ship layout and no forward viewing area were a major disapointment along with the fact that the ship was not very clean.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:12 PM
ssolomon

I disagree with David!

My very first cruise (also my longest) was a 10 day cruise out of Hawaii in May 2000. I loved it so much that we just booked our 20th cruise! Not all have been on Princess...but our very favorite of all was the Regal Princess. It is a lovely ship - the IS a forward viewing area...you just didn't look well enough. Go to the Baja deck (deck 10) on the starboard side and go as far forward as possible. That will take you to some doors leading to outside - it's under the bridge.

Enjoy!