Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Texas Cruiser

Default Just off Grand - Any ?'s

Hello! We are back from our 11/13/04 Grand cruise out of Galveston. The cruise was amazing! The ports of call were mostly spectacular (except for Belize - terrible unless you have a tour). I will be posting a review sometime this week. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just off Grand - Any ?'s

We're on the Grand/Dec. 28 cruise, so any suggestions you have would be appreciated. How is the Port of Galveston in terms of handling a ship of this size - loading, unloading, etc.?
An earlier writer commented that many of the crew seemed new to the job and inexperienced - haven't had that happen on any other Princess cruise.

Thanks,

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am scheduled for a cruise on the Grand in Feb. I keep reading horror stories. Reassure me that they have worked out the kinks and we will have a good time!
MJ
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Texas Cruiser

We didn't experience any kinks other than having to wait to board the ship due to Customs Personel not arriving on time. Other than that, our cruise was perfect! All of the problems I've seen mentioned from the first five day cruise were not evident on our 7 night. The staff performed like a seasoned crew who knew what they were doing. Each performed with a smile and a willingness to do anything you requested. The ship is beautiful although they are still updating a few things. We saw carpet in less active areas being changed out while we were onboard. Lots of railings being painted, etc, but it was all general up-keep type work you would expect to see on any ship. We have cruised both RCCL ships out of Galveston (along with Celebrity from FL and Cunard from NY) and found this to be our favorite cruise of all. The ship and staff are what made it so.
As for Galveston as a port of call...it's like any other cruise line who moves to a new port for the first time. There is always some confusion in the beginning, but nothing to be upset about. Other than getting on the ship late, everything ran smoothly and the personel moved us through the lines as quickly and efficiently as possible. We have no complaints and I think everyone will enjoy this cruise thoroughly! Just have an open mind and a kind heart, because the staff is truly giving their best. By the way, debarkation couldn't have been easier. We got off of the ship faster than any I've ever left. I assume embarkation for the next group of passengers went very smoothly.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LindaGG

Do you have any suggestions on what to do in Belize and Majahaul? I'm going Dec. 11 and don't have anything planned for those ports.
Thanks, Linda
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Texas Cruiser

I will be posting my reviews sometime today. I made two because the first one about the ship got to be so long. The second one covers the ports of call on the Grand Princess cruise out of Galveston. It has a number of suggestions. Hope that helps!
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Nonda Whitaker

Is it alright to take bottled water onboard? I have heard each bottle is $3 and I drink several bottles a day.
Did you find the service good or bad in the Steak House and how were the steaks?
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Thanks again for your two posts on your recent cruise; they are very helpful.
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Texas Cruiser

It's easy to take water onboard and I would recommend it. The surest way to get sea sick is to get dehydrated. Each stateroom has a frig in it, and it's very convenient to just pull a cold bottle of water out and drink it when you are in your room. We fill a small rolling suitcase with ours and have never had a problem getting on the ship.
As far as the steakhouse, we never ate there. The people we talked to who did, really enjoyed it. They have a nice menu of choices and for the $15 per person, seems like a good deal. Hope you enjoy!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Texas Cruiser where is you're cruise report? We will be sailing our first cruise 3/25 and would like more info about the ports and excursions.Are especially interested in the dolphin swim.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Yes! Where is your review?? Tell us what you did in the ports.Please!! Cant wait till Feb 4th! Dot
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Beginner

We ate at the steak house on the Grand this past week and it was very good. The portions are huge, and the shrimp are as well. It was a nice change of venue from the main dining rooms, and the cost was not too steep, but keep in mind that the dining room food and service is also excellent. The best steak we had all week was actually in Da Vinci one night.
In terms of trips - we took the "Tale of Two Cities" tour in Belize and enjoyed it very much. Some guests, however, found the bus ride to and fro long (about 1 1/2 hours) and too bumpy, and it was very hot at the site itself, so some of the older crowd spent little time exploring and more time looking for shade or sitting in the AConditioned bus. The canopy tour was a huge hit with the more adventurous crowd, as was a cave tour with snorkels. My husband did a couple of fishing trips on the two Mexican stops and loved them both - caught barracuda and the like. On Grand Cayman we took the quick and fun Trolley Roger tour and my husband did the snorkelling. Both were fun.
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Admiral

When I ventured on the Grand Princess in Novemebr '04, at the Belize stop, I shopped at the mall on the pier. In Costa Maya I went on the ruins your and it was absolutely amazing. I watched the archeologists working on the digs and learned to spot uncovered pyramids. In Georgetown, Grand Cayman I went on the Jolly Roger ship. Free, unlimited rum punch, shooting cannon at the cruise ships and jumping overboard to swim! In Cozumel I went on the ruins tour there, also and had a great time. You can't go wrong with these choices!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Default Excursions not through the cruiseline and tendering

We are planning to take this cruise in March and would like to make the most of our times at ports. Do you have advise on excursions/tours, including ones offered by people other than the cruise line? I know that you can get better deals if you don't book the cruise excursions, but I am not sure how likely we would be able to make it to them in time for the tour due to tendering delays. I have seen Captain Marvin's tours out of Grand Cayman recommended on numerous reviews, but since our boat doesn't dock in this port until 12pm Central time and their excursion starts at 2pm Cayman time (or 1pm Central time), with a check-in time of 1:15pm Cayman time (12:15pm Central time), it doesn't look like we would make it. Any information on this would be appreciated!
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Passenger

can anyone tell me what kind of sweetener the Grand has. DH is diabetic and likes splenda. I do not remember if they have the pink, blue or yellow stuff or a combination of these.
Old January 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Passenger

mj --

Just returned this afternoon and they have everything BUT Splenda -- pink, blue and good ole white. I took my own Splenda as that is what I prefer too ... of course I could only hack the coffee for about 2 days so didn't matter too much ... HTH!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Passenger

THanks Kosmo
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Beginner

does anyone ever wear jeans on formal night?
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Hi chucksgirl,

From the Princess website:

Quote:
Smart Casual Evenings:
Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.
• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
• Pants and open-neck shirts for men
In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:
• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies
• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men
If you are planning on eating in the buffet you could wear nice jeans, but I think you'd feel out of place, even there.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014