Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Lis

Default Emergency on Golden Princess

Anyone on the Golden Princess 12/19 to 12/26? They asked for anyone with o- blood type to report to the medical center (12/24 evening). None of the cruise staff would comment on the emergency. Had to be VERY serious for them to do a person to person blood transfusion. They had about 200 people volunteer and took 46 pints of blood. Another strange thing was that we were only a few hours out of Aruba but instead of turning back we went full speed for 24 hours to San Juan to offload the passenger. WEIRD!! I'm concerned because cruises are not required to report crime statistics as they are governed by the country that the ship is registered in. A lot more crime happens on ships than we are aware of.

Anyone with any info, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Emergency on Golden Princess

Why do you think a crime is involved? As a nurse, I can think of at least a dozen medical emergencies that would require massive blood transfusions! For example: a severed limb, internal bleeding, blood dyscrasias, types of leukemias, severe trauma, etc.

Old December 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Lis

Default Re: Re: Emergency on Golden Princess

You're right about that - there are plenty of reasons for blood transfusions. It's just the way that the whole cruise staff was acting about it - hard to explain. I've been on ships where people have died or had some serious illness and needed to be tendered off, etc., and the staff didn't act the same way. Really, I have no idea if it was a crime or not, it's just that NO ONE knew what happened and EVERYONE WAS TALKING about it. Even your favorite waiter or cabin steward was keeping mum about the situation. I've never encountered such secrecy - usually you can find at least one passenger or crew member that knows the story...
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM
venice

Default Re: Emergency on Golden Princess

in today's world, the staff was probably advised to keep the nature of the person's illness private to protect the person and the cruise line...in the work place today, no longer can management share a person's illness or post it for fear of being sued under the patient's right to privacy act