Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Kukana

Default Upgrade According to Interval International

When I booked my cruise 5-1/2 months ago, and because of my good standing (with Interval International - a timeshare organization) and my miraclulous health recovery, they were confident, almost reassuring, that my booked 'mini-suite' would be most likely be upgraded when I board the ship.

However, I've just rec'd my stateroom number and it was not upgraded. Who would be the best person for me to speak with upon my embarking the ship? I set sail on August 28th, in just three days!

Much mahalo,

Kukana
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Upgrade According to Interval International

I don't understand what a timeshare corporation would have to do with upgrading on a cruise.............but whatever, check online and see if there are any available suites, then call your TA and ask to upgrade. You will have to pay for it though. Even if you inquire at the pier and a suite is available, you will have to pay for the upgrade.

If you booked a specific cabin your chances of getting an upgrade are less than if you booked a category guarantee. There are articles on this website about upgrades, etc.

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kukana,
Unfortunately, there is no sure guarantee upgrade, sometimes you get them, others not. Could be the sailing is full and there is no where to upgrade you to. You may call your travel agent and see at this point even if you can and how much it will cost, sometimes its not a lot, good luck.

Here is a good article that explains how upgrades work:

Upgrades

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Passenger

Princess does not sell upgrades at the pier. You can check the Cruise Personalizer to see if you have been a lucky recipient of a visit from the Upgrade Fairy.

There is no point in speaking to anyone on board the ship. In this case, your agent has been less than honest with you. It is common for Princess to reassign passengers booked in guarantees to higher categories, although the cabin type is the same, and call it an "upgrade". Sometimes TA's take credit for this, when in fact it's just a normal part of filling the cabins.

If you blame Princess for this, you will be making a mistake. Take it up with your agent.
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
rae

SURE BLAME THE TRAVEL AGENT..... A GOOD /RELIABLE AGENT WOULD NOT TELL THEIR CLIENT THEY WOULD GUARANTEE AN UPGRADE....MAYBE IT WOULD BE PRUDENT TO GET ALL THE FACTS BEFORE BLAMING ANYONE?????
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Admiral

True, a good reliable agent wouldn't tell their clients that upgrades are guaranteed, but it happens.

Princess does not 'guarantee' upgrades.

Sounds very similar to a case I witnessed this past May on the Royal Princess. We arrived at the pier and checked our luggage with the tags we had received with the tickets. However, when proceeding inside and checking in, we had been upgraded. Later that day, I went to the pursers desk to ensure that our luggage would be moved to the new cabin. There was a couple who were making a 'scene' about not being upgraded and their agent had guaranteed that they would be upgraded. After all, they are Platinum. This same couple were on our tour the next day and I couldn't resist bringing up the issue and let it be known that we had been upgraded (not a regularity for me). She again responded that 'They were Platinum...blah blah' to which shy me responded, well sister, I'm elite (29 Princess cruises at the time) so if anyone should have been upgraded, it should have been me !

If an upgrade was guaranteed, why wouldn't they just sell the cabin at a lower price to begin with?

People should just get over it and book the cabin they are happy with and be done with it. If an upgrade comes along, roll with it and enjoy!
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Kukana

Default Re: Re: Upgrade According to Interval International

Thanks! If an upgrade does not materialize, you're right, I am not going to waste my valuable cruise vacation sweating it out. Appreciate your input.

God bless.

Kukana
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
kwjones

CruiseAholic, you are absolutely right. We too have many, many cruises under our belts, and almost always buy the least expensive cabin available. Sometimes we get upgraded, and sometimes not. If we don't,,,,,well,,,,we got exactly what we paid for. For any TA to "guarantee" an upgrade, is just plain silly!!!!!
See you aboard,
Ken
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Pea

I had a situation similar to CruiseAholic on the Golden in May. We were at the Pursers Desk soon after embarkation due to a toilet problem and there were two people there very angry that they had not gotten upgraded like they were promised by their agent. All I can say is a good agent who was expecting an upgrade that didn't materialize would have called their client BEFORE the cruise...not let their client find out once they board that there would be no upgrade.

Pea
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Admiral

As a former TA let me tell you that unfortunately there are some TA's who will buy a block of cabins at a really, really cheap rate, sell you a lower catagory cabin, but guarantee that you will get upgraded, and then like magic you get a better cabin! WOW amazing isn't it????
Most reputable TA's will tell you that an upgrade is a roll of the dice at best. If you get an upgrade thats great! if you don't then you can't blame the TA. You increase your chances of an upgrade if you book a cabin catagory guarantee.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM
JaneMarlow

Upgrades are a roll of the dice. I used to be in control of them at a resort. Repeat client, honeymoon, availability, was the client nice or a pain in the ass? This would depend on his/her upgrade or not.

We will be on a honeymoon cruise on Princess. If I had to have an upgrade, I would just pay for it. I am hoping, but not counting on it. I let them know it was a honeymoon so maybe we won't get the ~worst~ cabin in the catagory that we paid for at least.

My TA was confident it would happen, but I am not counting on it.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Lesson learned is to NEVER book a cabin in a lower cat than you want. Upgrades are never gty and they don;t really care who you are. <G> Your TA was being dishonest with you if he told you that you wold get an upgrade. Enjoy your cabin and make the best of it.
Jim

Old August 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
David S

The best way to try for an upgrade is to book a guarentee. JUST NEVER EXPECT THE UPGRADE. Pick a category guarentee you would be happy with just in case you do not get the upgrade. It is almost unlikely, not always, that you will go from an inside/outside to a balcony. Possible, but rather unlikely. Best way would be to book the highest inside/outside guarentee, which is usually more expensive then just booking where you want to be in the first place