Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default Inside vs. balcony rooms

Our trip is planned with a TA and we have an inside room booked, but I'm considering switching to a oceanview room w/ balcony. Maybe someone can explain this to me. Just checking around on Expedia, they show an inside room on the Caribe deck, catagory J as being $2,598. And a room with a balcony on the same deck, catagory BB as being $2,208. How can the inside room cost $400 more? Or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Inside vs. balcony rooms

You've just run into one of the "oddities" that happen. The cruise lines use yield management software to adjust their pricing.
If it just happens that a particular category is selling at a high pace, the program raises the price on that category. If a category is selling poorly, the price gets lowered. (That's the simple explanation, though there are other factors).

One of the drawbacks of having the computer run the show <G>

We sailed on one ship, where balcony cabins were going for $1000, and insides for $1300 right up to day of sailing.

I'm sure there were some people booked at the higher price in inside cabins simply because when they called their agents, they specifically asked for inside cabins, and that's all the agent priced for them..... without even looking at balcony prices.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Inside vs. balcony rooms

Our TA says that the outside rooms with balconys are running about $700 extra for 2 people. I sure would like to have one since this is our first voyage, but not at $700. I'll probably need that for the bar bill.
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Admiral

i am a huge fan of balconies and don't mind paying the extra for them. Its so nice to have that extra space. We love just sitting out there in the fresh air in the early morning in the jammies with the daily paper and a cup of cofffe watching the sunrise or watching the ship come into port or leaving port. If you like a nice quiet private space to just relax whenever you feel like it, then a balcony is the way to go.
Anothe option if the cost is too much for a balcony is to book an oceanview stateroom. You will have a nice large window with a view and sunlight.
The main drawback of an inside cabin for me is not knowing if its day or night and not having any natural light in the room.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Yeoman

My Mom used the same old cue card about how little time she spent in the room so why get a balcony....until I got her one! Amazing how much leisure time she spent out there and she couldn't believe how much larger it made the room feel.
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Yeoman

I always watch the prices for the last three months before sail date, weird things do happen and you should contact your ta and have her get you the cheaper balcony room, but act quickly when you see stuff like that, those deals are fast moving.
a balcony is really a treat, once you've had one you never want to go back!
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
AR

Robbie's point is really important.

The old "I get an inside cabin because I don't spend time in the room" mantra boils down to a classic self-fulfilling prophecy.

Once you have a balcony you realize that your room has just become one of the best places on the ship, not just a place to sleep. Very few people who cruise with a balcony ever willingly go back to inside rooms. They're absolutely addictive.
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
First Mate

SOOOOOOOOO true AR. Once you go balcony, you never go back.
Happy sails,
Sea Angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Passenger

my 1st cruise was on Golden Princess - mini-suite on Dolphin deck (upgraded)
2nd cruise was on CP - oceanview w/ balcony on Carib deck (better than Dolphin)

i doubt i'd ever volunteer to stay in an inside stateroom, nor would i be able to convince my girlfriend to do likewise. When we talk about future cruises, we'd ask "How much is the balcony?" rather than "Inside cabin is only $xxx"

there's nothing like waking up in the morning and watch the sunrise on your own balcony (depending whether you're headed north or south). the same's for looking at a full moon without any lights - makes you feel like it's just you out on the ocean by yourself.

i think i would rather have room service on the balcony than in an inside cabin. even if we didn't use the balcony as much as we should have, the time we did enjoy the balcony was worth the extra money we paid for.
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cruisingpeople

Check your E-mail. Sent some info you might like to have.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Passenger

I've had minisuites with balconies and I've had inside rooms. Sure balconies are nice. Really nice. But since I discovered that I can cruise 3 times as often for the same amount of money in an inside room, I've decided the balcony is less important. We all have different priorities as to how we choose to spend our money.
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Ferret

We like to book inside

When we went to Alaska last September, we got a balcony, but it was so cold that we rarely went out there. The scenery WAS nice, but we found that we spent more time looking at it behind a window in one of the lounges. This was the second time I had a balcony.

I will admit it's nicer and it makes the room feel infinitely large, but sometimes it can be several hundred dollars more, and you just have to figure out how that money is better spent.

I actually LIKE the constant darkness too. It's perfect for sleeping in.
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
venice

I use to be of the school of thought "inside is fine because you spend very little time in the cabin and could take the extra $$$$ and do other things.".just recently returned from the Zuiderdam where we were upgraded to a veranda with a balcony (from a GTY outisde stateroom) and the experience was so worthwhile, I would spend the $$$ to book a balcony in the future

My suggestion, if you think you are going to do alot of cruising in the future..narrow it down to one cruiseline and build up loyalty credit with the line which will help you receive an upgrade due to repeat business or a better advance rate on a balcony

With an inside you find that you spend more time in the public rooms with a balcony, you spend more time in your cabin...I would suspect on the mega size ships with lots of people on the lido deck or in public rooms, you might opt for a balcony to get a relief from the crowds

of course, after you tried the balcony, then you have to try a suite (smile)
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all of the advice. We're really going to have to give the balconys some thought. Since this is our first cruise, I want to do it up right.

Thanks again.
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM
barjolov

I have decided that being upgraded to a balcony was one of the smartest things the ship did. I purchased a inside cabin and was upgraded to a balcony several years ago and now I can not live without it. You just get so spoiled. My husband says "hope we never get upgraded to the Owners Penthouse suite or whatever". haha.

I agree with most everyone - once you have a balcony, you really enjoy it and would never go back to the inside.
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too have had a balcony and never want an inside room. I like just sitting there on the balcony watching the sea go by.
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Passenger

OK, that does it, a little extra overtime the next 5 months should cover it.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Balcony fans rejoice, we got kahrens hooked on a balcony, Yippee!!!
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:47 PM
dands

We also have sailed in an inside cabin (never again), then up to an outside cabin so we can see what the weather is like for the day. Then we booked a balcony and that made the cuise so much more enjoyable and relaxing. We are cruising on Dec. 4th to Mexico on the Diamond Princess and have been upgraded to a Premium Suite, about 700 sq ft, with a balcony 50ft long that wraps around the front of the ship to the side. Just booked a cruise round trip from Los Angeles to Hawaii and defintely booked a mini suite with a balcony. Maybe another miracle will happen and we will be upgraded to a suite. You will certainly enjoy your cruise more with a balcony. Our 17th Princess cruise, 25 overall. Enjoy your cruise.
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Ernie

After 18 Princess cruises, I went from an inside cabin down low to a mini suite on my last Cruise on the Sapphire. I could never go back into a "closet" again. I booked a mini suite on back to back Baltic and trans Atlantic cruises on the Star next September. I am spoiled rotten and I LOVE it!!!