Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Yeoman

Default disembark early?

Is it possible to disembark at a port call rather than the final port? We would like to do the Canada/New England cruise, but we don't want to embark or debark from New York. The Regal has a 13 day cruise from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale, but DH absolutely refuses to go for that long. We could go Montreal to Boston on HAL, but we really love Princess and PC Dining. Would it be possible to debark in Boston or Baltimore?

(Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get DH to try a longer cruise? He says he enjoys it for a week, but then he's ready to go home.)

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
JaneMarlow

Default Re: disembark early?

Maybe you can check with cruise line policy, but I thought it was illegal to hop off early. An older lady did that on an Alaskan cruise...she hopped off on a port and flew home. She failed to tell anyone about it though.

The cruiseline did a sea search for her, as it thought she dropped overboard or something. I digress, anyway, you can always ask the lines what its policies are for early departure.
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
howdy

I would be surprised if they let you disembark early - just because of the terrorism - They could get off early before - something happens. That will be the biggest reason they probably wont let you do it - even if they know about it.
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Lancet

Many years ago, congress passed the Brown (or Jones-I am not sure which name) Act to protect the American Maritime industry. This act said that ships could not deliver cargo from one american port to another without an american crew. Passengers are considered cargo. That is why many hawaii to U.S, cruises end in Ensanada; or any cruise originating from a US port, would end in a foreign port, and visa-versa. Also, deliver passengers to different american ports falls under the same rule--Hence not allowing you to disembark at a different port than the origin/destination schedule.

Having said that, I have noticed a few itineries that starts and ends at different US ports. Maybe they changed that Act??
Or maybe a mistake in the itinery listing. If not, then the above Act explains why you cant, LInda.

Lancet
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Lancet

Clarification:

A ship can originate and terminate in the same american port, But cannot originate in one american port and discharge cargo in another american port without an American crew.

Wanted to be sure that there was no confusion, as many cruise roundtrip using an American port.

Lancet