CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Sapphire Princess- Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/225995-sapphire-princess-alaska.html)

Antonio July 26th, 2004 12:00 PM

Sapphire Princess- Alaska

Just came back from the July 18 through July 25th trip to Alaska on Princess Sapphire.

If you have any questions, I will try and answer them for you. I know this web-site helped me, so I will try and pay back the favor.

Antonio

Halen10 July 26th, 2004 12:38 PM

Re: Sapphire Princess- Alaska

Antonio,
Did you do traditional or PC dining. How were people dressing for non-formal night? Any tours that you would recommend?
Thanks,
Bob

Jane_Marlow July 26th, 2004 01:01 PM

Did you use room service? If so, did you enjoy it? Good menu? Was the staff friendly? Helpful? How was your stateroom?

Antonio July 26th, 2004 04:46 PM

Re: Re: Sapphire Princess- Alaska

Halen10,

We used Traditional Dining. We had no problems and the service was INCREDIBLE!!

Non-Formal nights "most" people still were dressed as if you were going out on the town. Guys had slacks with button down or Polo shirts.

If you have the money, we all LOVED the Helicopter Glacier Trek in Juneau!

Jane,

We used room service once. They were fast and super courteous. No issues with the staterooms. Overall we had a GREAT TRIP!! SAPPHIRE was wonderful

Thanks
Antonio

Jane_Marlow July 27th, 2004 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds great.

Fran August 20th, 2004 09:37 PM

Re: Re: Sapphire Princess- Alaska

My sister in law is getting married on the Sapphire next Aug. What deck did you stay on & do have any suggestions as to the front or back of ship.

Can you bring your own alcohol on board?

stephenn August 23rd, 2004 11:45 AM

I just finished a trip on Sapphire (Aug 1-8) and had a great time.

I used PC dining and had no problems either. I really like the option of going where you want, when you want and sitting with who you want. We werre there for a wedding too so the flexibility PC dining afforded us was well worth it.

I used room service almost every day (ate at horizon's once). There was the occasional glitch but it was just a matter of letting them know, what you wanted and things got resolved. Staff really seem to have been trained to make the customer happy as we did challenge them a bit and they always rose to meet my request (with one exception, when I asked the Captain for a tour of the mechanical room he politely declined).

Generally speaking people dressed up for the formal night though a good percentage did not. Probably 30% in Tuxes, 30% dressed semi formal, 20% dressed business casual, 20% dresses casually (many of these people did not go out much so you only saw them in the hallway when you went back to your room).

For excursions I did the heli tour in Juneau too. I would definitely not use Temsco though, unless you want a bunch of rude kids telling you rudely what to do. Go with Coastal and arrange it yourself. Having said that, I also took a cessna 185 over to glacier bay out of skagway. That was cheaper and better than the heli tour. I used Mountain Flying Service and really enjoyed it.

To Fran, I think dolphin or caribe are best as they are central. The ship is big enough that is doesn't matter where you are (front, middle, back) but more important to be close to the people you are spending time with. Just get the best room you can and worry about location later.

I brought a bunch of alcohol onboard. Just make sure you put it in your checked baggage and not your carry on.