Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Monti
Default Personal Choice Dining

Princess Sun cruise Alaska summer of 2005, can anyone explain the Personal choice dining? We prefer to not have tablemates, and the flexible dining times look more appealing for our needs. Would we still dine in the same dining areas as the traditional dining? Or will there be other dining areas set aside for personal choice diners? Will we have the same food selections? Also, when I booked the trip, we also booked the traditional early seating (this was before I knew we had a choice) so how would I change to personal choice so I can give some else the opportunity to reserve the traditional seating? Thanks the help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Personal Choice Dining

Personal Choice is what you want if you don't want tablemates and you want to choose the time you eat at. There are separate dining rooms set up for personal choice and yes the food is the same. Formal nights are still formal in the personal choice dining room.

You can call Princess and change your meal selection and then someone on the traditional wait list will get traditional.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Monti, - Anytime Dining works like a restaurant back home, there are separate dining rooms for Anytime dining and traditional dining. You will have a different table, different wait-team and different tablemates at each meal( if you choose to). The menus are the same and the dress codes for the evening applies to all the restaurants with the exception of the buffets, bistros & pizzerias. Call your TA and have them switch you from Traditional to Anytime dining to free up a reservation for those on the wait list for traditional dining.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

You will have one dining room assigned to you (I think it was the Marquis.), and that is where you will eat each night that you choose to go there. If you find a waiter that you especially like, you can request a table in his section. You can make reservations or not. We always requested a table for 2 and got it. We never had to wait over about 5 - 10 minutes even though we never made reservations and requested a special waiter for the last 4 nights. You can also choose to go to the Sterling Steak House or the others Lisa mentioned. We loved PC Dining so much that the availability of PC Dining was the deciding factor when we chose our next cruise.

Carnival Inspiration
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM
justgotback

Personal choice dining is great. I suggest though that you look at your schedule for the week and make reservations for the whole week when you get on the ship. That is what I did and I had not problem getting a table the whole week. There was only two of us and we didn't have to sit with other people. When I made my reservations, I just rotated through the 4 restaurtants. Later in the week, if you decided you really like one of them and want to return there, you can change your reservation. If you also like a particular waiter, you can request to sit in their area. Personal choice is great, gives you variety, and you still get to eat from the same menu as those in the main dining room. In the personal choice restauratnts, you get additional choices.
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Jim C

I still don't understand this. In looking at the Princess web site under Personal Choice dining on the Diamond, it gives the list of 7 restaurants, all of which show "smart casual" for "atmosphere". What is that suppose to mean?? Other postings say that whether you have traditional or personal choice dining, the dress of the evening is the same. So why do they list "smart casual" for all the restaurants??
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Jim, my impression has always been the dress for the day is the same ... However, I bet more casual would work in the buffet most days/nights.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Greetings Jim -

To me, smart casual means, dress as though I purposly planned to eat at the "restaurants" and therefore am able to give myself more time and thought to what I wear and my overall appearance; rather than just spontaniously dropping by the buffet, wearing whatever I happen to have on.

One is planned the other spontanious - and the cruise line is happy to provide us with both options.

Here's a "what if"...

(1) A couple invites you and your sweetie over for a backyard grill and specifically mentions - hey, don't forget to bring your swim trunks. You bring swim trunks, right?

(2) You and your sweetie are over at your buddies and your wearing cutoffs or shorts and they say, "Hey lets cook up some "dogs" and grab a swim - you'll be dry by the time your ready to leave." So you enjoy a spontanious swim, food and friends. No harm no foul.

Situation (1) is intentional and demonstrates consideration toward your host.
Situation (2) is spontanious and gives you more latitude and freedom of choice.

Hey, it comes down to: when i'm packed in the car taveling and need to eat, McDonalds gets me the "way I am". But if I had the time and choice, I'd rather freshen up a bit and go to Outback Steakhouse.

Willy
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Jim C

I still don't see where "smart casual" translates into a jacket and tie or a dark suit. I simply don't understand why they are using the term at all.
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

JimC smart casual doesn't translate into jacket and tie it translates into nice slacks and a polo shirt. Last year my dad packed a jacket for for all nights even through I told him he wouldn't need it. The first night he wore a jacket and tie and noticed that nobody else had one he then wore dress slacks and a polo shirt the rest of the smart casual nights like the rest of the men.

This time the only suit he is taking is a tux for formal night.
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:33 AM
Jim C

I guess I'm not making myself clear. On the Princess website, under Personal Choice Dining, it says EVERY restaurant is "smart casual" and it doesn't say just on some nights-- it suggests it's every night. Am I to presume the Princess website is wrong?
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sallie
Default Andy

I want Andy to come on my cruise too- let's face it one look and anyone would fall for Andy! Thanks you for your informative post.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Ahracer

Typically the same dress code is followed throughout the ship. This is the first time I've heard about it being Smart casual all the time in PC.

You are not assigned to a particular PC dining room, you go to which ever one you want.

The Diamond and Sapphire have a slightly different PC concept since they have 4 themed PC dining rooms.

Scott
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:28 PM
Ahracer

By the way I'm pretty sure the Sun only has one PC dining room.

Scott
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Jim C

I got a Princess cruise catalog and the "smart casual" is at last clarified. There are only two kinds of dress on Princess ships- "formal" and "smart casual". A 16 day cruise will have 3 formal evenings where a dark suit for men is suggested. The other 13 nights are "smart casual" where slacks and an open collar shirt are the norm. Very simple. No more semi-formal nights, thank goodness.

Now, hopefully one final question which isn't explained in the cruise catalog. If we were to select "traditional dining", can we make reservations and go to one of the no-charge alternative restaurants on a couple of nights or are those restaurants strictly for those guests selecting the "personal choice" dining? Am not interested in the restaurant which has a surcharge.
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Sallie, Andy says thanks for the compliment.

God knows we are trying to figure out how to get him on board.

:-)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!