Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Sixpk56

Default first cruise

We are going on our first cruise this March on the Star Princess. We are really looking forward to going. Anybody out there can give first time cruisers any advice. The more the merry.

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:19 PM
r. williams

Default Re: first cruise

DON'T overpack. Don't sweat the small stuff. Kick back leave your troubles at home and enjoy.
Robert
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM
chuckw

Where are you going? It will help people to give you infor if they know more about you and what you like to do. I like to read all the boards on destination and plan ahead of time everything I'm going to do. I think you get a lot more for your money if you plan your excursions with private guides rather than the ship excursions. On the ship i would pick late seating for dinner. It gives you more port time as well as time to get ready for dinner rather than rushing back to shower. Not to mention sunset is about the same time as first seating and you dont want to miss that. If you ar lucky enough to get to Princess Cays, go over the small bridge to the right of the tender dock. You will be happy over because it has everything that the larger side has and half the people. The snorkling is best right infront of the beach around the rock jetty. We found lobster, eels and all kinds of fish. The drink card is ok if you like soda. The shows at night are more broadway style if you like that kind of thing. The great thing about cruising is there is something for everyone. You can do it all like me or just sit back read a book and relax... like my wife.
Just have fun.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Sixpk56

Default Re: Re: first cruise

ty for the info I'm all ears on what to do and where to do it. We are sailing March 27 on the Star Princess. We are actually going down the day before. This is our first as you can probably tell with all the questions. And besides its our 25th for its really extra special.
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Dana Cline

25th anniversary? Cool - our 25th is this year too.

I have too many tips for first-time cruisers...take a look at my web site at www.logicsmith.com in the Adventures section. In particular, our first cruise on the Sea Princess for our 20th anniversary.

The Renewal of Vows package was particularly nice...

Dana
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Sixpk56

Ty for the web. Really enjoyed all the pics and info you had to offer. I will also go and get that book that you suggested. Your web site is very well organized and has alot of info that will come in very handy.
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

this web site is jammed packed with great information, read the boards, ask lots of questions, the "veteran" cruisers here just love to share boat loads of info.
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Dana Cline

Thanks for the comments! My tips section isn't finished yet.

If you can tell us which ports you'll be visiting, we can make recommendations there too.

Dana
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Passenger

We are going on the Western Caribean . Traveling on the Star Princess.We are on the Dolphin Deck. We will be going to Princess Cays, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ochios Rios and then home (Florida). We have a mini suite with a balcony.
All the answers I have received so far and so very helpful. Thanks to you all
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:46 AM
JMB

Take a night light and extension cord, outlets are scarce. Robes and fruit are free and so is room service, just a tip for room service. We loved the balcony. Costa Maya is not a great port and taxi drivers are crazy. Swim with the Dolphins in Cozumel is a treat, our grandchildren did that. Drinks are expensive and they add a 15% tip on them. If you want booze in your room put it in luggage you don't carry on.

HAPPY 25TH ANNIVERSARY-----We are on our 56th in May
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Mike H.

My wife and I were on the Star in Alaska. Great ship and crew. Have fun..........
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
kpk

Have a great cruise! You will love it. Couple of small tips: - don't hesitate to order room service - you can leave the card out the night before and they will bring to your room at the time you specify. It is wonderful to sit on the balcony and enjoy your coffee every day. You should bring some $1.00 bills so you can tip them as well.
They will bring anything you ask for - on the menu or not.
Another thing - we brought a small clock as there are no clocks in the room.
Lastly, I always pack wire hangers and just leave them there at the end of the cruise. They will bring you more wooden ones if you ask but I find it easier just to pack a few at the bottom of our cases.
Have fun!!!!
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Ernie

You will love the Star. I will be on her for 27 days in starting in September. Princess does a good job of taking care of its clients. If you need something, just ask.
Don't over pack - Don't over eat - Walk the decks or use the Spa - Do everything you can and go to sleep tired and happy. The Star is one of my favorite ships and you will have a wonderful adventure, I know that.
Sabatini's is costly but well worth the time and money, I think. Otherwise, just enjoy the regular restaurants and the Horizon Court. The Pizza is delicious. Have FUN!
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing you ought to know about booking shore excursions.
If you do it on your own, on line, it is often less expensive than the cruise line excursions HOWEVER, if you happen to miss that port, because of weather, or whatever, you lose your money. If your excursion is late back to the ship, and the ship is gone, too bad...........you have to pay your own way home or to the next port to meet the ship. If you go on a ship's excursion, the ship will WAIT for you, if you are late, and they will refund your money if the shore excursion is cancelled for ANY reason. The other thing is that you can cancel your excursion, on board, 24 hours in advance, and you cannot do that if you book your own tour.
I'm not trying to scare you, just to point out something that noone else has pointed out.
Also, don't panic about your clothes. Your clothes will be fine. Noone has seen any of them before. People wear anything from shorts, capris, slacks, jeans during the day, and everything from "church" clothes, to dressy pants suits, to formal ball gowns in the evening. If you feel dressed up, you ARE!!!! Your shoes are fine................whatever they are................you see tennies, sandals, loafers, dock shoes, flats, low heels, and spike heels at night..............be COMFORTABLE on that moving ship. The distances are far on a ship, and walking from one end of the Star, to the other, when its moving, in stilletto heels can be very uncomfortable..
Best thing about a first cruise is that it's a first cruise!!! You'll have a wonderful time, and there wont ever be another cruise, however delightful, that lives up to that first cruise. Wonderful...................
Have a great cruise, and don't WORRY!!

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your comments
DesrtDrmr I want to thank you for being to the point. Very well said. Yes you are exactly right in what you say about it will never be the same once that first cruise is taken. The excitment of that day approaching and all the arrangements and packing finally come to an end and before you realize your sitting on the plane on your way to the port. I can hardly wait till that anticipated day will finally be here. Besides the weather is in the -30 with the wind chill so at this point and where is better than here. hehehehe

Have a care