Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ship's SECRET cabins

With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.

Most ships have a few "secret cabins" which are different than other cabins within the same category. They could be different because of larger balconies, or large cabin because of the layout, etc.

Some examples might be the "hump cabins" on RCI Radiance Class, or the FVs on Celebrity, the aft cabins on many ships.

If you've ever stayed in one of these secret cabins I'd appreciate you posting the ship, cabin #, and ammenities that you felt gave it that something extra.

Also would like to hear about the awful secret cabins. Those that are noisy because of a bar or disco around it, etc.

Again.. please be specific, with ship, cabin #, and reason to avoid.

Thanks in advance with the help for this article. Hope I can get enough input to make it work.

Post Edited (11-11-04 09:04)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:03 AM
LK

Default Re: Ship's

I'm afraid to say lest I should never be able to get that cabin again once the word's out! :-)
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Ship's

On the Grand-class ships - there are aft-facing balcony cabins in the BB category, placed among the VS and PS suites. These cabins have large, fully covered balconies with exceptional privacy. Some of the cabins in this group have the largest balconies in the balcony cabin category, even larger than the balcony cabins on Caribe Deck. Others aren't quite as large.

Old November 11th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Ship's SECRET cabins

We were on the Dawn and stayed in 11562 which would be a room to avoid. There was some kind of noise all night like metal being hit. I was on the same ship 5 months later and mover down the hall about 10 rooms and it was fine. You also want to avoid rooms that when you look at them on the deck plans are over or under blank areas. Sometimes these blank areas are air conditioning units or other machinery that make noise. Always look for rooms above and below you.
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Delores

Vision of the Seas, 2116 (aft) on Alaska cruise. We had terrible noise in the night; even had security come down & look around. Not sure if it was from the stabilizers or what, but it wasn't pleasant. Others in our area also complained. I would avoid that area.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM
dands

On the Eportiki Pegasus we had the inside cabin that was actually a closet. We had one chair with bunk beds. All of our purchases ended up on the chair, so no chair. Misplaced our key once, so the room steward had to let us in every night We survived, and the ship finally sunk. Ironcally on our next cruise we are sailing in a suite. We had some bad storm experciences on some cruises but that was not the cabin. Did have a problem with air conditioning on a cruise to South East Asia on the Sea Princess and had a shouting bout with the Purser about switching cabins, which we did. Ended up dining with Purser at his table every night during the cruise. Godd luck with your research.
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:02 AM
TWS

Kuki
Best value cabins on Queen Mary 2, esp. on a North Atlantic crossing where weather dicey, are the outsides fore and aft of balony cabins (known informally as hull holes) below boat deck. One gets the space in the room that is otherwise allocated to balcony in neighboring cabins. We had a forward one last May and loved it.
TWS
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Peggy Donahue

Cabin to avoid:

Royal Caribbean-Serenade of the Seas-Cabin 1582.

Booked a D1 but was upgraded to a JS. Almost didn't accept it. But the lady at check-in said we were "nuts" not to. Should have trusted my instincts (and the lengthy research I did before booking my cabin). Cabin 1582 is underneath the Windjammer Cafe, and this cafe has all island stations. The crew needs to bring the food to each island on carts to restock it. There are 7 islands. To make matters worse, RC put 6x6 tile floors down. ALL those carts going bump, bump, bump over the tile floor makes for a hell of a racket.

Plus we had the added bonus of a dishwasher station directly over our cabin. So if the carts didn't make enough noise, the dishwasher and running water did!

Up early...and NO (decent) naps!! : (

That all said....the JS was a wonderful sized room.
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM
LSP

that is a great question, i am trying to find someone that has stayed in cabin R515, R507,R508 because i have one booked and am having second thoughts because these cabins while are bigger than the others, are below the calypso pool and there are empty areas next to them and dont know what is in this areas.
i hope someone repliyng to your post could give me some insight.
thanks
lsp
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM
marcy

Default Re: Re: Ship's

hi I was wondering if the c753 aft cabin was one with a larger balcony.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Roy W.

Default Re: Re: Re: Ship's

Kuki, I see this thread is no where close to what you wanted, is it.....Roy
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Laurie Qualls

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ship's

We have cabin B528 on the diamond on April 2....does anyone know how that cabin is for location, as far as noise...and other possible problems?It is a balcony cabin that sleeps up to 4 and there are 3 of us..thanks
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Familiar Face

Can't remember the cabin number, it was on the Norwiegen Majesty . Our cabin was next door to a galley on one of the lower decks. About 1:00 am each morning the crew would start the dish/pot washing routine and wake both of us up.

Sooooo - if you get a cabin next to a door that isn't another cabin you best check it out ASAP
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:13 PM
R. Chapman

The Caribe Deck Balconys are larger on the Grand Class ships, and are great.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Charliesmom

Sun Class mini-suites on Princess have two separate rooms - a sitting room and a bedroom, as well as a walk-in closet, a stall shower and a tub. These are great for folks who have different sleeping times - one can be up reading while the other is sleeping.

Roberta
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Mike Cole

On all of the Grand class ships there are 2 family suites on either side of the dolphin deck at the front of the ship. The rooms are actually quite nice, with lots of room for up to 6 people. The problem is the balcony. It is pretty good sized but it has no shield at the front to deflect wind. When the ship is underway the balcony is unusable. And at night the deck furniture can move around a lot unless you bring it into the suite. Makes a lot of racket banging around!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Jean S

We just got our cabin number for our Alaska cruise. We are on the Coral in a mini suite. We are on the Caribe deck in cabin C728. It is all the way aft. We have sailed a couple of times on Grand class ships and always had a mini suite mid ship. Has anyone stayed in this cabin or near it? Thanks for any help.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
MelissaDBA

Default Re: Re: Ship's

you sound knowledgeable! any thoughts on this post i am waiting for an answer to? tytyty!!!
__________________________________________________ _________
We have the opportunity to upgrade our cabin on The Caribbean Princess...

We can choose between two available cabins...
#748 on CARIBE Deck (The "Nevis")
#106 on LIDO Deck

Both of these are classified as "Premium" suites according to the Cust Svc rep at the 1-800 number...on the website they are classified as "Suite with Balcony"...The two cabins look very different according to the deck plan diagrams as far as the shape/size of the cabins and the makeup and location of the Caribe vs Lido decks...

This cabin will need to accomodate my husband and I and our 8 yr old...our two other teenage children are in their own cabin...We have cruised two other times, staying in a mini-suite, but have never had the children in the same cabin with us...

For some reason this seems like a MONUMENTAL decision...Can someone please look at the deck plans and give us some ADVICE?

Thanks so much from Texas!!!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
Anna11

HAL Zuiderdam room 8046...Avoid all cabins midship on Navigation deck as the pool is directly above and you have to listen to chairs/tables being dragged around constantly. It can get loud and annoying.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Expat_Canuck

I recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess and had an AA category mini-suite on the Dolphin deck (D525), midship. I was actually upgraded from an AD category mini-suite from one deck lower.

The majority of the outside staterooms on the Dolphin deck are mini-suites with balconies, but the drawback of the balconies on this deck is that they are not covered. If the weather is rainy, forget about sitting on the balcony. Balconies on higher decks are partially or fully covered.

Also, there is little privacy on the Dolphin deck balconies, as the ship is designed in such a way that passengers with balcony staterooms on higher decks can look down and see you.

Another caution about the Dolphin deck: it is directly above the deck where the tender boats (lifeboats) are attached. I was rudely awakened very early in the morning of the day the ship anchored off Princess Cays, by the sound of the tender boat winch lowering the boats.

Given these minor drawbacks, however, the mini-suite category was great as it had a bathtub instead of a shower. (One of the ship comedians was making jokes about the small showers and I had no idea what he was talking about!)

Jeff
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can anyone ell me the difference between the minisuite on the Dolphin Deck versus the minisuite on the Caribe Deck. I would like a larger balcony but would like one that is either fully or partially covered. The people at Princess tell me that all balconies on Dolphin Deck and Caribe deck are partially covered. I get conflicting statements from Princess. We are going on the IslAND Princess and this will be our first cruise ever! Also is the food the same with personal choice as opposed to traditional dining?

Thanks a bunch. We are going on the September 20th Vancouver to LA cruise on the Island Princess.

Arlene
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Jean S

Just returned from our cruise on Coral Princess in mini suite C728. This cabin is all the way aft on Caribe deck. At first I was a little upset because it has no overhead covering at all as it is the last balcony on that level. What I really liked about this cabin was its proximity to the very quiet, almost private outside aft deck on Caribe deck. There is no sign on the door to this outer deck but there are lounge chairs out here and very very few people. It was like having our own private deck to view the Alaska scenery. We would view scenery from our balcony and then leave our room and go to this lovely aft deck to get a different view. My photos from this viewpoint are phenomenal.