Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Default ALASKA LAND & CRUISE

Hi:
We leave in two weeks on the Island Princess for the 5 day land tour and 7 days on the ship. I've having trouble figuring out my packing for this one. Not my first cruse (#31) but my first land tour and cruise. Has anyone gone on this and how did you pack for the land portion? Our docs say only a small bag for the train ride. It looks like we have to pack for the land portion and then the train and then the cruise. It's going to be a challenge. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.....Happy Cruising

Buddy
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:06 AM
TERBO40

Default Re: ALASKA LAND & CRUISE

I hear you! We brought an array of items to cover our active, outdoor excusions to warm Seattle days and dress-up items for dinner. It was the most I have ever taken on a week long trip, but I used almost everything I brought because we saw temps ranging from 40's to 90's! Had beautiful sunny days and cold, wet ones too. If you don't have one, purchase a good, lightweight raincoat which helped with the wind and was plenty warm enough with a fleece under it for the cold. I found ours at the REI Outlet.
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Pat in NorCal

Default Re: ALASKA LAND & CRUISE

Buddy,

We are also sailing on the Island Princess. We start in Fairbanks on Aug 23, then to Denali and Anchorage And then on the ship to Vancouver. Thanks for asking the question on clothes, we were trying to figure out the same thing! Maybe we'll see you there!

Pat
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
lancet

Default Re: Re: ALASKA LAND & CRUISE

My wife and I have traveled all over the world, from Alaska to the Carribean to Norway to Central America with carry-on luggage only. The same priniciple applies, no matter where we go. You use the 'layer' system. We take silk shirts and underwear as they are light and I can pack 12 shirts in about 3-4 inches of space (thick). You take a sweater or sweater vest and you take a Jacket. If going to cold areas, take a warmer light wt jacket, and if mod. climate areas, a light rain jacket/wind breaker. You wear what is needed and are always appropriate. I have been warm in Ireland and tip of South America, and cool in the tropics.

No need to take 'stuff' for each part of your journey. Try it!

Lancet