Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
N.H.

Default New to cruising..

Hi, in Dec 2004 my family and I are going to be cruising on the Coral Princess ship for a 10-day cruise to the Panama Canal. Now is there a site I can check out what is all on the ship. I have 2 children ages 8 and 3 yrs. Will I be able to do laundry on the ship if I need to. Will I be able to buy medicine if one of my children should get sick? I am new to the cruise experience and would just like some insight.. PLEASE. Also do we have to dress up every night. Does my husband have to wear a tux or would a sport jacket be fine? I have so many questions..Thanks for the help. Feel free to email me. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: New to cruising..

Hi N.H.
Welcome to the world of cruising....Since you will be on a Princess ship, they do have self service laundry rooms on each guest deck and there is a dr. onboard if you need one.

There will be a few "formal" evenings where yes, your husband will need a dark suit or tux if he has one and a nice dress for you as well. Even for the "casual" nights, you'll need to wear a dress or pants outfit, no shorts in the dining room for dinner. The guys can wear docker type pants and polo shirts. Shorts are OK for breakfast and lunch though.

You may want to read through the section here for "first cruisers", lots of info and tips:

First Time Cruisers

Have a wonderful time and continue to ask all your questions, lots of folks here that can help with the answers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Admiral

dear NH - welcome to wonderful world of cruising. To answer your questions- go to the Princess web site click on fleet then go to Coral Princess it will give you all sorts of information on her.
All Princess ships have self-serve laundry on every passenger cabin deck.
Medicines - bring enough for the duration of the cruise, prescription meds need to be in their original marked containers or in pill containers and you need to bring a copy of the prescription just in case immigration searchs your bags. Same thing for non-preescription meds like Tylenol, Benadryl, Bonine, Tums things like that. You can get them at a pharmacy on most islands but the ships store is very limited and the prices are very high. Make a list of all non-prescription meds that you and your children take and bring enough for the cruise. We always pack- Tylenol/Advil, Sudafed, Claritin, Bonine, Tums, Anti-Itch cream, Neosporin/bandaids, Aloe burn gel.
You will have 2 formal nights on your cruise. A dark suit or tux is best, but a nice dark sports jacket, dress pants, shirt , tie & dress shoes would be fine - this applies to the children also. Young boys don't really need a suit or jacket, just the dress pants, dress shirt/tie & dress shoes. Girls usually wear pretty party-type dresses on formal nights.
All of the other nights are "smart casual"- which means dockers type or cargo pants for the men/boys with a nice polo type jersey, hawaiian shirts are very popular especially on island night, casual shoes. For the girls/women - sheath or sundress w/flat sandals, nice capris with a nice top or sweater, dockers type pants with a nice shirt/blouse or a nice skirt & blouse combo. No shorts,t-shirts or jeans in the dining rooms during dinner. Ok for breakfast & lunch.
Check out the kids program for your kids - Princess has really great kids programs.
The Panama Canal is an awesome trip. Go to the library and get a book about the canal to get your kids really pscyched about it.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Yeoman

You can always eat at the Horizon Court buffet if you don't want to dress up. .

Carnival Inspiration