Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Terry Hicks

Default Princess does not care

I booked a Alaska cruise on Saphire Princess and found that not only was teir service poor, but they simply do not care.

On the last day of the cruise, prior to reaching Victoria, while I was at lunch, someone came into my room and removed the form. The form was in an area that someone would have had to go into my personal things in order to get it. I searched the entire room and found the form gone. I then ask my Sister and brother in-law about their form they were in the next cabin. They had stored theirs in a file of personal papers in their desk. They found that their form was also gone.

After the incident occurred I went to the front desk and they acted like nothing had occurred and told me not to worry about it. Later after I found that my sister in-laws form had also been removed I contacted the customer service manager and he gave me the corporate customer service address, but still acted like nothing was wrong. Corporate customer service has responded that they will inform management and told me they hope I will book another cruise with them.

I have sailed on many cruises and had always had the impression that Princess Cruises were special. I have been booked on Carnival, Royal Carribean, and Century cruises in the past. I looked forward to this cruise and have now been disappointed with the results of the cruise. Many of the issues below are the items that I found to be lacking.

(1) Smoking exists in every part of the boat. There are no breaks and no one enforces areas that are clearly marked as No Smoking Areas.

(2) The beds within the staterooms were extremely hard.

(3) Most of the bars and entertainment facilities close before 1:00 am in the morning.

(4) The serving line in the Horizons restaurant is poorly designed for food delivery. It requires at minimum two trips through the serving line in order to get food. This creates a huge bottleneck and results in much passenger confusion.

(5) Room Steward service was poor and many times I had to call room service to accomplish things my steward should have done. Because of this I find the mandatory tip insulting.

(6) The crews on the ship, vacuum the halls at 1:00 – 2:00 am in the morning and clean the promenade deck at 9 – 10 am in the morning. This seems to be at odds with each other. While people are sleeping they make noise in the hall and when people want to exercise they close the deck.

(7) The entertainment was very poor. It was not even comparable with other cruises and their entertainment. The only bright spot was the comedian who was very funny.

(8) I feel like I was totally ripped off by the new Sabatini’s concept. The food was poor and not comparable with any Italian restaurant. Basically, you pay an extra $20 per person to get extra quantities of poorly prepared food.

(9) Staffing is a problem, The reason I know that staffing is a problem is because everyone on the boat told me so. While I am sympathetic I am also on vacation and really do not want to hear excuses for shoddy service. They did not discount my cruise price, so I expect the same level of service as any other cruise. If you have a staffing problem on a new boat – shut down an old boat and bring the personnel aboard the new ship. The new ship should represent the best service available on Princess Cruises. That is why I picked it.

In the end I truly enjoyed Alaska. The ship is beautiful and the construction incredible. The service is dismal at best.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess does not care

OK, I'm at a loss. What is this form you had removed from your room?

I trust you have also sent a letter to Princess' corporate offices in addition to venting here.

Tips are not mandatory, you could have had them removed from your bill.

Since you have sailed other lines before, one would think you'd have the terminology down for the conveyance sailed. You only got it right a couple of times. Minor point as even Princess got it wrong a long time ago and lives with it for marketing purposes, i.e., Love Boat.

Good point about the timing of services - again, contact corporate.

I never use the additional charge restaurants as to me this is either snob appeal or sending the message that the dining room food is sub par. Others seem to like it. I guess they wouldn't do it if it didn't make them extra profits.

If a room steward or waiter is not performing up to par, I am not adverse to letting their management know. I've had room stewards and waiters switched from our tables. I've also had service improve dramatically by letting the right people know there is a problem. Usually the results are so good that I end up adding some cash to what has been charged to the cabin account.

I've never been impressed with the shows on board. In the past I enjoyed seeing some first run movies but some of the Princess ships are poorly designed for movies, especially the Grand class. I know, one can always see a movie on land but so can one read a book - I enjoy cruises with a lot of sea days and on those, I like to sometimes watch a new movie. But I digress.

I can't imagine why a cruise line, except for NCL cruises that have to have an American crew, would understaff. They pay them so little with most of their earnings coming from tips. And if those tips aren't earned, they shouldn't get them. JMNSHO.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Passenger

All I can say is there is always one on every board. What FORM are you tallking about?
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Let me know what form this is so we can put it in the safe! Shoot.. I am just going to put all the papers in the safe!

Old August 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Tom and Darlene

Alaska on 28th, I will hide my form
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Jane_Marlow

What is a "form"?
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Tom and Darlene

I don't know but I am hiding it!
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:52 PM
cruznut6

If the the "FORM" happened to be the Passenger Survey that's completed at the end of the cruise, I KNOW WHY the cabin attendent decided to "remove" it ;-)

Bob
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis

There is no such thing as 10am in the morning, it's either 10 am or 10 in the morning. I guess when something goes wrong all one can see is that which went wrong. Following up with those of appropriate authority at the time of the incident would have prudent. "Venting" here is non-productive.

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Pea

I don't mind the venting...I just want to know what the dang form is!!! I can't figure it out for the life of me. Or why the steward would take the form, but nothing else...not just take the form, but seek out it's hiding place.

I'm also trying to figure out what room service would do that the steward didn't, except bring ice. If that's it, why not state it. Maybe the poster meant housekeeping. I always wonder when someone posts "what my steward should have done" if they ever bothered to request it directly or leave a note. It's just easier to understand "I asked my steward for extra towels every day and he would never bring them. I ended up calling housekeeping."

I just wish people posting...especially those venting, would be specific about there complaints.

Pea
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

What fr%@$%$#ing form are you talking about???? <vbg>

Old August 5th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Well, I would assume that the 'form' is the survey form. Now, if it was so important, I would imagine that something this valuable would be put in the safe, where the cabin attendent could not find it. I have my suspicions that it was well hidden and that the attendent went thru personal things to get to it.

As for the vacuuming, most public areas are vacuumed at night when passengers are not around and yup, decks during the day....can you hear this person now, the decks up top are being cleaned, deck chairs being moved and you are in one of the cabins below and trying to sleep?
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Familiar Face

Ever notice how a complainer shows up on a post and you never hear from him/her again?? Makes me wonder.
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Admiral

let them vent and be done with it. Those of us who are veteran Princess cruisers know what the truth is.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Lisa, I most certainly have a suggestion for your Phantom booking for Princess 2005.

Join in on the Pirates of the Texaribbean CruiseMates Cruise on February 19th.

And cruisemates, if Lisa does book the Grand Princess for 2/19/05, you will certainly want to buddy up with her for the Pirates Trivia Contest! You'll be guaranteed First Prize!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:27 PM
True Brit

Whatever the "form" might or might not be seems to be a little irrelevant. I have not read every word on this thread but it appears that a person who had access to the cabin(sorry stateroom!) went through somebody's private papers/files. There are a limited number of staff who have such access and the Purser's desk should have instigated an enquiry as a matter of urgency (assuming that they were informed of the problem).My wife and I are about to go on Tahitian Princess and I would not want to think that whenever I leave my cabin somebody might be going through the drawers!!! Obviously we always leave passports,cash,credit cards and airline tickets in the safe but it only is so big and I really cannot be bothered about putting the cruise questionnaire(for example)in there.
Interestingly we took a RCI cruise a few years ago and were very disappointed with a number of aspects of the cruise e.g. lack of service, lack of information and quality of food. We noted all these problems down on the questionnaire (which only arrived at 10p.m on the last evening) and thought no more. To our total surprise we received an email from RCI within about 7 days of returning home asking us to explain in more detail our problems and to suggest how they might put matters right in the future! There I was thinking that the questionnaire would have been destroyed by whoever read it on the ship; it was that condemning!
Should I think that anyone has"taken liberties" with my personal possessions in my cabin rest assured I will be taking an interest in their future employment.
Tahiti here I come!
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Princess does not care

>Should I think that anyone has"taken liberties" with my personal possessions in my cabin rest assured I will be taking an interest in their future employment.<

In my 15+ cruises, I've never had anything taken from my cabin/state room. We always put the important items in the safe but we've accidentally left some jewelry or cash out and it was still there when we accessed the room again.

I think we've all deduced that this mysterious "form" that was taken not only from her room but from her in-law's state room seems preposterous. Those forms are turned in by the passengers in a special location in the lobby. Cabin stewards do not pick these up or throw anything out that is not in the trash basket.

One would think that if one takes the time to post something like this that they would be interested in the replies unless they are to embarrassed to reply after reading them.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:14 AM
lancet

I too have never had anything taken from my cabin, even poker chips left laying around (I know, stupid to do it). The only forms you get are dis-embarkation forms and trip evaluation forms. Not things of value in a pawn shop. Judging by her tone and total anticruise attitude, maybe she blasted the room stewart on the evaluation form. That would prompt taking the form. Bad reports by the passenger on personel are looked at seriously by the cruise line, and the employees know this. But I doubt her whole story, to be blunt about it.
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Passenger

We are on the Diamond on the 28th. After reading all the postings we almost had second thought, then decided the trip is what we make of it. We are very excieted, it's our first cruise and even if things go wrong, we will be away from work somewhere that we have nver been before!!! 22 Days!!!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
lyndab

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess does not care

I was on the Alaska cruise on the diamond a short time ago and I had a fantastic time. In all my years of cruising, I have never had anything taken from my cabin. The only form i can imagine is the passenger survey form. Those can be picked up at the purser's desk. They are usually in holders all over the place in that area. Hard to believe the cabin steward searched through all personal items to find this "form." Anyway, for anyone going to Alaska, you will have a wonderful time. I thought the food was good (not great, but good) with plenty of choices for everyone. The op was probably a one post wonder. Happy Friday.

Lynda
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Princess does not care

You will have a great time on this cruise. Don't expect perfection, the lower one's expectations, the more pleased they are with the overall result. The original poster's comments do not seem to reflect the rest of the poster's remarks and they are all seasoned cruisers. Just use common sense and you'll have a great time.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 8th, 2004, 12:58 AM
TERBO40

Holy Moly...

Could this person have been on the same ship as I was?! My family just returned week ago from the 7/25 Alaska sailing on the Sapphire and I found the service to be more than one could ask for! It seemed to me like the ship was crawling with help who couldn't do enough to please us... even when not on duty. And I heard NOT ONE complaint or groan from any staff member. Saw LOTS of SMILES though :O)

Yes, the Horizon Food Court isn't set up to perfection, a common complaint talked about on this site, but I found it was in part to them having so very many offerings to choose from! The line issues and confusion comes mostly from impatient people jumping the lines and once you go through it a few times, you get the jist of where different types of food items are at. A little bit of an adventure at busy times, but no problem for anyone who brings just a little patience along with them on the trip and there were other alternatives if one didn't want to dine there.

Didn't eat at Sabatini's, but was more than pleased with the dining experiences at all 4 of the personal choice restaurants. Felt like a queen all dressed up and being waited on. Didn't make any reservations because we truely wanted to dine when we felt like it versus planning ahead and had no problems being seated. (We did tend to eat early 5:30-6pm)

The cleaning schedule goes without saying... I never saw or heard them vacuuming or cleaning the decks... and am appreciative of the fact these things do get done! Saw some painting going on, but nothing obtrusive to interrupt my good time. Our cabin was methodically cleaned with turn down service and chocolates on our pillows every day and our cabin steward went out of his way not to get in our way. I know on more than one occassion he was waiting for us to vacate the cabins and did not hurry us at any time. He was very patient, unobtrusive, attentive to our needs and deserved the extra $20 tip we left him! Several other stewards on the floor would smile and say good morning or wish us a good day or good night when we passed as well. I was thinking how very hard these people work and how nice it would be if our American work force complained less and worked half as hard!

I was leaving Club Fusion between 12-12:30am each night and it seemd to me that the party was just getting started! Some cruise staff would show up late for dancing and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen them there all dressed up for a 30 minute party. Noone was kicking me out or making any last calls for drinks. Yes, unfortunately there was smoking in the clubs, which I too have an aversion to, but I didn't let it ruin my time. It was better in the no smoking section despite those seats being further away from the main floor. It didn't usually get bad until around 11pm after the club got busier and the smokers were in house awhile. Cigar and pipe smoking were not allowed.

There was no smoking in any dining area and I saw very few smoking anywhere on decks. I personally would like to see Princess limit smoking to Churchill's Lounge, smoking staterooms and on open decks away from game, gym, pool and food areas
(I liken this to having to go outside to smoke). That way all can enter the main entertainment club without having to be subjected to their second hand smoke unless they choose to be.

Yes, the mattress was firm... comfortably so, and I slept well. Every one has their own mattress preferences and no cruise line can please everyone in this category.

As far as the form goes... that must have been the disembarkation form due before getting off the ship on Victoria. Taking a fille dout form would have been doing you a favor, although I find it very hard to believe it happened. The oly other form could be the disembarkation or opinion survey forms... and I say (even though it would have been wrong of them and I don t'believe it happened) YAY to that steward if he/she purposefully trashed it!

Was everything perfect.? No... this isn't a perfect world, but they came darn close!.
Two of our excursions had to be cancelled because of weather issues and getting up at 7am only to be sent away was very disappointing. But hey, noone can control Mother Nature. i suggested on my form they try to initiate a progrm to call people on cancelled tours in their staterooms you then can plan a new itenerary, wardrobe, or roll over and get some extra sleep!

The only real complaint I have is that once you disembarked in Seattle, it was every man for himslef at the taxi stands. Chaos... and very frustrating to see such impatience and rudeness of passengers cutting each other. Some form of order is very much needed. Aside of that, Princess did a fine job... and I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise from start to finish!
Old August 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't wait to get my FORM cause I'm gonna hide it really really good and they wont find IT, ha!!! ha!!!!

Post Edited (08-08-04 12:14)

Golden Princess Here WE Come!!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM
cruise182

Someone left a form in my room!! Where did it come from? Why was it left? Who left it? I also have a lot of un answered questions!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Passenger

On the 28th when I get on Diamond, I will find the form and hide it in my underwear!!

Diamond Alaska-cocoa

Carnival Imagination- tequila
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM
cruise182

Ahhh I get it now....it wasnt a form but "The Form"!! The form is not just a form but rather the Form. I hope I get The Form. Do I need The form. it sounds to important to not have!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:25 PM
cruise182

One last thin and then i will move on. when the form was stolen did you have to fill out a form to inform the line about the stolen form. Did they replace the form with another form or did you just forget about the form?
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Passenger

That is a fom-itable thought!

Diamond Alaska-cocoa

Carnival Imagination- tequila
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis

May the FORM be with you!

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:22 PM
susancruzs

Hmm, another "hit and run" post for the form, oh I mean forum! Why do these people always post and disappear???

Susie