Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:58 AM
P

Default sea-sick?

I have not ever been on a cruise before and I am going on the Island Princess Dec 5th for my honeymoon (15 days). I'm just wondering if I need to go to the doctor and get a dramimine patch prescription.
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Marian

Default Re: sea-sick?

It's always possible that you will be sea sick, so I would be prepared. We just returned from a cruise and we used Bonine. It is taken once a day and we didn't experience any dramatic side effects. I found it to be much better than Dramamine, which can cause drowsiness. I have also used the patch before and that also worked well. The key is to use either method pills or patch, before actually experiencing sea sickness. It's then to hard to feel better.
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Do you get severe motion sickness when you ride in a car, fly on a plane, i don't mean the little queezie, i mean sick, sick. If so then by all means go to your doctor and get the Transderm patch. If you get a little bit queezy when your ride or fly then get the Bonine, i think it works better than the Dramamine. Take it at home to see how you will react to it. If you just get that "woozy" feeling (that's me) then try the ginger remedy. You will see me on deck with a glass of ginger ale in my hands when we first set sail and maybe for a day after that until my body adjusts. Ginger cookies work great, there are also ginger pills.
The ships have wonderful stabalizers and chances are that nothing would happen, but its always a good idea to have a back-up plan. For example our dear friends sailed with us for the first time this past February, my girlfriend is not a good passenger for the above reasons, she had her Bonine handy and only took it a couple of time when she felt that queezy feeling coming on, that's the key- take the preventative measures whichever you choose at the First Sign of the queezies, don't let it progress.
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: sea-sick?

Yes...please take some sort of medication with you, whether Bonnine, Dramamine or the prescription patch. We experienced a lot of movement last week on the Caribbean Princess (Eastern Caribbean) and went through two boxes of bonnine, which made us sleepy. I did take my Mom to the medical facility for a shot on Wednesday. The seas were calm, however, I can't say the same for the ship!
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Becky7467

i've been on 8 cruises and i've never gotten sick. my mom, who gets sick easily, swears that if you eat an apple in the middle of the ship, you feel better. she learned this from one of the ship's staff. she claims it works everytime and doesn't cause sleepiness
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Yeoman

If you get any kind of medication, try it at home first. Most people apparently don't react to Bonine (Meclizine), but DH did. I have read that the ship will supply you with Bonine or Dramamine free of charge.

Carnival Inspiration
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM
happy sailing

All four cruises I've been on have been very rocky even with today's "state of the art" stabilizers. I would have been sick as a dog if I hadn't been using the Transderm patch behind my ear. You should be able to just call your family Dr. and have them call in a prescription without even an appt. The patch does make me sleepy though and I tend to get a headache. (It doesn't do this to my husband, just myself). I will be cruising in a couple of weeks and plan on trying the non-drowsy Bonine instead of the patch this time and see how that works. I will have the patch for back-up though.
The above posters are right. Start taking the meds before even getting on the ship. It's your vacation and you don't want to spend it feeling yucky! Our cruise is port intensive (four stops in 6 days), so the sickness shouldn't be so bad for me. Once you gt off the ship in a port, you will stop feeling any sickness after about 30 minutes. Have a great cruise!