Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:01 PM
MACH

Default Soda Card Question

We sailed on a RCCL ship last year and we purchased the soda cards. Each time we used the card, we simply showed it to the bartender or waiter. They didn't actually do anything with the card except look at it to ensure it had the soda sticker attached. My question pertains to the Princess policy on these cards. On other boards I see people talking about a gratuity for each drink for the bartender. One poster said that his bill at cruise end included a 15% gratuity for each soda he got at the ship's bars. Is that true? Does Princess attach a set gratuity with each soda you request? Just wondering what to expect on my first Princess cruise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Nonie

Default Re: Soda Card Question

Yes, it's true. Princess (and Norwegian) post a 15% gratuity to each soda you purchase, unless you purchase a soda card.
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

So if you purchase a soda card you have to leave your own gratuity if you so choose?

I never thought about it, I knew they charge you a gratuity when you use your sail and sign card and purchased a soda but never matched it to a soda card.
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Passenger

if you get the card for $20 ($22.50 for the sticker & cup), then you don't have to tip the bar tender or wait staff, etc. i suppose you can tip them. but each soda normally cost $1-2 (i don't remember which), and to make the card worth it, you would probably get in excess of 15-20 sodas for the duration of the cruise. that'd make tipping a hassel.

if you just order a soda on a drink by drink case, then yes you do have the 15% gratuity added on the charge.
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Admiral

On Princess its a sticker that they attach to your sign and sail card. When you order a soda just show the waiter/waitress your card, you don't sign for anything and their is no gratuity attached. If you find a bar server/bar tender that you really like who gave you exceptional service of course you can tip them at the end of the cruise.