Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Rick Matteson

Default Dawn Princess -- itinerary change

Princess has drastically changed theiir itinerary for the Dec. 30 sailing. Princess Keys (their own island) was hard-hit by hurricanes, so that elimination makes sense. But they also wiped out Margarita Island and trimmed Curacao and Dominica into half-day stops. They refuse to divulge why they made the changes, citing only the very mysterious "operating requirements." The changes certainly are within their rights, but it seems they would be more customer sensitive with the reasons for the changes. Does anyone know the real reasons?
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:32 PM
bigwhite

Default Re: Dawn Princess -- itinerary change

I am on this cruise in March...I hope those changes are not in effect then....whats up anyone
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM
bigwhite

Phoned today to Princess...Sat..18th....said they still go to Guamache and the times are still the same for the other places...all day....perhaps to Nassau instead of Princess Cay...who knows what is really up....our cruise on the Dawn is in March
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

According to friends who work for Princess, sometimes when itineraries are changed, port times have to be shortened due to dock space. These itineraries are printed many months in advance and no one can know what can happen to any given island at any time.

I do think the cruise lines do their level best to keep to original plans but circumstances sometimes prevent this. They certainly do not want to have unhappy passengers. They also have decisions to make even after the cruise has started - if they have to divert due to weather and there are already 8 ships in St. Thomas, the next best place would be whatever place has docking availability.

Of course, distance plays a factor here too: if a "close" island promised 8 hours ashore, but that island is inaccessable, an island that takes longer to get to will have to be a shorter shore stay.

In my opinion - I really don't care where we go - I'm on a ship! I'm happy!
Old December 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Kathy D

There have been a lot of posts on this subject on cruise critic.com. It seems that the Dawn is still "breaking in" the new engine that was part of the drydock in November. Not sure how long this will go on.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Princess need to "own" up to any problems that weren't resolved with the engines..if my trip is changed so be it but I would like to know far enough out to make my own plans for the changed ports instead of using the ships tours or just having to wing it at the last minute. We are on the Feb 28th sailing.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
bigwhite

I am with you....we are on Mar 20 sailing....hope that is far enough ahead for Princess to get all the problems solved.....was looking at other choices for Mar 20 and there is quiet a few but have to pay full deposit by next week so prob will stay with my res on this ship...cold up here in Canada...
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am not sure which is better..to know nothing or to read the diffrent message boards with the rumors and misinformation..I think I will wait until my docs come later in Jan. and then recheck the personilizer for updates.