Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Default Waitlisted??

About a week ago we booked the 15 January sailing of the Diamond Princess to Mexico. We booked an inside. Neither of us minds an inside and the wife was being frugal on this trip.

Well, it's our anniversary, so I called Princess to upgrade the cabin to a balcony as a surprise for my wife. We loved the balcony on the Grand during our honeymoon. She doesn't bother with the pre-cruise paperwork, deck plans, etc. so it would be a very easy surprise and she wouldn't know until we got to the cabin.

Any way...
All the balconies are waitlisted. Princess put me on the waitlist and said we're #5.

I understand how the waitlist works, the question I have for any of you have been waitlisted, is how likely is it to happen? And when it happens, is the cost of upgrade then at a premium or is it comparable to the regular sale price difference in cabin classes?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Waitlisted??

Not sure about the price, but I think that this far out at #5 you have a pretty good chance at getting an upgrade to the balcony. There are always some cancellations. Keep an eye on the Cruise Personalizer at the Princess website.

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Ernie

Your chance for an up grade is probably good. The cost will be the same as if you booked it to begin with, usually. They will sell your booked inside cabin in a flash. There will have to be upgrades ahead of you or cancellations at the last minute in order for you to get that upgrade. It is best to call your travel agent and let them handle it for you. Travel Agents, like mine, have a certain amount of pull with Princess if they book on Princess Cruises a lot like mine does. If you did not use a travel agent, well then, lots of luck!
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Beginner

Hi,

My husband and I are also on the Diamond Princess on Jan. 15th to the Mex. Riv.

We are waitlisted for Traditional Dining (#290). This is our first cruise and we really wanted to be seated at a large table with 6-8 people each night. Hope we won't be disappointed in the PC Dining venue. Sitting at a table for two sounds awfully boring - not that we don't appreciate each other's company but we were looking forward to the cameraridie of new friends.

Hope you get your balcony cabin.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

azpaula - you can always ask to be seated at a large table with PC dining.

Old November 19th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Passenger

While I was on the phone trying to upgrade cabin, I also tried to switch to traditional dining. She told me the length for the dining waitlist and I didn't even bother. We had PC on the Grand and traditional on the Celebration. My wife preferred the traditional for the same reasons you mentioned and we were disappointed when they gave us PC on Diamond because traditional was full.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Passenger

Just an update for reference to anyone reading this in the future.

We were waitlisted and #5 on the list. I called and went on the list Thursday morning and by mid-day Friday Princess called to tell me a balcony became available. So that was extremely fast. The waitlist process worked well and they gave us three days after the call to make a decision.

We certainly didn't pay brochure rate for the balcony cabin, but it wasn't the typical discount rate they send to Captain's Circle members either. She offered to keep us on the list for a complimentary upgrade if a mini-suite/suite becomes available.

We went from class L, interior bottom deck, to class BA, balcony top deck (and paid for it). I was a little leary of paying for that much upgrade, but this is a cabin on the Lido, just walk down the short hallway and out the doors to the pools, Horizon buffet, etc. I had to splurge a little. It will be a neat surprise for the wife and I think the convenience will be great.

Post Edited (11-22-04 07:02)
Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow - what a wonderful husband! Hope you have a great Anniversary cruise.

Old November 24th, 2004, 01:27 PM
pg

Lido balcony is nice, we had one and it was very convinient!
Don't worry about PC dining, we sat with big tables everynight except one( our choice to sit at a table for two one night) and we really enjoyed meeting different people all the time, lots of people to say hello to on deck, and we ran into tablemates on shore too!