Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Elena Lamberson

Default Lap tops

We will be on the Golden Princess (my first cruise) in the southern Caribbean 2/13-20 -my question - should we bring our laptop?. It has a wireless card in it. If we bring it, can we use it in our room or do we have to take it to a cafe or other hot spot? How does this work on ships? Or, is it just not worth the effort of taking it along? We need to do email daily. Thanks Elena
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Dana Cline

Default Re: Lap tops

Elena,

I always bring my laptop, but until recently I wasn't able to connect it to the ship's network. Rather than pay the ship's prices for net access (on their computers), I just carried the laptop ashore in each port. The crew members can tell you where all the internet cafe's are, and you can attach your laptop for maybe $3/hour.

Besides, if you take the laptop, you can use it to hold all those digital photos when the memory card gets full, right? And use it to write your review that we look forward to reading <g>.

Dana
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Mike H.

I asked a customer service rep at Princess about wireless on the Sun. He informed me that "all" Princess ships now have wireless in all staterooms.

He said that the fees vary from ship to ship and he could not quote me any prices.

If anyone knows how this works and what the price tag is I'd like to know.

Thanks
Mike H.
Old January 8th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Joe H.

Wireless is not in the rooms on the Sun, only in the atrium.
Old January 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Unless something changed VERY recently Princess does not have wireless availability on the cabins.

The Internet cafe, and the atrium area.. or lounges close by are hot spots.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Lap tops

Does anyone know if it's OK to send a laptop through the x-ray machines on board?
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I always bring my laptop on my cruises. There is no problem with laptops and x-ray scanners.

Princess now has wireless, for a fee, access onboard all ships. It is available in the atrium areas only. If you want it in your cabin you will hook up with the old, slow, unreliable, phone hook up. Here is there press release from December:

12/3/2004

Princess Expands Internet Options with Fleetwide Wireless Access, New Internet Cafés
Passengers Can Now Log On with Personal Laptops Aboard Every Ship

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (December 03, 2004) - Passengers who pack their own laptop can now use it to check their email or surf the Internet aboard any Princess ship. Wireless "hotspots" for Internet access have been expanded throughout the fleet, and are now available on all 14 Princess vessels.
Passengers who want to enjoy web surfing from the comfort of their own computer can purchase Internet time for just 35 cents per minute and settle back to check their email or stock quotes from any of the ships' atrium areas.

In addition, the Internet will be even more accessible aboard several ships which will sport new Internet Cafés, significantly expanding the number of computer terminals onboard.

"Staying connected is important to many of our passengers," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president of customer service and sales. "So we are continually looking for ways that we can offer the convenience of additional Internet services that enable people to keep in touch on vacation. We have been gradually rolling our Wi-Fi program out over the past year and are very pleased to now be able to feature it fleetwide."

Passengers may purchase time on Princess' Wireless Network at the passenger services desk at a rate of $10.50 for 30 minutes. To access the network, users will need a laptop with wireless capabilities. Passengers with computers that do not already have a wireless network card may purchase a 'Windows XP' compatible card on board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me