Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Mary R.

Default Carnival vs. Princess

We would appreciate any input anyone can offer. My husband and I are in our late 40's and planning a cruise. We are torn between Carnival Triumph or Glory or
Caribbean Princess or Star Princess. We would like to hear comments either way. We have been on Carnival 5 yrs. ago and enjoyed it. Last year we were on RCI and loved it. We like a lot of entertainment and a lot of action. We don't drink, so the party atmosphere isn't necessary, but we do like to stay busy. We enjoy the pool areas, too so are interested in that. Please help us make the choice! Thanks,
Mary R.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival vs. Princess

Its really hard to compare these two lines, it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Princess is casual-elegant but not stuffy, like a really nice resort hotel. I found the service to be better on Princess, the staff just seemed more attentive. Since you have sailed on Carnival before, why not give Princess a shot.?
The pools on Princess are freshwater not salt and are open 24hrs , as are the hot tubs
Princess offers "Anytime Dining" - works like a regular restaurant at home, you call to make reservations at the time you want to eat. Princess had traditional dining also.
The Grand Class ships are huge, but they are not overwhelming, they are laid-out so that they have a "smaller ship" feeling about them.
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:15 AM
pg

What Lisa said, ditto. I would try the Star myself. Caribbean Princess seems like it still has a few bugs to work out, but maybe they would be a good choice for you. The pool areas on Princess are very nice, padded lounge chiars , freshwater , and great pizza right on hand, what's not to like!
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Karen Smith

My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and have been on Carnival Sensation 2 years agp and Caribbean Princess last month. We felt Carnival was more neon/Vegas style but certainly a fun-ship. We felt CP was was bit more elegant/classy without being stuffy. The personal choice dining was great because you ate when you wanted rather than rushing to get to a certain seating. The pools were nice and clean and the ones at the back were child free so you could float around without getting saoked from kids messing around (sorry...I sound I right grumpy old misery!). Movies under the stars was also a great idea. You could watch a movie whilst sitting in the hot tub. The movies ran all day so you could actually watch them whilst sunbathing too which was different. The food was excellent and the luncthime/night time buffets were just that bit better than previous cruise ships including RCI. We would recommend Carbbean Princess....we're booked on Diamond Princess in March 2005, so we were happy.

Happy Cruising, whatever you decide.

Karen .
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:06 PM
NJGregg

Easy choice....Princess. You said that entertainment choices and the pool were 2 area that were important to you. Princess's pools are open 24 hours, unlike Carnival's, and they are frshwater, unlike sea water on Carnival. There are also more evening entertainment choices on Princess, so it seems like your only choice is between the Caribbean Princess and the Star Princess.
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Sandy Miller

I am having the same dilemna. We are previous Princess cruisers and love the fact the pools are open 24hrs (3 kids). We are ready to book either Triumph or Caribbean Princess. We love Princess but are finding it repetitive. The jokes were the same over the PA and at the staff show, the menu's were the same, and a lack of activities including a not so great teen program have us considering another cruise line. We cruise once a year. Is the Caribbean Princess any different from the Grand, Sun or Sea Princess?

Would kids 16, 14 and 12 have more fun in the programs on Carnival?

Help!!!

Thanks!

Sandy
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Mary R.

Thank you all for all of your help. We are still a little torn on which way to go. I do love the idea of the 24 hour pools and freshwater! The pools look beautiful on Princess. I was not very impressed with the Carnival pools, very small and dingy looking. We are leaning towards Princess, but as we read many reviews at different websites, it seems as if the Triumph gets much better reviews. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Good luck on your decision Sandy. I can't help you with the Princess ships because I have never been on one. We wondered if it would seem repetitive to take the same cruise twice, two years in a row!

Mary R.