CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Where's The Cold Weather (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/226149-wheres-cold-weather.html)

Kukana August 17th, 2004 12:24 AM

Where's The Cold Weather

We're cruising Diamond Princess on 8/27/04. That's less than two weeks from now and I was anticipating colder weather, with the highs in the mid 50s. Checked the current weather and the temps are reading 74 degrees to mid 60s. Can the weather drop as much as to the mid or lower 50s within a two-week timeperiod?

Was wondering if we should "sans" our goose down jackets. Don't think we'll need them. Anyone out there have any ideas or a crystal ball?

Kukana from New Mexico, via Hawaii!

Sea-soned1 August 19th, 2004 12:12 AM

Re: Where's The Cold Weather

Hi Kukana,
We've cruised in Alaska in May and September, and never took down stuff. We just dressed in layers, which we could remove. Had nice weather both times. Had rain one day on each cruise. An inexpensive poncho might be in order. The only place it was really cold was in Glacier Bay..............we wore ALL of our layers there. We had ski caps and gloves, and wore them on deck that day. A windbreaker and sweatshirt were the most we needed any day in port. Hope you have weather as nice. Have a great cruise. If you take your down jackets, consider one of those space bags to pack them in..........takes up much less space. :)

Kukana August 20th, 2004 07:26 PM

Sea-soned! Thanks for the info. I like the idea of not packing the "geese" downs. Can handle the layers! This is our first cruise in "cold country."

Thanks again!!!!

Kukana

Screenmobile@verizon.net August 20th, 2004 09:00 PM

Aloha Kuhuna, We are also from Hawaii and just got back. My dow jacket is the only way I did wear when it was needed. 1 night.......You really just need to wear normal clothes and have 1 wind breaker jacket and the 1 dow jacket packed. A lot of people wearing jeans made it easy to wear either a t-shirt or a sweater depending on the temperature. We always had good weather with the windbreaker tied around our waist when we went on shore. But keep track of the weather reports and keep the suitcase unzipped just in case.

Kukana August 20th, 2004 10:15 PM

Aloha, Screenmobile@verizon.net!

I am a kimaina wahini raised in the Islands...favorite island is Hawaii, though, I was not raised on that island. I am a tall blonde - don't look Hawaiian but I am. I've been living in New Mexico and LOVE the diversified weather as well as the culture here. Left the islands when I was 18 and saw snow for the first time when I was 18. Now I've gone ape over snowy weather and the northern United States, including Montana, as well as Canada. Hawaii holds my soul, however!!!! I go back home every 2 years or so and hang (usually in Kona or Pearl City) for a couple weeks at a time.

Mahalo for your note!

Kukana

Thanks for writing!