Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default Port or Starboard for Rome to Venice?

Hi,
Just wondered for you seasoned travelers out there who have cruised the Med /Greek Isles - which side of the ship did you prefer for your balcony? The cruise I am contemplating taking is from Rome to Venice, with stops at Naples, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, and ending in Venice. Which side is best for viewing landscapes in the distance, sunsets, ports? Any advice is very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis
Default Re: Port or Starboard for Rome to Venice?

I thought of this too, but then I realized that I'll be on deck most of the time we are on board and in our cabin only when we are sleeping or changing. So I thought it wouldn't really matter. Of course, I think we have an inside cabin so the point is rather moot for me, isn't it?

R

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Robert B

All depends on you. Look at your map and see where the most land views are. Coming into Venice, we had a starboard side room. We had a great view of the city from our balcony and could hear the local historian on the TV pa.....tell about all the buildings as we past them. It was certainly less crowded than being on one of the decks....unless you get there....before the ship come into the Venice area.
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Beginner

I think you need the STARBOARD side of the ship. The reason I say this is because we have just booked this itinerary for the 25th July (the reverse of yours) and I wanted Port cabins to get the best view leaving Venice.

Last year we left from Venice and had starboard staterooms and I felt we were on the wrong side of the ship. Needless to say, it didn't spoil my holiday one little bit... I'd be happy any side at all, just so long as I was on board the ship.

Are you planning to stay in Rome (pre-cruise)? I ask, because I hoping to get some suggestions for a hotel.

Post Edited (08-30-04 12:27)
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.
bb
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:51 PM
michaelL

Default Re: Re: Port or Starboard for Rome to Venice?

That was our reasoning too. 1st time cruisers but the port side seemed logical from veenicee to rome. We are on the 7/25 also and plan 2 nights in rome after probably at the westin excelsior or st. regis grand.

We have kids with us and plan to dine on the balcony a couple of evenings We booked 2 adjoining minisutes so we should have some nice dinner views.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Trixie

We just did this WONDERFUL cruise on Star Princess & you are in for such a treat! Definitely get s STARBOARD side balcony - we were portside & in only a couple ports were we facing land. Any other Q's, just let me know, will be happy to help!