Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galvestion.

Hi all,

Found a great deal on a Princess cruise out of Galveston in Jan. It is our first cruise and I would like it to be a good one. In fact I wanted to go on my birthday which is in April but I would have to pay $500 more for the exact same cruise.

Just how cold can it be? and I'm sure that as you go South it warms up...just how long does that take?

Is it worth it to wait until April?

Also, the itenerary uncludes the following ports of call:
Belize City, Belize
Majahual, Mexico
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Cozumel, Mexico

Which ones were affected by the hurricanes (if any)? And if so, are they open yet or do you think that late Jan is enough time to wait for reopening of any damaged ports?
(Bless all those who endured the terrible storms. I am sure they are working very hard to get things back to normal.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barb

Post Edited (10-20-04 05:48)
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Nanette

Default Re: Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galvestion.

Hi Barb-

Just a quick "hello", because I won't be on line long.

My husband and I are booked for the Grand Princess for the 1/29 sailing out of Galveston.

Have been to all of the ports, and simply ADORE THEM!

When's your cruise?
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:31 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galvestion.

Nanette,

I'm hoping to take the Grand Princess on 1/29 or 4/9. I would pefer to wait until April, but they are offering a heck of a deal on the cruise in Jan.

My only concern is the weather in January. I live in Houston and know that in Jan it can be quite cold. I would hate to spend too long on a tropical cruise in the cold.

As far as ports go. I have been to Coz before (non cruise), and have dreamed of Belize since "Temptation Island" aired on tv several years ago. The remaing ports sound wonderful. Maybe we should book both!!!!!!!

Barb
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Texas Cruiser

We are sailing 11/13/04 and got our documents yesterday (10/20/04). All of the scheduled islands will be stopped at with no listed interuption of service. The air while sailing in Jan. could be quite cold, but your island stops should be sunning and in the warm 80's. It really just depends on the moisture in the air.
(We sailed last Thanksgiving out of Galveston to the weather described above.)
The Grand Princess is a nice choice for a first cruise, so you really can't go wrong when ever you choose to book. Enjoy!
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:25 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Texas Cruiser.

I appreciate the info. Cold or warm it beats the heck out of workin!!!

Hope you have a great cruise in Nov.

I can't believe that it is almost November and the year is almost over...sigh... Oh well, that much closer to my 2005 cruise (hopefully)

Barb
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Lonnie Baird

January is a great time to go. Should not be cold at all. I go every january, if fact I am booked on the Grand for 1/29. The weather in January is not as rainy and temps should be in the 80s. April is spring break time so prices are alway up in april. I think you'll love January sailing
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Passenger

Hi, Barb.

We sailed on the Celebration out of Galveston in 2004. Our cruise was in February, but close enough to January for comparison.

We boarded the ship and it was about 50 degrees, gray and WINDY. People up on deck had their hoods up, hands in pockets, etc and were actually leaning into the wind in some locations (watching the cruise video now, it was kind of funny). From the time we left pierside through the first day at sea, the exterior decks were closed due to the wind (except the pool area which is protected) and the pool was empty due to the seas. The sun was out on the first day at sea and it was warmer, but we still had the wind. By dinner the wind had calmed down and everything was text book from there on.

Talking to the crew, they indicated that was very unusual.

Of course the Celebration is a MUCH smaller ship and handles seas and wind differently than the Grand Princess.

Once we got farther south, the weather was beautiful and just as you would expect on a Caribbean cruise. Cozumel and Calica were just the same weather we've always experienced. Cloudless blue skies, nice and warm, and I still managed to get sunburned.

The trip back to Galveston was fine, no wind, pleasant roll on the water and not particualry cold. It was still rather gray in Galveston, though.

I wouldn't shy away from a Galveston cruise again, even in January/February. In fact, I almost prefer it for ease of getting to the port. You just have to expect the weather leaving and returning to port is going to be different than the destination weather. Living in Houston, you know the local weather and you just have to plan for that boarding day to be "non-Caribbean" weather. We loved our cruise, the boarding day weather didn't "ruin" anything for us, and it was just another experience we hadn't had before.

Whichever you decide on, enjoy your cruise. The Grand is a great ship. We sailed her on our honeymoon.
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:34 PM
JerryL

I just booked my girlfriend and myself on the 1/29 cruise as well! This will be the first time for both of us. Right after I booked it on Expedia, I noticed that all the regular cabins are gone save for those on the Plaza Deck. Whew!

Are there any shore excursions that folks recommend in particular? I poked around on the Princess site but there are just so many it's hard to figure out what are the more worthwhile ones...

Jerry