Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default Grand Princess December?

We're thinking about the partial Panama Canal cruise on December 28. Do you think there be a lot of children on this cruise since school is out? Or will the length of the cruise (11 days) keep the number down?
Don't dislike children, just don't want to be overrun!
Also, does anyone know if this cruise will be available in early 2005?
Thanks for any info.

Fern
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:36 AM
Ahracer

Default Re: Grand Princess December?

There will most likely be a lot of kids since it is the holidays. Since it is 11 days it will probably not be as bad as a 7 day but you are still going to have kids.

I think that is only a holiday sailing so I doubt it will be available in early 2005.
You might want to consider a 10 day on the Coral....which is a nicer ship and actually goes through the locks. The Grand does not go into the canal since it is too big to fit.

Scott
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:39 AM
Ahracer

Just read your post again and saw you called it a partial transit. Just want to make sure that you understand the Grand does not do any transit of the canal because it is too large to fit through the locks. The Grand stops in Colon where you can take various shore excurisions to see the canal.

Scott
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:55 AM
Passenger

I don't think there will be near the numbers of children on this cruise as there would be on the Christmas cruise. In many respects it's a great itinerary - sort of a Grand Tour of the Western Caribbean, with a nice mix of sea days thrown in. Just be aware that any Canal viewing will have to be done off the ship.
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Thanks so much for your input. I don't like to fly, so thought this would be the best way to see the Canal. I've read elsewhere on these boards that after the initial excitement of the begining of the transit the rest is not very interesting and most people get off the ship and do a shore tour anyway. Anyone else considering this cruise? I'm going to talk to my TA in the next few days. Hope its not already full! I'm thinking of booking on Caribe Deck. (Maybe C510 or nearby). I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions since this will be our first Princess cruise. We like the port side so will probably book a specific cabin instead of a guarantee.

Thanks!
Fern

Carnival Inspiration, February 2002
Carnival Elation, March 2004