Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Default 1st family cruise

Hello!
My mother is taking my family and sister's family on 7day Christmas cruise. Between the 2 families we have 4 teenagers...14-18 years old. I guess I have a few questions and would appreciate any tips for making this a great experience for all. So here I go...Shore excursions--anyone done the canopy adventure in Ochio Rios?(and survived); doing this for the sake of the teens but not fond of heights but I'll "handle it". Hope to take pictures but not sure if can while participating. Any chance that swimming with the dolphins at Cozumel persons on waiting list get to partake? Any one else been on a waiting list?
How stringent are the "casual" dining dress codes? For the teens are nice shorts, no jeans O.K.?
What do people use that is best for possible seasickness...Dramamine pills or patches or whatever?
We fly through travel package in association with Princess(?) and board the same day. Not tons of time between flight arrival and embarking at Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions?
Any older teens things that the kids won't want to miss?
Does Santa find your ship for Christmas? (Just kidding...we broke the news about Santa yesterday :-)
Thanks for any tips!
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: 1st family cruise

We sailed on the CP this past summer for a graduation gift for our twin girls. We had kids from 10 to 18 on board and they had an absolute blast. I was the most worried about our 15 year old son and he seemed to have the most fun. Having other family members will be fun and help them to get into the teen activities on board. We did the western last summer and our family swam with the sting rays in Conzumal. Our kids loved it. I shopped and stayed on the ship. When I cruise I love just to hang out and relax. As far as embarking after flying with Princess you will have no problem. We have already booked another on the CP and we're sailing January 22. We have 37 more days till we sail not that I'm counting. Please feel free to e mail me with any questions.

Maggie
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 1st family cruise

Hello, i will try to help you out here.
Jamaica - haven't done that tour - sorry. We had a blast doing Dunns River Falls.
Casual Dress Code - absoutley no shorts in the dining room during dinner hours, jeans are not allowed(besides they are waaay to heavy and hot for the Caribbean - don't even bother to travel in them). Dockers or Cargos with polo shirts for the boys, capris or a short skirt with a cute top for the girls.
If you are wait-listed for the Dolphin Swim the odds are not in your favor, not too many people cancel. If you can't do the swim, spend the day at the park you can relax on the beach, do some snorkeling, they have a nice aquarium, gift shop, replica of the ruins.
Check your air to see if you have a good air route or if you have to make lots of connections. You can usually do so much better on your own, ask your TA to shop around for your air. Fly in the day before if you do it on your own - so much easier and less stressfull. One good part about using the cruise lines air is when you fly in the same day if the plane is late or whatever, they will hold the ship for you or fly you to the next port if you miss the ship.
Seasickness - it all depends upon your system. If you get severe motion sickness when you fly or drive ask your Dr if he will prescribe the patch for you. It works great but can have some nasty side effects in some people. Bonine works great for the vast majority of people. I would bring it just in case. If you don't get any kind of motion sickness then you should be just fine. The ships are very stable. Ginger works great for the mild queezies- ginger-ale, ginger cookies, there is even a ginger pill that you can get at your local drugstore(over the counter). DH gets me a glass of ginger-ale to sip on when the ship starts to move just to ease my system a bit. That's all it takes.
Enroll your younger teens into the teen center.They don't have to take part in any of the activites if they don't want to, but if they want to use the computer games(big hit) they must be enrolled to enter the teen center.
Anything else???
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: 1st family cruise

Hi Maggie!
Thanks for the info! Sounds like they will enjoy the stingray swimming, actually all of us are doing it and should be fun! One other reply to my message indicated that the kids should sign up for the teen center if not just for the computer/video games. Oh, by the way did you find that the shows at night are for teens or do they do something else. Did you feel safe with them wandering around as a group of 3 or 4? Thanks again ahead of time for the info!
Sharon
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: 1st family cruise

Hi Lisa!
Thanks for your great reply! I had heard about ginger pills too, but will definitely take the Bonanine or Dramamine pills for back-up. What did you think about the shows at night and will the kids enjoy them? Hope you're wrong about the dolphins but expect that you hit it on the nose with that guess. Maybe I'll somehow contact the ship and see if they can check into this. Do you recall if formal nights included ties on the guys. I bet it'll say in the cruise book. Well, thanks for your help!
Only 5-1/2 days till we take off! Yeah!
Sharon
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: Re: Re: 1st family cruise

We enjoyed the shows each night. Sometimes our girls came along to watch esp. the comedy shows. We didn't see much of our 15 year old son. I felt safe for him to roam the ship. We used walkie-talkies for our 10 year old as far as her checking in and out of her activities. She did the kid program and loved it! Defiently take walkie talkies. All of our kids enjoyed dressing up at night even the son. He wore a suit with a tie both nights. That was our only rule for the week-everyone eats together in the dining room. We had a great time doing this and it exposed them all to new foods. Your kids should be fine in a group of 3 or 4. My 10 year old girl met 3 other little girls and I was ok with her hanging out with them and roaming the ship. We would pick a place to meet and check in. Set up a spot by the pool so everyone knows where you will be. We sail again in 36 days. Can't wait.

I also agree strongly with Sharon about the ginger. I get a little sick and found the ginger ale and keeping a little food in your stomach helped the most. The CP is very stable and had no problem at all when we sailed this summer. I needed the patch on the Golden a few years ago and only had a headache.

Maggie