Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Christina M

Default Checking liquor on airplane

HI everyone,

Does anyone know the airplane policy on putting bottles of liquor in checked luggage? Would we be better off buying in FT.Lauderdale before checking luggage at port? If so, how are the prices in FT. Lauderdale and any reccomendations on stores? We also plan on bring a couple of bottles of champagne (as it will be our honeymoon) and small box of wine (3L). Do they allow you to bring boxes of wine onboard? Is 2 bottles of champagne and a 3L box of wine too much for each person to carryon for a 10 day cruise? We aren't big drinkers (can't you tell!!!!), but we like to have a variety. Any help much appreciated.
Christina
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Checking liquor on airplane

If you pack bottles in checked baggage (taking proper precautions, of course) it is almost a guarantee that you bags will be opened and inspected at some point. From personal experience, that can mean that you arrive at your destination, and your bags do not. We had packed bottles in two of our bags, and those took an extra day to get home, while the "dry" bags traveled with us. Just something to consider.

Old September 29th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've never had a problem with a bottle or two of alcohol in my checked luggage (wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed inside large zip-lock bags.)

My luggage has always arrived on time.

I would carry on the two bottles of champagne in a carryon bag, and check the box wine in your checked luggage - just what I would do.

Old September 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM
First Mate

True, it might be more of a problem on the return trip. The inspectors are always on the lookout for overproof rum, that cannot be carried on an aircraft at all. It seems every time I have a bottle of something packed in a bag, it gets searched. I get a creepy feeling knowing that someone has been rummaging through my stuff.

Old September 29th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Princess allows you to bring aboard a reasonable amount of wine or champagne for your personal consumption. The boxes for wine/champagne are the best and easiest way to bring it on board. The amount you are planning on bringing is just fine.
Buy your wine/champagne at the grocery store in Ft.Lauderdale, the prices are comparable to what you would pay for it at home. The grocery stores are on 17th Street. Its a Publix Market.
As for anyother type of liquor - you can purchase it on board from your room service menu for less than what you would pay for it at home. So easy, so convenient.
If you are planning on drinking your wine with dinner be prepared to pay a corkage fee per bottle.