Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining Solo - Advice Please!

I am traveling solo on the Diamond Princess in January, and although I am a fairly independent person, and excited about the cruise, I am definitely stressing about dining options. I booked traditional dining (late seating) but I don't know if this is the best thing to do. Last time I did this, despite the fact that I requested to be seated with others either traveling solo or "odd numbered parties" I ended up with three couples celebrating their anniversaries. They were all great, but it was a little awkward for me. And worse - one night, each of the three couples must have booked alternative dining and I was at the table alone. Needless to say, it was a little uncomfortable! Should I consider PC dining and just show up and hope for the best? Also, for the alternative dining rooms , -will I be placed at a table for one, as I suspect most people who book these restaurants request a table specifically for their dinner party. Please help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Delores

Default Re: Dining Solo - Advice Please!

I went alone on my first cruise, & was at a table with really nice people. I also met a gal in the cabin next door that was also alone, so we became instant friends. I had a great time on that cruise. It was in 1976. I would post a message & see if you can find other singles going on that particular cruise. Good luck! I'm sure you will have fun!
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM
bushwhacker

Not to worry Jeana! My DH & I take Personal Choice and ALWAYS ask to "share". This means that we are always with other people, some of whom are quite interesting! On our last cruise we met a couple with whom we hit it off, and had the remainder of dinners with them.
On the first evening, ask the maitre d' to seat you with singles, if possible. Do that every evening, and you'll be just fine.
Have a wonderful cruise - I know you will!
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dining Solo - Advice Please!

I would check out the assigned seating the first night, and then, if it doesn't go well, go anytime to the other dining rooms. We had a great time meeting new people with anytime dining, and once we hooked up with several people we enjoyed, we just planned to be at the dining room at the same time and we were seated together.

Old November 20th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I've cruised single quite a few times - and always choose 2nd seating traditional table of 8. Was on the Coral this month with 3 couples and another single woman ... enjoyed it very much. Tried PC once with some friends I had met playing trivia. If you're assigned to traditional, you can always go to PC - BUT not the other way around. I'd recommend you stick with what you've booked. There's usually a big wait list to get the traditional seating.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old November 21st, 2004, 12:49 AM
pg

Just chiming in for PC dining, we asked to share at a " large " table each night except one, and we liked meeting others. We sat with a single fellow( how rare is that!) one night who mostly cruised alone and was so socail he had no trouble finding tablemates.
Try the trad for the first night, then switch to PC if not at a good table.
Old November 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM
Kinsey

So glad to read all these posts. I am contemplating going solo on the Royal for 21 days next April and my main anxiety has been dining alone. I've never cruised alone and am not sure how it would be. Guess I'll take the advice above and ask if any other singles are looking at that cruise - thanks
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Jean S

My husband and I love personal choice and always ask to sit a large table. We met some wonderful people! I like to get up early and eat breakfast in the dining room. My husband sleeps late. I just go by myself and ask to sit with a large group. It was very comfortable and I really enjoyed meeting some new friends.
Old November 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Passenger

I have tried personal choice dining once and really liked it. You have the opportunity to set at a table with different people every night so you're meeting more people. I heard a lot of people that book the ame table for the same time every evening. We also enjoyed eating at different times.
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last winter I sailed on the Sun by myself. Had requested 1st sitting, a table for 8, but was shown to a table for 2. Since the other party had not arrived, I quickly changed to personal choice. Was extremely glad I did. Met a lot of interesting people & most nights ate with the same ones. When going by myself in the future (not everyone can or wants to go when I can) would select personal choice.
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Camelia

Default I've considered cruising solo but have hesitated

because I wasn't sure how comfortable it would be..this is encouraging..but there is another major stumbling block..and that is..the single supplement I would have to pay..it's simply too much to have to pay the enormous addition to your fare..unless it's a really special deal..but then again I don't think I've ever seen singles specials on cruises..do such things exist??

Camelia
Old December 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Camelia......email me and I will send you a few sites that cater to single cruisers. Also check out the Singles web page here..............go to People, and then click on Singles.