Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Default Weary from dealing with Princess

Forgive me if I sound too negative but I am really disappointed with Princess. My SIL who is in her second year after being diagnosed with ALS is going with my DH, me, and her DH on the Tahitian Princess in September. ALS is a very quickly progressing motor-neuron disease. Average life expectancy being three to five years after diagnosis.
Anyway, my SIL started using a wheelchair part of the time and is getting worse. I asked my TA to request an upgrade for them if at all possible. (We had guarantee status) I saw that the handicap cabin was available so we requested that (if posssible). We were told that she should have requested it when we booked but at the time of bookiing she was not using a wheelchair.
To make a long story shorter, we were given BA cabins at the stern of the ship. These have solid partitions from the railing down to the floor and you can't see over if you are seated which, of course, she would normally be. We requested a regular balcony so she could see out when seated. No luck. I ended up requesting a downgrade to get a regular balcony. This I was given but no offer of a shipboard credit was made by Princess. The downgrade was three levels below what they had payed for. I must have made half a dozen calls to my poor TA who spent hours on the phone with Princess during the last few months. I did not ask for anything for my DH and myself. Just hoped for a bit of compassion from Princess for a 57yr old who is dying. I wanted this to be the best possible trip for her and hope it will be. I am glad that she will have a regular balcony but wish Princess had done more to help us out.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Pea

Default Re: Weary from dealing with Princess

I'm amazed they could even do that accomodation. The Tahitian Princess is very popular and usually booked solid. It's quite possible that there were just no other cabins to move her to. When did you originally book?

I am suprised that if you asked for the handicap cabin and it was available and you were willing to pay for it (since you booked guarantee, even if the handicapped cabin was the same category, you'd probably be responsible for the difference in the fare) that they didn't let you have it.

Pea
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Interestingly I do not actually see that when the upgrade was requested that any agreement to pay any additional cost was volunteered. Just a request for the higher category room.
I have compasion for anyone in the circumstances described, but, once you realized two things, one that yiou needed a handicap room, and two that the room was available, you should have changed your reservation and booked the specific room, paying the additional cost. That done, you would not be struggling with changes the way you are now.
In addition, if you knew you wanted specific types of rooms to get a specific balconey type, this again was another arguement for booking a specific room, not a guarantee.
Unfortunately when you book the guarantee you are not really in a position to complain if you get what you paid for.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Passenger

Pea and Papa Bill, you are right , of course. I guess I'm disappointed and a little angry with myself as well. I should have just picked out cabins next to each other and we would have paid less and gotten what we wanted. I have had good luck with guarantee category in the past but should have done more research on this particular ship before I booked for us all. I was just eager to get the booking in for a cruise while my SIL could still go. Thanks for bringing me down to reality.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM
cruisinfirst

I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful cruise. My heart goes out to what your family is facing. You'll be in my prayers.